Light-O-Rama Forums

Number one cause for signal lag?

oilmoney

For the past week or so I've been troubleshooting signal lag on my display. I'm running two networks and have unplugged each and tested to see if I can isolate one with no luck. Does this point to my computer then? I'm just wondering what the forum feels is the usual suspects causing signal lag.

#1 cause would be too much data trying to go down the network.  There is a finite amount of data that can be sent over a network.

How many channels in use on each network?  What speed are the networks running?

2400 channels... says right in his signature...

Is it possible it isn't lag, but maybe the music shifted a little in the sequence?

Drew

It's not a timing problem, it just freezes right up, lights don't come on when they should, etc.  I'm running closer to 2600Ch now I think, here's what I've got.

Network regular: 1-4,11, 14-21 27-29, 2A, 2F, 1602's

5-0A CCR's

31 CMB24D

30 CCP's

Aux 1 network  0B-10 CCR's

12,1E,1F, CMB24D's

13, CCP's

I've been experimenting with the different speeds, for some reason my CCR's don't work on 500k so I've been using the next level below ( 128 I think? )

Should I consider an aux B network with just 6 CCR's on it? I'm almost to the point that I'm just going to live with it.lol                  

It's not a timing problem, it just freezes right up, lights don't come on when they should, etc.  I'm running closer to 2600Ch now I think, here's what I've got.

5-0A CCR's

31 CMB24D

30 CCP's

12,1E,1F, CMB24D's

13, CCP's

I've been experimenting with the different speeds, for some reason my CCR's don't work on 500k so I've been using the next level below ( 128 I think? )

Should I consider an aux B network with just 6 CCR's on it? I'm almost to the point that I'm just going to live with it.lol                  

When I built my 12 ribbon CCR tree 3 years ago, 500K was not available. When I ran my sequences I experienced a lot of lag, particularly during complex/busy sequences . Running at 115K, I split up the ribbons onto 2 networks and it fixed the problem.

I had to upgrade the firmware on my CCR's in order to run at 500K (when it became available), you might look into that as well.

Frank

When I built my 12 ribbon CCR tree 3 years ago, 500K was not available. When I ran my sequences I experienced a lot of lag, particularly during complex/busy sequences . Running at 115K, I split up the ribbons onto 2 networks and it fixed the problem.

I had to upgrade the firmware on my CCR's in order to run at 500K (when it became available), you might look into that as well.

Thanks frank,  I'll download and install tomorrow. Can I update the controllers where they sit in the network or do I physically have to remove them and update one at a time?

5-0A CCR's

31 CMB24D

30 CCP's

12,1E,1F, CMB24D's

13, CCP's

If you're running at 115K, that's a lot of channels.  As I recall, the general rule of thumb was 6 CCRs which is 900 channels per network.  You're exceeding that by quite a bit.  If all of your controllers are G3 (some will require a firmware update), then you can up to 500K which very likely fix your problem.  If you have some controllers that can't run 500K, you could re-arrange your networking so the older controllers are on a 115K network and the newer ones are on a 500K circuit.  That's what I'm doing.  My regular network is 56K non-enhanced (there's only 12 channels on it), AuxA is 115K enhanced (there's less than 50 channels on it), and AuxB is 500K enhanced (it has 900 channels of CCPs on it).  Everything else is E1.31.

Thanks frank,  I'll download and install tomorrow. Can I update the controllers where they sit in the network or do I physically have to remove them and update one at a time?

I updated each of mine over the network without any issues.  Took less than 30 minutes to do all 12.

did the same thing as Frank; ran 2 different LOR networks, one at 115k and one at 500k plus 6000 channels dmx; 

had lag and erratic results before splitting network(per Bob), none after

Did the update help?

Drew

After reading these replies yesterday I checked my firmware and found I was out of date on every controller so I updated everything! The display is running alot smoother now with just one freeze up so far on my busiest sequence! Thank you forum! You guys never let me down!

• The topic was locked