Light-O-Rama Forums

The Best Tip I Can Ever Give

Robin

These forums are full of tips but I am going to give you the best one of all.

Three years ago I got to know a guy who comes to my display. We talk everytime he comes. He is also a department head at a HD. As soon as something hits sale price he gives me a call. He knows what I need and calls me.

Here are some examples.

First he always tells me when the half and 3/4 sale date hits.

Last year. He called to tell me they had some very heavy duty in line contrator cords on clearance. The reg. price was $35 and I bought a dozen for $10 a piece.

This year he called to tell me about the "dump store" just up the road. He checked to see what was on hand and I went up and had a very good day.

But today is the best.

He called me today and told me they pulled an entire pallet of 3 pack extension cords off the top shelf. These are green 6'-9' 15' cords that sell for $5.99 during the season. He held some back for me till I got there and then I got some more. Ended up with 84 packs of three each. That is a little over $0.42 per cord!! So when was the last time you purchased any of those individually for that amount.

So my advise is to make a friend or two. I have one in Lowes and one in Wal Mart but they did not have anything I wanted this year.

I guess I did make a good purchase.

I just happened to stop in at HD. I asked the clerk how much mark-down was on the extension cords and she said they weren't marked down, just the lights.

When I did some checking on the shelves, these three packs were marked down (1.24 per pack). I bought 20.

Next year I plan to animate. These 60 cords should give me a good start.

Robin - I appreciate the Home Depot hint. But our local store has to be one of the worse in the country.

No matter what time of day, no matter what day of the week it is, there is only one checkout lane open.

The people hide and give wrong answers when you find them.

The funny thing is, nearly all my LEDs are Home Depot brand lights.

The biggest improvement to the store since it opened was the addition of the self check-out.

I will have to go there tomorrow and buddy up to the managers.

Dale.

Clerks? Those nose-miners (apologies to all HD clerks that are offended by the behavior of their Madison counterparts).

Looks like I will have to go to Lowes.

:shock:

I have met one or two clerks that are very nice and very good at their jobs at our HD. Unfortunately, they end up going somewhere else quickly.

I promise you, our store has to be the worse in the state (I know because I pillage the rest for their lights).

Funny thing, Robin--I bought those same extension cord packs at the beginning of the season...the green packs...for like that price...(5.99)! lol

I agree that it pays to become friends with the empoyees. And usually the employees will tell you anything they know. I agree wtih Robin...the mangers are the ones who might withold info. This is good avice. Robin probably tries to be friendly with the employees all year long...not just Oct-Jan. If they know you (and are still there by October), they want to be your hero and help. Bring photos the next few times you go to the store...it will go far.