Light-O-Rama Forums

12 pixel strip tree ?

dan martens

I have a 12 pixel strip tree. At the ends of the pixel strip the cap doesn't seem very sealed. Think I should silicone up better or leave as a vent. The part I'm talking about is the cap were the wires push the the cap. I can't see through but Im questioning myself on this one

Thanks

Seal it.  Since the silicon tube can expand and contract with temp and pressure changes, you don't have the issue of creating a pressure difference across the possibly leaky seal.

I just ran into this myself. Supposedly weatherproof strips were not. In fact, water got in the top through small holes in the sealant and/or the wires themselves as they are twisted and run through the sealant. Water got in and caused huge problems. Now one thing to understand, the silicone cover, is nearly impossible to glue back together, if you cut it open. Try not to do this. RTV will work somewhat but not great. I'm trying some marine silicone adhesive which seems to do a little better. Standard epoxies, superglues and so on, will not work. I know...just tried all of them.

Make sure the silicone you use is Silicone II. http://www.zoro.com/ge-window-and-door-sealant-28-oz-clear-ge500/i/G4613007/?gclid=CPSAyrDDoMkCFUM2gQodQUsE7w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not necessarily where I buy, but I use this product. If used correctly, you won't have water ingress.