Light-O-Rama Forums

HOW do you CONNECT ENTTEC OPENDMX with LOR?!

jkitaeff

DMX Newbie here. I cannot find ANYWHERE on the basics when it comes to hooking up a DMX universe (HARDWARE) to my LOR sequences. I've done all my due diligence and simply do not understand how to connect the hardware. I'm sorry if my newbieness sets anyone off, there simply just isn't one youtube video or lamens explanation that shows from the begininng how to setup the hardware (along with the software).

I have a Enttec Open DMX Ethernet device that has BOTH a 5-pin DMX IN/OUT. I'm trying to hook up a Chauvet Geyser Fog Machine with a 3-pin IN/OUT (also has a 5-pin).

My questions:

1.) Do I go from Laptop > LOR Interface > LOR Box > Enttec > DMX ?!

2.) Do I go from Laptop > LOR Interface > Enttec > DMX?? (If this is the case, how do I keep my existing LOR seqence running?)

3.) If yes (or no), what do I do next so I can control/further set up my dmx device?

4.) If I have a 3-pin male & 5-pin female -- will that work? (I originally thought the dmx device was only three pin, that's why...)

Thank you so much, I cannot wait to set this up.

Jake

jkitaeff@gmail.com

First you connect you Enttec to a com port on computer not to lor usb485 then go into lor network preferences and a set a universe for that dongle

• Like 1

I tried to answer you yesterday but a storm kept kicking me off line..............

exactly what Dennis said.....just  to add a bit...

You will use 2 usb ports, 1)LOR rs485 2)enttec

Once you setup your universe in  network preferences it will play along with your sequence and other effects. I believe Holiday COro has a video tutorial on their acti Dongle which you would hook up the same way

Thanks Saxon! My Enttec has a cat5 input on one side and the xlr's/dmx in/outs on the other. Do I need to connect the cat 5 to the ethernet port on my computer? I know you mentioned USB, but there is no USB port on my enttec... Would this work? Or do I also need a converter from cat5 to usb?

The Enttec dongle should have come with its own cable that plugs into a com port on the computer, DON"T use an Ethernet port.

The enttec dongle only has an ethernet port on one side and in/out xlr(s) on the other. Does this mean I need to get a cat5 to usb converter? Would that work? Or is this the totally wrong device? I don't understand...

Edited by jkitaeff

Hi most of us use DMX dongles connected over USB ports your dongle is connected via the Ethernet port of your computer and sends signals out in Art-net protocol not sure if it is compatible with lor maybe some one with more knowledge of your type of DMX dongle can give more info.

• The topic was locked