Light-O-Rama Forums

2008 idea

ken collins

Has anybody done a melting snowman yet? My 2008 idea, put a mouth on him, and let him tell about the show, and stay out of the yard. Then have him melt and the show start.. Just look'n for some ideas

Hey, that's a good idea! If I did it I would have the three "snowballs" each on their own channel, then the mouth movement on 2 channels, and "water" on the ground. After he is finished talking, very slowly fade in the water and fade out the top section, middle, then bottom. Oh the possibilities!

Greg

Hay Greg, Was actually thinking about making it all fold down on its self, so only his top hat is left sitting on a pool of water. I have a hobby machine shop set-up at home. was thinking of use"n a scissor type lift, but don't know if i'll use air, hydr..., or electric power. I'm making one, I could be talked into making another if you want to help design it...

Ken

I can't remember who, but someone on PC a few years ago shared a video where they had an inflatable snowman, then a wireframe/coro sun turned on and the snowman melted, but before he totally melted the sun went out and a "cold wind" turned on and blew him back to life.

At the time I was concerned about the inflatable blower being switched off and on all the time might be hard on it, but that was before Gemmy created all the "animated" inflatables that did exactly that...

-Tim

ken collins wrote:

Has anybody done a melting snowman yet? My 2008 idea, put a mouth on him, and let him tell about the show, and stay out of the yard. Then have him melt and the show start.. Just look'n for some ideas

Oh man,

What a creative idea! Really like the sound of this as the figure melts down laying circular around the body lights spred out until the figure has gone and a big circular pool of light on the ground, resembling water.

BRILLIANT:D

Pete.:cool:

LightsByGreg wrote:

Ha, just thought of one thing. Have a wireframe sun fade in when it is melting :)

Sometimes I get the idea nobody reads my posts :);)

-Tim

Peter B wrote:

Tim, Yeah saw your post above, You definately had the idea there.

Not my idea, just relaying it... :)

-Tim

I'm sorry too Tim. I read all your post's. You and Jeff Millard, Brad Bilger, and Dan have all saved my show one time or another. I'm glad your all on here. I head up to Alaska once or more a month, (my other car is a tug boat), and sometimes can be up there a month or longer, depending on ice, especially this time of year. I do 2 to 4 of those trips, and then take a month off. Sometimes I won't get to my E mail for a month or longer.

Being stuck on a boat for a month gives me the unique opportunity to spend a lot of time programing sequence's and mapping out different show lay-outs. This last trip I built a bunch of wiring harnesses for arch lights, and and caught a rough swell out in the gulf and rattled something loose to come up with the melting snowman idea.

Greg, I'll work on the warm-front for the snowman's demise

This year I had the local community college up to video the show. I didn't have to buy and learn how to use a camera, and they got a project out of it. The party worked out great, but I have as yet to see the finished project. I flipped them a few bucks, and figure it saved me a bunch. Just another idea for you to kick around for next year.

I'm northbound again on Jan 9th, have some new songs to try to sequence, and some to modify, then I'll be full time on our frozen buddy. Thanks for everybody's input, keep it coming, and I promise to keep in touch. I should have a design finalized by March, and start construction in April or May.. Orrrrr whenever I get another month off.

Ken