Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree versus Spiral Tree

PelicanBay

Hello, I am torn.  I am upgrading my show from 16 channels to 32 channels this year.  16 will be my normal show and I am dedicating the second 16 to a tree.  My tree will be around 16' tall with a star on top.  Advice on which is easiest to do, mega or sprial?  I have plenty of lights (33' long) just need to figure out what would be easiest but look the best.  I can do a single color or I can do two different colors. 

Any suggestions?  Any tips?  I'm confused about how to hang the lights so it doesnt pull on the strands and how I hang them if I want them to spiral?

Please help,

Chris

You've got a decision to make. Easiest or best looking.

You want easy, there's not much that's easier than a straight-line mega tree. There's not much that's as boring to look at as a straight-line mega tree either. IMO, of course. (And also Sharon's opinion, the neighbors, my daughter, her daughter, my friends, the TV reporter, and almost everyone else I know.)

A spiral tree with sixteen channels looks awesome. I say do a single color. LED blue is my first choice, but any color will do. The WOW factor of a spiral tree over a straight-line mega is like comparing a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader to Richard Simmons.

• Like 1

For what it's worth I'm doing a 16 channel spiral tree too, and on George's advice am sticking with a single light color -C6 LED green in my case. I think the smoothness of the animation will be worth it and can't wait to see it in lights!

Then again, I should probably get those sequences finished... :-)

I gotta agree with George. Although my Spiral Tree is done in Multi-color strings. I think it looks awesome, as that is also one of my color schemes.

And so we call a mega tree boring... again. And compared to a spiral tree non the less.

So why not go Pixel mega tree and go above the boring spiral tree next to that? I mean no offence but if one can call a mega "straight line" tree boring, then certainly a spiral tree would follow suite next to a pixel tree. :)

After all, a straight line or spiral does the exact same thing. They spin one way or another. No different. Just spin.

I have a mega "straight line" tree and it's not boring at all. Non of my neighbors or guest say it's boring.

I guess it's the owners fault for it being boring. :)

Some have it and some don't I guess...

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I think I am going to go "easy" this year and go with the mega tree.  I will aspire to the spiral tree, or maybe I'll have one of each next year. 

Anyone have any sequences that they would want to share?  I have 8 channels of the roof line, windows, shrubs, etc.  8 channels of mini trees and then the 16 channel mega tree.

Appreciate all the help!

I have both a boring Mega tree and a boring spiral tree. I get complements on both. to each his own. my 18' mega tree is suspended above my 10' fence on one side of my house a the 10' spiral tree is on the ground on the other side. you can look at my fackbook page to see pictures of both.

I have 160 channels and probably 20-30 songs that I have sequenced at one point or another so let my know what you are looking for and I can email you something.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I am going to go "easy" this year and go with the mega tree. I will aspire to the spiral tree, or maybe I'll have one of each next year.

Anyone have any sequences that they would want to share? I have 8 channels of the roof line, windows, shrubs, etc. 8 channels of mini trees and then the 16 channel mega tree.

Appreciate all the help!

What email address?

I'd  go with what you like best, not what's easiest.  But budget may play into it.

I have never really cared for spiral trees.  But with George's comment, did some searching and did find this really cool blue spiral tree.  I have officially been corrected, spiral trees can be cool if done right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYwUa7VRkQ

Edited by mpageler

The good news is that while converting from a mega tree to a spiral tree is a lot of work, you can use the same hardware and sequences.

I do my tree in red white & blue, three strings each. Can use that American flag effect when needed :)

Two color star on top, orange and yellow.

Last year I started on a spiral tree and ended up with a straight tree!

Things I learned.

Build it solid. My biggest problem with the spiral was attaching the strings properly. Couldn't do it.

Leave enough time. That is my plan this year. Getting to it soon so I have the day or two needed to build it, but who knows.

I have the opposite problem.  While I would like to phase out the mega tree....my family and in-laws love it.  The neighbors have made it clear that it's one of the prettiest things to see, and I hear car-loads of people say "OMG look at that tree, look what it's doing, oh wow it changes colors and spins."  The newspaper came out last year to take pictures and they spent the majority of their time trying to capture the tree b/c that was their primary interest.  It only stands 20' but the bottom ring is 3' off the ground.  I have 4000K led's covering red, white, green, blue and multi and uses 13 channels.  Nothing spectacular I don't think, but my opinion is trumped by the vast majority loving it.  That said, I've never used or personally seen a spiral tree to compare it to.

• Like 1

I do two spiral megatrees here. Each has 32 channels and 32 M-6 LED strings each, 15 feet tall. I can make them dance to each other, do identical patterns or whatever I wish. Now what I couldn't decide on was color so I went with "Multi's" and they look great. I was surprised the amount of effects I can generate with this many strings on each. They are a pain to put up as it takes a day to do each but in the long run, they look great.