Light-O-Rama Forums

Understanding how to use others sequences....

kiplorenzo

Hi Gang,

So I know we all share sequences, I build 99% of mine by hand.

Am I missing something here? after you get someone elses sequence, If I import it, it never seems to come out clean.

Does everyone take the shared sequence and edit it to fit their configurations?  in 2013 I had Sandstorm imported, and because I had no RGB and only LOR and a couple DMX, it was fantastic. (See Videos for 2013 on my vimeo page.) but now with RGB, The world Changes and the imports can be messy. Any Advice would help.

Thanks

Kip

Everybodies RGB setups are different. 

Pixels especially.

Unless you have a popular prop (Like a 16CCR tree or a 12CCR tree, or a 13CCR matrix) which is easy, it is hard to find something that will work.

If you use Nutcracker or the Pixel Editor it can be done by just editing the props and keeping effects.

The beat and effects from a shared sequence can be very helpful.    Copy & Paste the parts you want.    Open the shared sequence and look at its patterns.    See what kinds of groups it has and how many in a group.  Look for matches or multiples or evenly divisible group.   if you have 8 trees but the source has 4 then paste twice and flip one side.  You get the idea.

When I get a shared sequence, this is how I do it:

Open Shared sequence{yes, sometimes they are messy if you don't have everything the original sequencer has}

Create a NEW Musical Sequence with the same song {clean slate to work with}

Now I look at the Shared Sequence and Copy and Paste from it what I CAN USE into the newly created sequence.

When done copying and pasting what I can use, I CLOSE the Shared sequence, then I start tweaking the current and only sequence now open in the SE.

By tweaking, that is adding new sequence commands to items I have not found in the original{Shared Sequence} or by modifying existing commands to refelct my item{s} in my newly created sequence that will go into my show display.

I have never used a shared sequence as is for a show, that will never work, as others have stated, each display is different, arrangement of items are different, channel configuartions are different, so it WILL ALWAYS require modification to make it work, just easier to create a NEW sequence and do the copy/paste, then modify and tweak your sequence settings to YOUR taste{flair} and YOUR display setting.

Really is no other way around it.

Edited by Orville

I build/expand the bulk of my sequences with shared sequences.

I never use or import  a complet shared sequenc.  I  look for selected channels that I copy/paste into my sequence.

For example, I have 8 channel porch column light bars.  So I look at my inventory of sequences for a song and search for elements that have give or take, 8 channels like mini trees, archs and such. If they have 10 mini trees, I can drop off two or if 6-7, I can dumplicate a few if I find nothing better.

I do chuckle when I see people asking for 16,32, etc. channels. There's just no way that someone elses 16 channel elements are going to match up with yours.  But a few might by copy/pasting. You just as well request any number of channels for a song.

I chuckle when someone in the sequence market who has 16 or 32 channels contacts me and asks if I've got sequences for sale with fewer channels than the hundreds that mine contain. "What am I supposed to with all the other ones?" is a question I was asked yet again this past weekend. Sometimes, especially this time of year, people just don't realize how much help they truly need.

Although i still give my sequences out, I can't help but think that most people take one look at them and go...Thanks?

• The topic was locked