Light-O-Rama Forums

"Indoor" extension cords outdoors?

Dcroc

For over 30 years I've decorated with cords that are too dumb to know where they are. Never had a problem with any of them getting uppity.

I use "indoor" too. Just keep plug connections off the ground so you're not popping GFCIs all the time.

I have a mixture of both in the box, I use them as come. I don't know what are inside and what are outside. Just make sure you cover the sockets that aren't being used,

I have a mixture of both in the box, I use them as come. I don't know what are inside and what are outside. Just make sure you cover the sockets that aren't being used,

IMHO - OK to cover with tupperware or something, but never cover with tape. Let the moisture pass through but don't trap it inside. As above, just keep off ground.

Edited by Mega Arch

The 'indoor' dont have a ground wire.   Neither do  string lights so I think they are made for each other.     Use a grounded outdoor cord for your AC controllers.

IMHO - OK to cover with tupperware or something, but never cover with tape. Let the moisture pass through but don't trap it inside. As above, just keep off ground.

I use the child safety covers:-

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/24-PCs-Safety-Outlet-Plug-Protector-Covers-Child-Baby-Proof-Electric-Shock-Guard-/261884814163?hash=item3cf98d2353

The 'indoor' dont have a ground wire.   Neither do  string lights so I think they are made for each other.     Use a grounded outdoor cord for your AC controllers.

Your extension leads do not have earth?

Your extension leads do not have earth?

The outdoors ones do, and some indoor ones do, but most of the lighter grade indoor cords do not have a ground.

Here is an example of a US style indoor extension lead.

4877035760102lg.jpg

All UK sockets have shutters. The Live and Neutral do not open until the slightly longer Earth pin has gone in.

What would you do if you wanted to plug in an earthen appliance to one of those sockets?

What would you do if you wanted to plug in an earthen appliance to one of those sockets?

You wouldn't. You would use an earthen ground cord for an earthen ground appliance. Besides, why would we be using an earthen appliance outside with our light displays?

For the indoor cords we have begun using those watertight covers for sale at big boxes and online - we used them for the first time last year and they worked perfectly.

For the indoor cords we have begun using those watertight covers for sale at big boxes and online - we used them for the first time last year and they worked perfectly.

So Jaynee, you have an issue with water indoors?  :huh:  :o  :unsure:

I'm kidding BTW. ;)

Edited by Santas Helper

Well, people in our neighborhood do feel that our homebuilder scrimped on the plumbing (a lot of homes have had burst pipes over the years), so yes, they COULD come in handy!!

Which Covers are these? I have been using Rubber Drain Tubing and Zip Ties to protect my connections that Are on the ground...and we get Snow. :D

I guess I'm old-school.  I don't do a thing to protect connections except maybe avoiding puddles.  Hundreds and hundreds of connections on the ground and all types of cords.  We get snow too, and it has never caused a problem.  I must be doing something wrong.

I guess I'm old-school.  I don't do a thing to protect connections except maybe avoiding puddles.  Hundreds and hundreds of connections on the ground and all types of cords.  We get snow too, and it has never caused a problem.  I must be doing something wrong.

I'm in the same boat George.  :)

As I said above, basically agree with George and Tom. When I said tupperware, here's what I meant (And wished I had taken a good picture as worth 1000 words...):

I have multiple features tied together. Example - 4 front arches, 1 16 channel Mega Arch over my entry sidewalk, and 2 clusters of spike lights all coming from the same 16 channel controller. So I have a wad of cords plugged in to triple taps in 1 confined space. Take empty water bottles a laid them on the ground. Place the mega wads on top of the bottles. Covered with a $1 Walmart black Tupperware type tub. Staked it down with tent stakes. Conceals the ugly mega wad and rain proofs too.

For over 30 years I've decorated with cords that are too dumb to know where they are. Never had a problem with any of them getting uppity.

If there was an award for "Best Answer of the year", this one would get my vote.

• The topic was locked