Light-O-Rama Forums

Best fog machine?

don731

Looking to add one or more fog machines to my setup (interior) using a standard LOR network.  Don't want to go too expensive (under $150 if possible).  Fog machine needs to be triggered several times during the show.

Here is my setup:

https://youtu.be/SgAHEfi9szA

Even though I'm not doing Halloween at this point, I figured this forum would be the best place to ask.

Thanks!

Don in Chicagoland

• Like 1

Holy cow! That's amazing!!!

I wired a simple relay into the "fog" button on cheap 400 watt foggers.  The wattage you want depends on how often/long you want the burst.  I'm a much bigger fan of 1000 + watt machines, because they keep up better, but I'm thinking in terms of a larger display. You can also get a DMX fogger and run in one of your DMX universes. Since it's a indoor display, you can check your local Sam Ash, or Guitar Center, or other music stores that sell stage lighting/FX. You will find foggers that are much more controllable than anything at Walmart or Spirit Halloween. For outdoor I stick with the cheaper units, because no matter what you spend, it's only going to last a couple seasons due to being outdoor. A chiller would also help keep the fog low on that display, rather than turn into clouds right away.

Whatever route you go, please, please, please post links to video when you add it.  I am so taken by this display. Truely, truely amazing.  What a fantastic take on this art.

• Like 2

Any advice on the best SSR relay to use?

Use a relay like this one: http://www.frightprops.com/controllers-electronics/electronic-components/ac-activated-double-pull-double-throw-5-amp-relay.html

This relay is a AC activated relay witch means it is activated with AC voltage, I have used a similar relay in other projects. Because the relay is AC activated you can just connect a plug to the relay and plug it in to a standard LOR channel (However do not dim the channel) on and off only.

- This is a Extremely Helpful website to help wire a fog machine to a relay: http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/Fog/ctlgfg_GemmyFoggerControl.html

Here is a basic wiring diagram provided by fright props the company selling these relays:

ac-activated-double-pull-double-throw-5-

If you would like a more plug and play solution though, CLC Kevin's online store is selling a pre-built fog machine relay circuit in a box: http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/Fogger-Relay-FOG-RELAY.htm

13793087810291665802621.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a basic pin out diagram for most normal fog machines, This should help you if you chose to wire your own relay up:

ctlgfg_RemoteSocket.png

Edited by canadianchristmas

• 6 months later...
On September 22, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Dcroc said:

Holy cow! That's amazing!!!

I wired a simple relay into the "fog" button on cheap 400 watt foggers.  The wattage you want depends on how often/long you want the burst.  I'm a much bigger fan of 1000 + watt machines, because they keep up better, but I'm thinking in terms of a larger display. You can also get a DMX fogger and run in one of your DMX universes. Since it's a indoor display, you can check your local Sam Ash, or Guitar Center, or other music stores that sell stage lighting/FX. You will find foggers that are much more controllable than anything at Walmart or Spirit Halloween. For outdoor I stick with the cheaper units, because no matter what you spend, it's only going to last a couple seasons due to being outdoor. A chiller would also help keep the fog low on that display, rather than turn into clouds right away.

Whatever route you go, please, please, please post links to video when you add it.  I am so taken by this display. Truely, truely amazing.  What a fantastic take on this art.

When you run a dmx fog machine in light o rama you just turn the channel in that universe on and off to turn the fog machine on and off?

On 4/19/2016 at 1:45 AM, Dfoca793 said:

When you run a dmx fog machine in light o rama you just turn the channel in that universe on and off to turn the fog machine on and off?

Like I answered in your other thread, yes.

Try not to bring up old threads, especially when you already started one asking the same.

:D 

I have used Chauvet Fog machines, great output but I have had issues with them lasting beyond two Halloweens.

On April 20, 2016 at 4:11 PM, EmmienLightFan said:

Like I answered in your other thread, yes.

Try not to bring up old threads, especially when you already started one asking the same.

:D 

haha sorry i asked that before i started my own thread

I have two relays with a 120 volt coil. One is used to control the fog machines power, so I'm not using lor to carry the load of the fog machine but still have the ability to turn it on and off. The 2nd relay is used to control the fog itself, I basically soldered one wire to each side of the button and fed it through the relays N/O contacts giving me the ability to discharge fog when ever I want.

This is a picture before completed setup, I have two Indicators on the front of the enclosure one for Machine power and the other for discharge both indicators are 120 V.

fog.jpg

Edited by TitusCarnathan

On 27/04/2016 at 2:50 AM, TitusCarnathan said:

I have two relays with a 120 volt coil. One is used to control the fog machines power, so I'm not using lor to carry the load of the fog machine but still have the ability to turn it on and off. The 2nd relay is used to control the fog itself, I basically soldered one wire to each side of the button and fed it through the relays N/O contacts giving me the ability to discharge fog when ever I want.

This is a picture before completed setup, I have two Indicators on the front of the enclosure one for Machine power and the other for discharge both indicators are 120 V.

fog.jpg

Sorry about the other post.

That is really good. Where did you get the relays from?

Edited by EmmienLightFan

6 minutes ago, EmmienLightFan said:

?

OK... Is this going to turn into another religion thread?

I don't see how fog has anything to do with Jesus, or forgetting the "reason for the season".

Before you get your panties in a knot. Apparently you never used a forum before. You see forums have these things called signatures, it's basically something that will get automatically posted at the bottom of all your replies. That is my signature that appears on everything I post and I have a right to have that there. In your logic What does  Apha Road Christmas Lights have to do with this or your 2015 light shows.

Edited by TitusCarnathan
Added last sentence.

1 hour ago, TitusCarnathan said:

Before you get your panties in a knot. Apparently you never used a forum before. You see forums have these things called signatures, it's basically something that will get automatically posted at the bottom of all your replies. That is my signature that appears on everything I post and I have a right to have that there. In your logic What does  Apha Road Christmas Lights have to do with this or your 2015 light shows.

Sorry.

I was on my phone and the only part of your post that came up was your signature, and I thought it was your post.