Light-O-Rama Forums

Multi-Controller Setup

tscheifler

LOR-BasicLayoutWithShowTime-Central-600x

The ShowTime Central layout shown above is from the LOR web site (http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/#ShowTime_Central).

Question 1 - What do the green-dotted lines to the additional controllers (7) and (8) represent? Is it anything more than the special data cable that "only passes the data and not the power from other controllers"?

Question 2 - If the green-dotted lines are data only, then additional controllers (7) and (8) must each be powered with 120v AC using the supplied plugs, right?

Question 3 - If the mechanical timer (5) is used for the first controller (6), does that mean power is continuous to the additional controllers (7) and (8) or should you use one (or more) timers to control power to all controllers? 

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by tscheifler

Green lines are just Data and 5V to power the boards.

Each controller needs 120V AC to power the lights,

Thanks Phil. I still don't understand the setup as it relates to the mechanical timer? Can you explain?

The timer is used if you are in standalone mode to turn on the power to the first controller . It then provides 5V  power to the director which has the show on an SD card. The show will the play at the assigned time. If you use a pc to run the show this is not required and you can leave the controllers powered 24/7. Some people like to turn them on just before show time.

Ah! So the timer in the diagram is switching power to ONLY the first controller (which supplies power to the director) and the additional controllers get continuous power. Got it.

If I use a single extension cord (10 awg) to supply power to all 3 controllers, is there any reason I cannot put a timer at the origination point of the single extension cord?

Depends on how many and type of lights. LED or just a few incans, then yes. You will need to calculate how much power you are going to draw on each controller and power accordingly.

Depends on how many and type of lights. LED or just a few incans, then yes. You will need to calculate how much power you are going to draw on each controller and power accordingly.

Thanks. I have that covered. If there is nothing else I should be OK.

• 1 month later...