Jim Hans

Att'n Newbies- Setup tips and tricks

31 posts in this topic

Ive always been a huge volt meter fan, but haven't heard many people in the community suggest having one. I had a few vampire plug extension cords go out on me and if I didn't have a volt meter to test the voltage coming out of the controller and then the volts at the end of the extension cord I would have never imagined that a cord laying on the ground working one day without being touched wouldn't work the next day.

Another good item to have is a flashlight that is pose-able. This way you can work on any issues you have during testing or during normal operation without having to take everything apart and go inside or have someone else hold a flashlight.

4 hours ago, Protege94 said:

Ive always been a huge volt meter fan, but haven't heard many people in the community suggest having one. I had a few vampire plug extension cords go out on me and if I didn't have a volt meter to test the voltage coming out of the controller and then the volts at the end of the extension cord I would have never imagined that a cord laying on the ground working one day without being touched wouldn't work the next day.

Another good item to have is a flashlight that is pose-able. This way you can work on any issues you have during testing or during normal operation without having to take everything apart and go inside or have someone else hold a flashlight.

Oh, its been discussed, but a refresher is also welcome. Just like backing up your sequences.

Edited by dibblejr

5 hours ago, Protege94 said:

Invest 20 bucks or so in a bright, good quality, head or hat-mounted light. 

Or, do it the way I did and buy a couple of cheap ones, and when you finally get frustrated with their shortcomings, THEN go buy one for about 20 bucks.

7 minutes ago, George Simmons said:

Invest 20 bucks or so in a bright, good quality, head or hat-mounted light. 

Or, do it the way I did and buy a couple of cheap ones, and when you finally get frustrated with their shortcomings, THEN go buy one for about 20 bucks.

My wife got me a what appeared to be very nice spot light for the boat for my birthday last week. Charged it as instructed, even an extra day. I needed it to find a water leak and placed it to help me, 15 mins later I smelled smoke, dang thing had a smoke out! Luckily I was there or no telling what could have happened to the boat, bot shed all my tools.

I almost for got to tell he, doing it now.

Here's an old thread with several contributions from the community.   

Make a big effort to get to know your neighbors and offer to help them out whenever you can, grass, snow, lending of ladders, fixing lights....Manage your show times, set-up/take down and be as considerate as you can to your neighborhood.  As your show grows having everyone on side with your display will keep your annual event very positive.