Light-O-Rama Forums

Layering of effects

Softball Shawn

Brian,

Another easy one for you. Is there a way of layering effects so that one takes priority over another and always stays to the forefront?

Gotcha. So currently what is the determining factor in which effect takes priority and goes on top?

• 3 weeks later...

To my eyes, with what I"ve done thus far, the two overlapping "things" merge colors making a different combined color.

Like for Halloween I have a white ghost that flies over black buildings with yellow windows then over a dark blueish/purple sky - the ghost is only white where it is over the black....the sky "bleeds" through giving it a pale blue color --- which makes the ghost look translucent - OK in this instance.

I can see, though, where it'd be nice to have the "top" layer of the grid "cancel out" any layers below it...even better if you could set the transparency of the layer so that the top layer might "bleed through" a subtle bit of the layers behind it.

I'm certainly not an expert on this --- this year being my first show --- but that it how I see it thus far.

You are correct, currently if you have a red effect and a green effect they will be yellow where they overlap.

As you say, layering would allow you to "cancel out" other colors.

As for transparency, that probably won't happen next year.

So many things to look forward to.

First the floating windows. Perfect....now I can sequence SS with 2 monitors.

Now, layering. Been wanting that for 3 years now....I am looking forward to that one.

• 8 months later...

Brian,

Do you happen to have layering (or an equivalent feature) yet in a SuperStar?

Ed

No, it is not in there. I hope to get it in later this year but it is not easy to do, it is going to take me a while.

Brian,

Not trying to stir the pot, just giving you an honest opinion here. It is reasons like this that other programs are getting so popular. If there is a problem or huge demand for something, it gets fixed in a week or so. I love SS and will continue to use it because I am so familiar with it but people have been asking for the layering ability for at the very least a couple of years and the response is always the same, 'hopefully next year'.

Thanks, Brian, no problem here. I really like SuperStar, so I'm willing to wait.

I have been duly chastised. Softball Shawn is correct, the market speaks and if I don't deliver I will get left behind.

Nice.

I really do not see a definitive shelf life on SS. With pixels getting more and more popular and the mega trees being such a common prop, SS is perfect for just that. I am pretty much XLights all the way except for my two mega trees, I prefer SS. Just like it a bit better.

After the recent update IMO the only negative to SS is the lack of layering. It is still a great program. 

I guess I'm impressed with Brian's own sequences that he creates and sells (his Bruno Mars' Uptown Funk is the best I've seen).  So many effects he's created with SS, telling me I haven't scratched the surface yet of creating my own effects in SS.  Maybe that's what Softball Shawn was talking about with SS and mega trees.  Plus, now that I only use the force row/column feature for props in Visualizer, then into SS, I find it's really efficient to organize and use SS now.  But, I haven't used XLights, so I'm not a credible source on what works best.

To be honest, one reason "layering" got put as a lower priority than the other things I have done is because I have not had an urgent need for it in my own sequences. That is mostly because I don't do a lot of animations. But as I have worked with folks I can see that many people are putting a lot of time into really cool animations. One thing that is commonly done is to have a backdrop and to want to move objects on top of the backdrop. Currently you can't do that and so I can see that it is a real problem for those that do complex animations with a backdrop or more than one image and you want one to be in front of the other.

My challenge is that I am working on some sequences and other things in preparation for the Expo in Chicago. But I agree now that layering should be the next feature that goes in.

I LOVE SuperStar! Use it all the time.

I would love layering on more than just animations/images - don't know if your plans might include all things or just images.

I'd love to be able to tell Morphs, or Spirals or Shockwaves or Fans to also appear behind or in front of other things (images and other morphs and smooth effects).

Just thought I'd through in my 2-cents worth while this is an open topic. Not being pushy! You get to it when you can - and I'll be happy to use it whenever it appears!

Thanks for all the work you've done on SuperStar thus far - and will, no doubt, continue to do in the future! It is very easy to use and, as I said, I love it!

I, too, would like to see layering in SuperStar.  In the meantime, I am still learning the "in's" and "out's" of the program.  Love it.  Love it.  Love it.  :):):)

Brian

Priority layering will be a great addition and I am looking forward to the release.  SuperStar still has a lot of features that are not available in other programs.  Other software programs do put out a lot of releases and also a lot of bugs seem to follow the releases.  I read a lot of posts from those users on other forums stating how they lost their entire sequence or it used to work but the new release broke something, or the software will not run at all now.  I do like new features but those kind of bugs take all the fun out of sequencing.  I am glad SuperStar is a very stable product.  Thanks for a great program.

See you at the Expo!!!!

I am a patient fellow & I can wait for whatever new feature shows up in SS.  Superstar has served me well & I for one am glad I have it. In the mean time lets keep practicing getting good morph effects & animation.

• 4 weeks later...

I use superstar for all my sequencing.  Do not have a mega tree, pixel tree or grid.  My yard is all rgb...either dumb or smart.  But all RGB.

One thing I want to use layering for is this:

entire yard is a color.  I would love to start an entire yard morph and while that morph is happening have the background color or the rest of the yard that is not morphing changing colors....but the morph color stays the same color start to finish.

Then, repeat this with single elements...groups of elements etc.. Point is the morph stays one color while everything around it is changing colors.

That is why I want layering.  Animations.....maybe one day I will have a grid...