Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding LOR 16 channel boxes on existing LAN

ncosper

I searched all over and with such common terms I couldn't find an answer to what Im trying to do.

I am going to be doing a display of about 300 LOR channels using the 16 channel boxes. The location that I am setting this up has a fiber optic network and I am needing to use this infrastructure to control the LOR boxes. I plan to set up the pc at the network switch. How do I go about configuring this? I will also have a DMX mega tree as part of the display which is easy within the network, but the LOR portion Im not sure about how to get it up and running. 

Thanks

OK, LOR DOES NOT use ethernet for networking.  Do NOT mix an ethernet LAN and the LOR RS-485 serial cable.  Although they use the same type of cable, Mixing the two may result in the magic smoke leaking out.

With that said, you do have a couple options.  You can run your show using E1.31 - which is DMX over ethernet.  You can then output DMX from an E1.31 card to control the LOR boxes (which work on DMX almost as well as using the LOR protocol).  Note that the DMX also uses a RS-485 serial connection and NOT ethernet.  There is no way to directly control LOR boxes with ethernet.

Thanks Jim!
So if I am understanding correctly I will need to output from the pc in e1.31 and then at each 'access point' of the network I will need an e1.31 bridge and connect to each controller using a dmx to lor crossover cable. That is simple enough I am am understanding that correctly. 

Thanks!

Edited by ncosper

• The topic was locked