Light-O-Rama Forums

L.E.D. lights Cause Retina Damage: STUDY....Anyone watched this video?

Orville

Video Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qHbYO2ejM

And do you believe this study or think this is just more propaganda BS?

And if you believe, ready to sell off all your RGB/Pixel L.E.D. strips, bulbs, and strands and go back to incandescent bulbs?

Just wonder if anyone has watched this and believe if there truly is any validity too it.

Just something I found interesting when watching another LOR Forumites video here and found this in the sidebar of additional videos to watch.

Not going to give my opinion on whether I believe this or not until I see what others think of this.

Edited by Orville

Some truth on the CFLs emitting UV etc, if you buy the cheapo imports. Get what you pay for. I sell lighting and even did myself in once. I remodeled a bathroom tub tile area and used pure white 35 year top of the top caulk. Bought new CFL ceiling light fixtures and forgot to change the freakin import lamps out. 6 months the caulking already was looking dingy cream colored. So I sold the house and moved.

LEDs, humm, haven't heard that normal activities under LED lighting has any issues or validity to those claims. I have 100% converted my house and my dad's house. I sell thousands of LEDs every year. If it's true, eyeballs will be popping out all over the place.

But with the money we save on energy costs, we'll be able to afford corrective surgery.

Fluorescent tubes have always put out significant but not dangerous amounts of UV. LED's, don't know but I doubt it.

As an aside, some cheap green lasers put out dangerous amounts of IR.

Agree with you folks, those were my thoughts too.  Any light source if looked "directly" into will cause damage, especially the laser L.E.D.'s.    But I'm not buying this either, been using L.E.D.'s in my model trains and other models and projects for years.   I'm legally blind now, but that WAS NOT from L.E.D. or any other lighting, that I do know for a fact, forgot what the optometrist called it, but have some type of eye issue that caused a retina detachment in 2002, had corrective surgery, but it really didn't work, well, it did, just not very well, and the same thing could happen to my other eye as well. 

Sight in my right eye is like looking at a fun house mirror that distorts things, and what was my good eye, the left eye in 2014 when I see lights, like looking at a traffic signal is a circular pattern of lights around the main light, no matter if it's L.E.D. or anything else, all lights look like that to me now from the left eye, right eye like a fun house distortion mirror.     And is why I no longer drive, wouldn't even try with my vision the way it is now, that would just be foolish!

If it wasn't for the magnifier option in Windows, I wouldn't even be able to see these forums or the words properly, and having mild dyslexia on top of that, well it sure makes for a challenge when sequencing for my display and writing on forums!

• Like 2

Agree with you folks, those were my thoughts too.  Any light source if looked "directly" into will cause damage, especially the laser L.E.D.'s.    But I'm not buying this either, been using L.E.D.'s in my model trains and other models and projects for years.   I'm legally blind now, but that WAS NOT from L.E.D. or any other lighting, that I do know for a fact, forgot what the optometrist called it, but have some type of eye issue that caused a retina detachment in 2002, had corrective surgery, but it really didn't work, well, it did, just not very well, and the same thing could happen to my other eye as well. 

Sight in my right eye is like looking at a fun house mirror that distorts things, and what was my good eye, the left eye in 2014 when I see lights, like looking at a traffic signal is a circular pattern of lights around the main light, no matter if it's L.E.D. or anything else, all lights look like that to me now from the left eye, right eye like a fun house distortion mirror.     And is why I no longer drive, wouldn't even try with my vision the way it is now, that would just be foolish!

If it wasn't for the magnifier option in Windows, I wouldn't even be able to see these forums or the words properly, and having mild dyslexia on top of that, well it sure makes for a challenge when sequencing for my display and writing on forums!

I'm very impressed.  I have good eyesight and sequencing can be a challenge some times. You are an inspiration for others with sight problems, showing them life continues and there are always ways.  More power to you Orville!

Thank you tomsusie.   Yes, it sure is a challenge, but I plunder away at it as much as I can.   When the eyes start getting where I can't focus on it, I stop and come back to it later.   So it takes me quite a bit of time to do a song now with both eyes in such a state.    But I'm not giving up yet.   And now I've lost 99% of the hearing in my right ear, so that's now making it even more of a challenge.  This just happened about 2 and half weeks ago.

But I'll keep on going for as long as I can somewhat see and partially hear what I'm doing!

• 2 weeks later...

It is certain wavelengths of light that can cause damage. As RGB LED's don't come close to the dangerous wavelengths you should be ok with your Christmas lights.

It is the certain UV wavelengths that will cause the damage. The eye is most sensitive to damage by UV in the lower UVC band at 265–275 nm

A good blacklight UV LED is between 365nm and 395nm. You can pretty much get any wavelength you want for different purposes, Some can damage your eyes and skin. So if you are building your own high power UV floodlights, do your research and pick the right wavelength range. They are not all the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/14/2015 at 10:07 PM, Franke said:

It is certain wavelengths of light that can cause damage. As RGB LED's don't come close to the dangerous wavelengths you should be ok with your Christmas lights.

It is the certain UV wavelengths that will cause the damage. The eye is most sensitive to damage by UV in the lower UVC band at 265–275 nm

A good blacklight UV LED is between 365nm and 395nm. You can pretty much get any wavelength you want for different purposes, Some can damage your eyes and skin. So if you are building your own high power UV floodlights, do your research and pick the right wavelength range. They are not all the same.

I read that Blacklights are at 365 for the most part.

I'm trying to find the spec on what the wavelength is on the LOR UV floods....

Disclaimer: I didn't open the original link, I've only read comments and responses.

However, I'd like to weigh in. There are a couple of things to consider: the "strobe" lighting effect or flashing and pulsating colors, and the audience's age range and physical abilities.

Strobe lighting and flashing, pulsating colors on lights and long exposure to bright lighting in dark environments is what is most damaging to eyes.

The worst part is when little to zero natural light is added to the lit area. However, the more miles you have on you may impact you as well.

So, if you're sequencing at night, please be sure to keep lights on to brighten the room. If the work setting has windows with blinds and it's nice out, open the windows!
Bring in the fresh air and natural light.

Don't become a moth and be attracted to the pretty, glowing light, but know your limits and when you need to take breaks (which should be often - get up, stretch your legs, get a drink, take a bio break, get some food, just get away from your monitors or computers).

• The topic was locked