Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions before I buy.

Superkyle332

I wanted to ask a few questions before I buy.

I'm currently a student wanting to make a sort of "Stage performance" with the light show.

I was going to buy the 16 channel Residential series with the standard license, and the superstar add on.

Do I have to buy specific lights? I'll be mainly working with Bulbs and LED lights.

If I can use lets say the lights of my choice, How many LED Strips (Dumb) can be run on a single channel?

Is it possible to say run twenty dumb 10 inch LED strips on a single channel? All twenty of them should Light up the same way if I'm correct. They should be daisy chained together if I'm correct as well. Not sure how that should work. I'll have to do my research.

Can the LED Strips be cut down to a specific length if desired and wired to the channel?

I shouldn't be running more than 10 incandescent bulbs, There would be several shorter "Strips" of LED's but I hope that groups can be linked to 5-6 channels.

I don't know much about this at the moment, But that's why I'm asking.

Much appreciated  :D

Dumb strips will make most think of RGB LED strips. These take 3 channels, are of DC power, and require there own controller. These dumb (or basic) RGB LED strips can make millions of colors but are not controlled by the 16 channel controller you referenced. LOR sells a cmb24 controller which will allow you to control 8 strips of various lengths independently (yes, you can cut them).
 http://www1.lightorama.com/rgb-controllers/

and welcome to the forum

Do you mean RGB dumb (Color changing) or are you getting confused with rope light or just strings???

RGB requires different controllers.

IMO, you first determine what type of lights you want for a particular light element and then match the controller to it. Not to other way around.

For dumb/smart led lights (strips, pixels, modules), you'll looking at 5v to 12v produces. So you'll need DC controllers.  The 16 chaneels residential is a 120v AC controller.

For a bunch of short led strips, you might be better using led rectangle modules which are about 3" long and contain 3 leds.  They generally come in 20 modules per string. That would be simplier wiring  than  soldering a bunch of short strips. While modules have a short wire between each modules, you can mount the modules end to end for that "strip" appearance. You simply cut between the modules for the number you need and then wire on you power feed.

As a beginer, don't believe that buying Superstar would be worth the cost.  Not until you'll in the hobby a while and start to expand your display. As a newbie, too much too grasp right not, w/o getting up to speed with SS.

IMO, you first determine what type of lights you want for a particular light element and then match the controller to it. Not to other way around.

For dumb/smart led lights (strips, pixels, modules), you'll looking at 5v to 12v produces. So you'll need DC controllers.  The 16 chaneels residential is a 120v AC controller.

For a bunch of short led strips, you might be better using led rectangle modules which are about 3" long and contain 3 leds.  They generally come in 20 modules per string. That would be simplier wiring  than  soldering a bunch of short strips. While modules have a short wire between each modules, you can mount the modules end to end for that "strip" appearance. You simply cut between the modules for the number you need and then wire on you power feed.

As a beginer, don't believe that buying Superstar would be worth the cost.  Not until you'll in the hobby a while and start to expand your display. As a newbie, too much too grasp right not, w/o getting up to speed with SS.

Superstar would not be worth it yet. Dumb RGB is simple to program.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

So i won't be needed superstar unless I'm getting into some really complex stuff is what I understand. And I'll need a different controller to work with the LED strips.

What if I'm working with LED strips that are the same color (let's say Green) and are not RGB?

I'll be working more on this in the coming months,

Your help has been much appreciated.

What if I'm working with LED strips that are the same color (let's say Green) and are not RGB?

If they are strips like this:

YG7EXG9.png

7GsZ9rO.png

That run on 12v (Easy way to tell is if they have a power supply block thing)

Then yes, they work in the same way as RGB, but only one colour of LED, so you need a controller such as the CMB24D.

If they plug directly into the wall, then you can run them off of a "normal" controller, like the CTB16PC (The AC one used for "normal" Christmas light strings)

If you are refering to lights like this, they are called Rope Lights:

prdc4eb377c-77a5-417e-b188-e2e5f0c7afff.

Okay, I've decided to stick with the DC controller. More than likely the CMB16D-QC, only one question, what would be the best way to power the board? There's two power supply connectors, and both need 20 amps, (or can handle 20 amps) so it's a little confusing, you would need a total of 40 amps of power from a 12 volt system if I'm correct.

Thanks again.

Edited by Superkyle332