Light-O-Rama Forums

Everything in Every Song?

Dcroc

Is it typical to use every prop/light in every song?  I'm finding some of my sequences are a bit toned down compared to some of my other ones.  My theory is that if you go full on every song, it would get a bit boring after just a song or two.  Does it give it more WOW factor to have a few things that are only used in a few of the songs in the display?

Depending on what you have in the display, it may make sense to leave some items out. Some of the larger displays I program are like that, some elements are not used on some songs.

I don't think so.    Maybe make a certain display item or two the "main attraction" and use the others sparingly.  You can also use then use them differently.   Maybe a Mega tree spins in one song and then fades in a different song.   Just my opinion.

I've been debating this issue myself.  Do I try to use everything for that person who's only going to stay for 1 song so that they can see all of the fun stuff or do I only use certain props on certain songs?

This has been debated in the past. I am one myself who gives them everything in every song. If they only stay for one song they got the whole display. I just have a hard time holding back for some reason.

I use as much as I think the song needs. sometimes I use everything and others pieces here and there. Just go with how you feel the beat/mood of the song.

This is a great topic (I've debated it in my head as well).  

I think its a combination of the props and how they're used.  I have some songs in which I'm sweeping the entire show to different beats and some I'm bouncing the lights up and down.  I think you can use the props in multiple songs, just try using them differently (and try not to everything, all-the-time, for every song).  I think this is even tougher when you have a smaller show... if you hold back too much, you don't have any elements to use. 

For me, I try to hold back on some items as much as I can.  It's tough though after you've spent X dollars and countless hours building a cool prop.  You want to show it off and use it as much as possible.  Its a fine balance.   

Some songs I use it all and other songs i use certain props. I think a lot of it has to do with the song you use and what you are trying to show and tell your visitors.

Wayne

I have some songs where I do not use everything. However when I am using everything on a number of songs, generally they are being used differently.  Could be chases, sweeps, fades, etc.  On some songs with a strong beat I'll have certain elements just keeping time; but on other songs they may be more of an accent to the song.  I don't worry about showing everything in each song for the people watching. I'm more concerned with making the song look good for them.  If they really like it, the odds are they either will stay longer or be back another night.

Don't have a lot of props so they are used in each song.  But each song has it's own unique style of sequencing and the props are used differently.

been debated and still debated in my head as well. I do hold back a few elements in certain songs.  But I think another good way is to bring some items up static dimmed a bit and make them background to other more dynamic items too.  Lots of ways to skin the cat.

if you look at some master sequencers, they seem to have a different element group going to each different sound in the songs.  Like something dainty might be to the flute you barely notice, vs the big drum we all like the beat sticks on.

My show has some songs with all lights and some with just the mega tree and some with just the house. The songs with all lights I feel its important not to have the same effects in every song, make each distinctive. MHO

I feel that using everything on every song is going to turn people off, no matter the size of the display. It's an easy trap to fall into though. Larger channel counts certainly offer more sequencing options and more opportunity to change things up from one song to the next. But there's things folks with fewer channels can do. My opinion is that the smaller the channel count, the shorter the songs one should use. If you can't change up your display elements, shorter songs will change people's perspective. Also, I feel it's important for smaller displays to have as many different sounding songs as possible, again so they don't all look the same.

I always focus on a couple main things like the mega trees and the house. Then I go back and watch it and add from there. Certain elements like mini trees get used in every song but maybe sparingly. I also have several talking heads and such. Those don't get used every song. I think you can use most everything in your display with all songs. It's just how you use it to make it pop!

I just have a small display and I don't use everything in every song either.   Some songs I may just have "unused" items lit at 25-30% on if L.E.D. and others may be 40-50% if incandescent, and sometimes they are just left completely off, all depends on the song and what is contained in the song lyrics, if it has singing in it.    It's a wide variation and one best left up to the sequencer, if it looks good, use it, if not, or it doesn't seem to fit in, leave it off.   That's how I view it and work it when sequencing my displays.

With pixels it is different though. I use the same prop but different effect.

I am guilty of using everything a lot; with the same sequencing (Four cells alternating pattern is very versatile) 

I only have about 20 "normal" channels, and about 1600 pixel channels. It is actually quite limiting.

I personally don't use every element in every song...and certainly don't use every color every song...sometimes blue and white..sometimes green and red...etc depending on song...those who use every element on very song is creating a very boring show...in my opinion, because every song starts looking the same.

Listen to your song quite a few times and imagine it in your mind before you start to sequence.

I can still remember a Music Appreciation class back in Jr High...the teacher had us close our eyes and write down what we were hearing from the symphony...animals, ocean, clouds, anything and everything that came into our heads and what we were feeling at the moment...do the same with your display...

sometimes "less is more"...

Edited by jimswinder

Being my first year , as I look at some of the sequencing I have done , I seem to be maybe falling into the " too blinky" category. Think I may go back and make some changes on some . Easy to get carried away with chases having two megatrees and a big driveway arch . Like the idea of just having some on low intensity at times. I'm sure once I get it setup and actually see a sequence on the display it will become more clear as to how I could make it look best . Im sure it will be a lot different than just watching on my visualizer .