Light-O-Rama Forums

Tennessee ++ Fall Mini

Ron Boyd

Tennessee ++ Fall Mini

All are invited, not just the folks from TN. We’ve had folks from GA, NC, SC, FL and even once, someone from New Zealand. 

WHEN: Saturday, September 12, 2015 

WHERE: Cleveland, TN (Just north of Chattanooga off of I-75)

3787 Blue Springs Road in Cleveland, TN  

TIME: TBD (usually 9 am – 4 pm)  

We’ll take up $$ for lunch, usually pizza. 

We will discuss all aspects of putting together a great display from nuts and bolts to finished display. This is a great time for newcomers to ask questions.  

Topics will/can range from: 

Lights to use: Incandescent, LED’s, RGB dumb and smart strings. 

Hardware: basic controllers, E1.31, Sandevices, J1SYS, Falcon, LOR, etc. 

Software: LOR S4, Pixel Editor, Superstar, Xlights/Nutcracker (XL4), and any of the others if anyone has experience with them, (Vixen, Hls). 

Power Injection: This is something that all can learn when using the low voltage, DC items such as pixels and basic RGB.

If the interest is there, several of us can demonstrate good and most likely, different techniques for soldering, ie. connecting pixel strips or strings, adding pigtails, waterproofing, soldering controller boards together and such.  

Been there, done that. We can have one on one instruction if the need arises. Lots of us have been doing this for several years and have the "Been there, done that and I got the t-shirt" mentality. We're all willing to share our experiences, good and bad. 

If anyone has any of the new controllers, LOR Pixcon16, Falcon F16v2, Advatek Pixlite etc., bring it to the Mini. These are the newest E1.31 controller on the market and I’m sure some would like to see how it’s set up. I'll have one of the Falcon boards by then, hopefully. I have a Pixcon 16 ordered, but it probably won't be here in time.

Construction of elements: Need ideas how to construct leaping arches, mega trees, spiral trees, a Matrix, Marty fan, etc. Bring your new, cool element, to show off. It gives others ideas for creating new exciting elements for their display as well as how to build them.  

What's new for this year: Let's talk about what's new for your show this year. Any problems during construction of elements, controllers, sequencing, etc.?

Anything else? If there's anything else you'd like to talk about, post about it here and we'll put it on the list.

Mark your calendar for the September 12th.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Boyd

• dgrant

• Jeff Messer

• dougd

Sounds Great you can count on at least 2 from Mountain City. I need help on power injection for sure.

See you in Sept

Barry.

Should be an interesting mini. Lots of new stuff happening lately. Be a good time to pick up a few good ideas before heading into setup season. Looking forward to it.

I'll be there with Brad and maybe a few others.  I have found 3 more shows close to me that I knew nothing about last year.

It'll be good to see everybody again.

Jim, I sent you an email a little while ago, if you see this first.

Barry, Power injection is a big topic at every mini, so I believe you'll get some good knowledge here. About all of us use pixels somewhere in our shows, some of us are 90% to 100% RGB

Jeff, Come on man, you ain't no rookie by any stretch of the imagination. With that matrix you built, nobody can call themselves a rookie.

dgrant, It would be great to have you come over. With the knowledge you have, I believe you could help all of us and maybe pick up a thing or two from us in the meantime.

Doug, thanks again for hosting the mini. I just hope I don't pass up your house again. I don't know what I was thinking in March.

See you folks next month.

Ron

Thanks for the kinds words but truly, I'm a newbie. I'll be learning from you all. Plus, I'll get to visit the daughter of my last wife who lives there...so I'm coming!

I guarantee I'll have to do something that day. Music midtown is that weekend and one think my wife is going to see her favorite artist

Count me in.  I finally broke down and bought the LOR Pro Upgrade.  Has anyone worked enough with the PE that they can demo it at the Mini?

Dave

Count me in.  I finally broke down and bought the LOR Pro Upgrade.  Has anyone worked enough with the PE that they can demo it at the Mini?

Dave

I am sure the pixel editor covered. I know several of us have played with it. There wont be any experts there but collectively we can see what every one is doing with it.

Edited by dougd

I've not messed with the PE yet, hoping for the tutorials to come out. Between now and then, just upgrading my existing to this year's new hardware profile. If someone there has the skinny on using the PE, I'll be all ears!

I have to check on my boys' football game schedules.  I want to come if I can.  I'm such a disaster with this stuff...I need to assemble my RGB stuff, but haven't even looked at it in months.  If I can make it, I'll be there.  I enjoyed the time I got to spend at the spring one. 

Bringing this up front on the new content list, in case anybody may want to come and didn't see it. Just a few more weeks until the mini. 

I'm seriously considering this Ron, will any wives be there as well as we will probably make a weekend trip of it and do some sight seeing ...

Yes, some of the wives come along too. Some of the wives actually help in the set-ups at they're respective displays. Bring her along.

Doug & Ron,

I have a JSYS1 that I need help with... Ill be bringing it along, if we can spend sometime figuring it out. I can't wait!! Needs to hurry up.

Andy will be your guy on that one. He's the J1Sys guru. By all means though, bring it in. We'll hash through it.

That goes for anything else. If anyone else have controllers or anything else you need help on, or you think we all could learn something from, bring it to the mini. 

Update:

I got my shipping notice for my Pixcon16. I'll bring it to the mini.

Edited by Ron Boyd