Light-O-Rama Forums

Long RGB Strip Runs

ShaggySS

I recently moved and am having a hard time trying to redesign my display so I am hoping someone here has suggestions or ideas.  At my old place the longest run I had was 18 ft.  Adding two feet to a 2811 strip was not a big deal and it looked seamless.  I mounted all my strips to a nice square conduit which was nice a rigid so it wasn't a big deal.  Ken Benedict helped me make these way back when and they are awesome.  Not even sure what you call the sq rigid conduit!

New problem is I have 22 ft run, 21.5ft and 20ft.  Initially I wanted to simplify the storage process and cut these all in half so its easier to store in the garage.  Biggest issue with this solution is creating that seamless look between strips. Anyone have suggestions?  I would like pigtails for quick disconnect each year but how to butt them up for that look.  Something that only I will notice but if its not perfect it will drive me crazy....i know most of you can relate.  

The second option is to go the full length and remove the lights from these three strips easy year and store the long mounting poles on the side of the house.  How to get these home is another challenge :)

I recently moved and am having a hard time trying to redesign my display so I am hoping someone here has suggestions or ideas.  At my old place the longest run I had was 18 ft.  Adding two feet to a 2811 strip was not a big deal and it looked seamless.  I mounted all my strips to a nice square conduit which was nice a rigid so it wasn't a big deal.  Ken Benedict helped me make these way back when and they are awesome.  Not even sure what you call the sq rigid conduit!

New problem is I have 22 ft run, 21.5ft and 20ft.  Initially I wanted to simplify the storage process and cut these all in half so its easier to store in the garage.  Biggest issue with this solution is creating that seamless look between strips. Anyone have suggestions?  I would like pigtails for quick disconnect each year but how to butt them up for that look.  Something that only I will notice but if its not perfect it will drive me crazy....i know most of you can relate.  

The second option is to go the full length and remove the lights from these three strips easy year and store the long mounting poles on the side of the house.  How to get these home is another challenge :)

ShaggySS,

I have overlapped strips in situations where "seamless" was a priority.  One strip covers the other and the only item left to "hide" is the cable going into the strip that you place on top of the other.  Depending on the strip you are using you should have 1"-2" in between led's to route the cable.

Charles

hey SHaggy-

I have a 41' run of my strips and for the life can't find the pictures I took of the way I butted them together.

Mine are mounted on PVC and I notched a 1/2" X 3" grove on the back side at the ends. I U-turned the end of the strip back inside of the pipe. Then another U-turn with the leads (connecters). From a top view it would make an "S" shape. It turned out excellent. If you PM me your email I can take a picture tomorrow (although in storage, you will still get what I am talking about) and send it to you in the evening...?

Hope this helped

~Matt