Light-O-Rama Forums

What did I do wrong? Pixel Tree Vis to SS

Al Saunders

Hi DevMike and anyone else that knows the answer to this. I created a 180 Pixel tree for 2811 pixels in Visualizer. It has 16 strings running from ground to top so it'll be edge to center and each string is 50 pixels. I ran the channel wizard and yes, DevMike I pixel packed because I only have 1 e682 controller. I get the attached error when I try and import the real visualization into SuperStar. I ran through the channels for 4 universes each one having starting pixels 1 then 51 then 101 finally 151 before going on to next universe. Then the numbering of the following universes are the same. The error mentions channel 1.0.1 but I have not entered any such channel number, at least not manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, DevMike...Awesome classes at the expo!! I was the guy in the front row of S4 Friday afternoon that got the signed "buttons" book. :D

Later,

Al

post-6448-0-42890700-1437678626_thumb.pn

AL if you pixel packed the vis and it's 16 x 50, there should be 4 full universes and 360 channels in the 5th universe. If you only have 4 universes as your OP, you've numbers something wrong. Check the channel assignments. If you can't get it to work, I'll link you to mine. It's 16 x 50, pixel packed and it starts at Universe 1.

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the info. I just started to set up another new tree and when prompted with the screen asking about how I would like to create the fixture/fixtures I had selected the recommended top/first option of Create as many new fixtures as required. Each bundle/Segment will be a new fixture. Should I have selected either the middle option of "create the minimum number of new fixtures. The system will create as many FULL DMX pixel fixtures as required" or the third option of "show me base DMX Pixel fixtures..."? When I used the recommended one the system created the 16 fixtures and then I ran the channel wizard and it only asked for universe and starting pixel. I never numbered channels in my Vis only assigned pixel and universe numbers.

Thanks,

Al

• Like 1

When I did my packed tree, I numbered each individual leg separately. I did not use the channel wizard. I don't think the channel wizard won't work for the packed tree.

If you look in the samples folder, Brian Bruderer built a packed pixel tree. It's a 2D, Superstar style tree. I actually used it and repositioned the legs to make a 180.

• Like 1

Ditto on what Ron said. I'm doing the exact same thing.

I found, per DevMike, I had to redo all my pixels from S3 to S4, but everything works if you use their examples.

There are 2 different DMX pixel tree samples : one pixel packs by splitting some of the strings up; the other doesn't but only runs each universe up to 150 channels, and starts each universe on channel one.

Load one of the samples, view the channel assignments for each string FIXTURE not prop

I did this and drew a simple map for each version

This is how the new S4 visualizer works now, different than S3

I also outputed(?) each version to a E682 board with 16 strings of 50 pixel lights, and each version worked no problem.

Edited by wmilkie
  • Like 1

Hi Ron and wmilkie,

I appreciate the help but I'm just not getting my head around this. I found the sample for the packed superstar style tree and have it in my visualizer. I deleted the star channels as I will not be using a star. This leaves the top of the tree with a point in the middle since the star was there. I tried to do what you mention Ron and reposition the strings/legs but it's extremely hard to get them to line up. Is there a way to use the tree wizard to draw the prop, then manually assign channels like in the sample?

Sorry to be so dense about this but, Ron could you please send me your packed 16X50 packed pixel tree?

wmilkie, when you say you drew a simple map, do you mean you drew individual pixel strings and formed a tree?

Thanks Guys!

Al

I had exactly the same problems. What needs to be done is for LOR to improve the tree draw wizard to allow for the channel issues for multiple configurations/controller types. Ron sent me his tree's file which was great (Thank You again!) and the other in the samples took care of my second tree issues with channel problems. We "should" be able to create these without all the problems.

Sorry, I wasn't clear

I used the prop as is, no changes;

I looked at the channel assignments for each leg of the tree; 16 strings, 16 legs; each 50 pixels; each leg is a fixture, together they make a prop

If you open the pixelpack sample you will see a list of channel assigments, this appears to be how LOR wants them to be configured for the Visualizer to correctly

display the prop

I used Excel to create a text map of channel assignments using the pixelpack sample as a guide

I'm too dense to understand why LOR did this, in my opinion, this makes things more complicated;

Hi DevMike and anyone else that knows the answer to this. I created a 180 Pixel tree for 2811 pixels in Visualizer. It has 16 strings running from ground to top so it'll be edge to center and each string is 50 pixels. I ran the channel wizard and yes, DevMike I pixel packed because I only have 1 e682 controller. I get the attached error when I try and import the real visualization into SuperStar. I ran through the channels for 4 universes each one having starting pixels 1 then 51 then 101 finally 151 before going on to next universe. Then the numbering of the following universes are the same. The error mentions channel 1.0.1 but I have not entered any such channel number, at least not manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, DevMike...Awesome classes at the expo!! I was the guy in the front row of S4 Friday afternoon that got the signed "buttons" book. :D

Later,

Al

I think I see what happened, you did/had the exact same problem I did.

The new S4 visualizer requires a certain setup for pixels strings that cross universes; you have to split them up

Brian's pixelpack sample works perfect

To test this, I created a sequence ( or use an existing PIXEL TREE sequence) in SuperStar

THEN, import Brians' sample pixel pack visualization instead of the one you created,  it should work with no errors

I can't seem to post a picture here of my pixel tree map, but I can email it to you if you want

PM me with your email, and I'll send the the file

I think I FINALLY got it!! Thanks Wmilkie, I opened Superstar, changed from visualization mode to CCR mode then back again and imported the sample visualization Brian made. Another problem I think I was doing was I selected visualization pair instead of just importing a visualization. So I have Brian's visualization in Superstar then opened my wrong visualization and imported Brian's sample in visualizer and renamed it the same as my wrong file and every time I open Superstar now I am not getting errors. :)

I would like to see your map just for reference. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again for all your help!

Al

www.saunderschristmaslights.com

glad you got it working.

I'm in a steep learning curve on S4; I wish it was Jan instead of almost Aug

• Like 1