Light-O-Rama Forums

Reversing channel order in sequence editor

kzaas

Last year I built an RGB mega tree with 32 strings of 50 pixels each. I built it to use 150 channels per universe which I am finding out now was not the correct way to do it.

First let me say how it was built, Universe 1 string 1 was from the outer ring to the inner ring as pixel 1 outer and 50 inner, string two was 51 at the inner and 100 was at the outer and finally string three was 101 at the outer and 150 at the inner. It start again with universe 2 pixel 1 on the outer to the inner and so on and continues with the same pattern through out the rest of the tree.

The problem I had last year was creating the setup for sequencing. When setting up my track with the tree legs I had to reverse the pixels of the second leg of each universe dragging each pixel one by one. That meant dragging 12 x 50 pixels on 20 sequences to set them up right in the editor.

Another problem I discovered last year, as did everyone else, was that the visualizer could not support that many fixtures. So I could not display the mega tree in it.

My problem now is that although the visualizer can create and display a mega tree with that many pixels and fixtures, I can't create it with the same setup that I had last year. So in order to display it in the visualizer along with the rest of my props, I have decided the I would use the available setup that visualizer has which is from outer to inner to outer only and split the universes within the strings.

Now to the questions, Is there a way to reverse those pixels in the sequence editor without doing it by dragging them around in every sequence???

Please someone help me save my sanity.

You could export a channel configuration from one sequence and import it in all of the others. You would still have to drag them down once though.

I thought if I did it that way that every thing that I sequenced would move with the channels but I will give it a try. Thanks

Now I did exactly that way last year and hopefully again this year on a pixel tree. However, I used the JoshuaSystems P12S which allows me to reverse the strings as needed, in the middle of the string setup. So for example, the first 50 pixels going up are backwards because I want them to run from top to down. The second 50 are correct already, top to down. The last set are going back up, therefore reversed. That controller will allow this to happen at the controller so sequencing is just plain normal and no problems. Now the E682, won't allow this mid-string and neither will the AlphaPix16 as I have all three. I don't have a clue about the LOR Pixcon16 as it hasn't come out yet.

Well, in the visualizer and SE, it is just straight channels, in sequence and you don't need to change the order, IF...the controller handles the reversing of the strings. Now the other available controllers, will reverse the strings, if you do a single universe on each string and even then, different controllers might have limitations there...such as the E682, you need to reverse in groups of four outputs of the 16 there. The AlphaPix16, you can reverse each output port individually. The P12S, only has 12 ports but you can reverse in the middle of a group as we were talking. In each case though, you don't need to reverse anything in the visualizer or SE which makes life easy....let the controller do it. Which controller are you using or planning to use?

If you read the original post, I had to reverse them last year for the way I was set up. I do not have a problem setting the controller. I just need to fix the sequence editor to repair what I did last year. If I don't, it will not display in the visualizer right. I was just hoping that someone had come up with an easier way than what I did last year. Thanks guys I really do appreciate your help.