Light-O-Rama Forums

Are these updates coming this year?

Ron Boyd

1. Dual monitor support, ie, expanding the sequencing grid and visualizer sections to accommodate visualization on one screen and sequencing grid on the other. 
  2. Export of more than 1 Intensity file from Superstar to Sequence Editor
  3. Higher CCR license, 60 is the max now, talk of 120 CCR in the passed year.

There has been hints at all three of these over the passed year. I was just wondering if we might see any of these this year or next year.

The higher Max CCR limit is not really a big deal right now as it would most likely be used for whole display morphs from R-L or up-down. This might be accomplished in the PE, but I don't know that for sure.

Exporting more than one Intensity file is something, maybe a few would find useful. In my situation, I need 3. One for each of two pixel trees and another for the rest of the display. It may be that others need more, but I've not seen much talk of that on the forums.

The dual monitor support would, I imagine, help countless people. In my display, as mentioned above, the 2 pixel tree visualizations are not a problem at all, but when I get into the rest of my display, my visualization is tiny. On a 32" wide screen tv, it is at best 6" x 4". For visualization mode morphs, it is difficult to get anything done unless I use the Magnifier tool in Windows. 

Just some thoughts to see if these are still on the to-do list.

Thanks for a fantastic software and All of the work that has gone into the re-write to S4.

You have listed the three remaining things I hope to get done this year. It's going to take me a few months. Right now I am writing help files for the code that was just released.

Thanks Brian,

The big one for me is : exporting more than one file.

As like Ron, I do all my RGB in SS, but don't sequence all elements at the same time.

1. Higher CCR license, 60 is the max now, talk of 120 CCR in the passed year.

Brian in your post here section 5a you state that the maximum number of CCRs has been increased from 50 to 64.

As it is right now you can't use these extra 4 CCRs. Am I correct?

What about an unlimited CCR licence?

Section 5a that you reference refers to the maximum number of CCRs that are displayable on the sequencing grid when in CCR mode. Currently you would be able to display 64 CCRs and sequence them but you would not be able to export all 64 because the highest license is currently 60. The reason for the current display limit of 64 is because that is the highest number that can be displayed on the screen and still have the sequencing grid be usable. So the thing to realize is that the settings in the user interface are not related to the CCR export limit. A valid question would be, "why have a display limit of 64 if you can't export all 64". The reason is that I figured someone might want to see what 64 ribbons look like and play around with it.

Also, when in Visualization mode you can currently create displays of 96 CCRs, and you can sequence them, but you won't be able to export them. Again, I allow creation of visualizations that go to the maximum that the current interface allows, even if that maximum exceeds the current maximum license level, because I figure someone might what to see what a larger display would look like.

For what it is worth, the 40 CCR license actually lets you export 41 CCRs, and the 60 CCR license actually lets you export 61 CCRs. I threw in an extra CCR to accommodate people who had just a few more channels than the advertised limit.

As for an unlimited CCR license, that will never happen. The internal architecture allows for up to 320 CCRs (48,000 channels). To go higher than that would require a major redesign. But its going to be awhile before that is exceeded.

Later this year I hope to support an 80 CCR license. Next year it may go to 160 CCRs, and at some point will go to 320 CCRs.. There are many things involved in properly supporting a certain number of channels. The interface needs to be able to display it, and the interface needs to be usable. And the Sequence Editor has to be able to play the sequence to your lights without lag. That is one of the reasons the new data format that uses "Intensity Data" was created. Using the old format there are some cases where the Sequence Editor has trouble playing to more than 40 CCRs without lag. With the new "Intensity Data" format the Sequence Editor can support a much higher number of channels than it did using the old format.

I figure someone might what to see what a larger display would look like.

My pixel tree is 64 strings x 50 pixels.

As for an unlimited CCR license, that will never happen. The internal architecture allows for up to 320 CCRs (48,000 channels). To go higher than that would require a major redesign. But its going to be awhile before that is exceeded.

UMM the matrix I'm building has 16384 pixels or 49152 channels so I think superstar may be out for me for the forseeable future.

I figure someone might what to see what a larger display would look like.

My pixel tree is 64 strings x 50 pixels.

UMM the matrix I'm building has 16384 pixels or 49152 channels so I think superstar may be out for me for the forseeable future.

Wow     I gotta see this!  Is your matrix for this year?

Well, actually the limit of the architecture is exactly 16,384 pixels, I was just rounding down to the nearest CCR. Nevertheless, you are correct that the target market for superstar is for displays smaller than what you are building.

Wow     I gotta see this!  Is your matrix for this year?

Yes it is.

Well actually I'm building 2 of them. The pixels will be less than 1/2" apart. Each matrix will measure 25" x 100" ( vertical orientation ) 98304 channels total.

I'm getting a little uneasy that LOR might not be able to drive them.