Light-O-Rama Forums

S4 Pro Upgrade

Denny

Since I don't plan to use the Pixel Editor or Visualizer until the 2016 show, is there any advantage to upgrading to the Pro level at this time.  I have upgraded my S3 to the 4.038 Advanced Level.  Does the Pro Upgrade offer any benefits as far as saving large files or running the show over 4.038 Advanced only?  I do have about 3000 pixels.

Also, my S3 license renewal date is July 9, so I understand that I can upgrade to 4.038 before then.  I have updated my sequencing computer, but my show machine is packed away at the moment.  Do I need to upgrade that machine before July 9 or can I upgrade it at a later date as long as I have already upgraded the other machine?

When you renew, the license will be extended for a year. I think you can have it on 5 machines total for one license but please check to verify this. You don't have to have the PRO version to renew although buying the PRO version, if you ever are intending to go to RGB, will not only get you that version of capability but it will ALSO renew your license for another year. Might or might not be worth the $50 PRO charge but its something to consider.

Edited by dgrant

Also, my S3 license renewal date is July 9, so I understand that I can upgrade to 4.038 before then.

Just to clear something up here:

I think you mean that your license says something like "Max version: 4.0.* (and any future versions released by July 9, 2015)", right? If so, you don't have to upgrade to 4.0.38 by July 9.  It's better than that: Your license will always cover 4.0.38.  It doesn't matter when you install it - what matters is when we released it.  Since we released version 4.0 before July 9, your license covers version 4.0, and it always will, period.

Where July 9 comes into play is that if we release version 4.1 on July 8, then your license covers version 4.1 too.  But if we release version 4.1 on July 10, then your license does not cover it, and you would have to purchase a renewal (or upgrade or whatever) if you wanted to use 4.1.  But you can always use 4.0, forever, no matter whether you purchase a renewal or not.

I said "July 8" and "July 10" because off the top of my head I honestly don't know one way or the other whether or not your license would cover 4.1 if we released it on July 9.  It might even matter exactly what time you made your purchase, or exactly what time we officially released 4.1; I'm not really sure.  But this is just a minor incidental note; the main thing that I want to get across here is that if your license is good for version 4.0, it will remain good for version 4.0 forever, no renewal needed, and no "must install before this date" needed.

Thanks Bob, that's the way I thought it was, but this O L D disease sometimes befuddles my thinking, over-analyzing things.

Would there be any benefit to upgrading to Pro at the moment as far as copying, saving files, and running the show?  Not too interested in pixel editor and visualizer this year, but I remember I had a heck of a time last year, especially copying from one sequence to another.  

I'll answer before waiting for your reply to my question:

At this point, I believe there are three advantages to Pro as compared to Advanced:

(1) The Pixel Editor;

(2) Intensity files;

(3) LOR Enhanced networks.

You aren't planning on using the Pixel Editor, so that strikes #1.  The other two - intensity files and LOR Enhanced networks - are basically things that might make your show more efficient (if you choose to use them); they're really intended for shows that have a huge number of channels and that run into performance issues.

Intensity files are what's created by the Pixel Editor, and they may also be created by SuperStar.  SuperStar does not have to create them, though - it can also create standard sequence files.

LOR Enhanced networks are required if you use intensity files, but you can use them with standard sequences too.  However, I imagine that you'd probably get the most benefit out of them if you used them in conjunction with intensity files, created by SuperStar or the Pixel Editor.

So, to sum up, here's my opinion:

(1) If you want to use the Pixel Editor, yes, upgrade to Pro.  Otherwise:

(2) If you use SuperStar, and your show is huge and has performance issues, you might want to consider upgrading to Pro so that you can have SuperStar create intensity files instead of regular sequence files, and so that you can use LOR Enhanced networks.  Otherwise:

(3) If you don't use SuperStar, but your show is huge and has performance issues, it's possible that you might see some performance benefit out of LOR Enhanced networks, but I don't want to make a blanket statement that you will see some performance benefit out of LOR Enhanced networks.  So maybe you might want to upgrade to Pro, and maybe that will help with your performance issues, but on the other hand maybe it won't.  It's hard to say - depends on the exact nature of your show, and the root causes of your particular performance issues, for example.  Otherwise:

(4) If you don't want to use the Pixel Editor, you don't use SuperStar, and you don't have a huge show that has performance issues, then no, I would not recommend upgrading to Pro at this time.

I'll answer before waiting for your reply to my question:

At this point, I believe there are three advantages to Pro as compared to Advanced:

(1) The Pixel Editor;

(2) Intensity files;

(3) LOR Enhanced networks.

You aren't planning on using the Pixel Editor, so that strikes #1.  The other two - intensity files and LOR Enhanced networks - are basically things that might make your show more efficient (if you choose to use them); they're really intended for shows that have a huge number of channels and that run into performance issues.

Intensity files are what's created by the Pixel Editor, and they may also be created by SuperStar.  SuperStar does not have to create them, though - it can also create standard sequence files.

LOR Enhanced networks are required if you use intensity files, but you can use them with standard sequences too.  However, I imagine that you'd probably get the most benefit out of them if you used them in conjunction with intensity files, created by SuperStar or the Pixel Editor.

So, to sum up, here's my opinion:

(1) If you want to use the Pixel Editor, yes, upgrade to Pro.  Otherwise:

(2) If you use SuperStar, and your show is huge and has performance issues, you might want to consider upgrading to Pro so that you can have SuperStar create intensity files instead of regular sequence files, and so that you can use LOR Enhanced networks.  Otherwise:

(3) If you don't use SuperStar, but your show is huge and has performance issues, it's possible that you might see some performance benefit out of LOR Enhanced networks, but I don't want to make a blanket statement that you will see some performance benefit out of LOR Enhanced networks.  So maybe you might want to upgrade to Pro, and maybe that will help with your performance issues, but on the other hand maybe it won't.  It's hard to say - depends on the exact nature of your show, and the root causes of your particular performance issues, for example.  Otherwise:

(4) If you don't want to use the Pixel Editor, you don't use SuperStar, and you don't have a huge show that has performance issues, then no, I would not recommend upgrading to Pro at this time.

Great info Bob.  I do have one question.  Will the intensity files and enhanced network work if I run my show with SanDevices controllers?  I am 100% RGB and use all E1.31 for my smart and dumb pixels.  If they will not work, then I see no reason, right now, to upgrade from advanced.

Thanks, Bob.  That helps a lot.  I don't use SuperStar; I have a lot of regular LOR channels and run 3 pixel controllers with about 3000 pixels.  I don't really consider it a lot compared to what others are doing.  So, think I will wait until I get things set up in November and see how it runs.  Can always upgrade to Pro then.

If I upgrade to S4-pro. Do I have to use the pixel editor, or can I just use the S4 and it's benefits. I may use the pixel editor after this Christmas season is over.

• Like 1

Great info Bob.  I do have one question.  Will the intensity files and enhanced network work if I run my show with SanDevices controllers?  I am 100% RGB and use all E1.31 for my smart and dumb pixels.  If they will not work, then I see no reason, right now, to upgrade from advanced.

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with SanDevices controllers.  With that said, though:

(1) LOR Enhanced networks are for LOR devices, not DMX devices.

(2) Intensity files can be used with LOR Enhanced networks or with DMX universes (or with both simultaneously).

So I think the answer to your question is that LOR Enhanced isn't relevant to your situation, but yes, you could use intensity files.  Keep in mind that (at least at this point in time) intensity files are only created by SuperStar and/or the Pixel Editor.

If I upgrade to S4-pro. Do I have to use the pixel editor, or can I just use the S4 and it's benefits. I may use the pixel editor after this Christmas season is over.

No, you would not have to use the Pixel Editor.

Also, one of those questions made me realize that I had said:

"LOR Enhanced networks are required if you use intensity files"

That's not exactly true.  You can also use intensity files with DMX universes.  What I had meant (but phrased badly) was that if you want to use intensity files for an LOR network, that LOR network has to be an LOR Enhanced network.

Great thread

Thanks for the clarification, bob.

I was under the impression I had to download 4.0.* before my year was up but makes sense that it would go by release date (makes sense now that I think about it).

I am with Denny and Indi, I want the perks of S4 but want to run this year show without using PE or intensity files until next year.

After my year has ended (sept) I will upgrade to pro and therefore auto-renew for another year and any further releases will be made available to me. I believe that's right,

Got a game plan!

bob i just up graded to s4 pro from s3 advanced now i can t seem to get the com lis to start i used to be able to test e 131 with out having the rs 485 pluged in it this not the case now?

o never mind guys i found the problim when my computer did its restart after the upgrade com lis did not install correctly .did a manual restart today every thing works as it should

This question if for BOB,

I currently am licenced for 3.12.* advanced level. I also want to upgrade to S4.

I would like to add superstar as I am using pixel strings and dumb nodes on DMX.

So the question is, Do I upgrade to superstar and that covers the S4 upgrade, or do I need to do both.

I'm having a hard time understanding the layout for the upgrade from the wording in the importantant announcements thread.

I think others would like to know a simplified answer too.

Thanks in advance.

This question if for BOB,

I currently am licenced for 3.12.* advanced level. I also want to upgrade to S4.

I would like to add superstar as I am using pixel strings and dumb nodes on DMX.

So the question is, Do I upgrade to superstar and that covers the S4 upgrade, or do I need to do both.

I'm having a hard time understanding the layout for the upgrade from the wording in the importantant announcements thread.

I think others would like to know a simplified answer too.

Thanks in advance.

If you purchase (or upgrade) a SuperStar license, it counts as a license renewal for the rest of the LOR software suite too. 

There is no reason to purchase a license renewal if you purchase a SuperStar license.  There is no reason to purchase a license renewal if you purchase a SuperStar upgrade.  There is no reason to purchase a license renewal if you purchase a license upgrade.

I believe if you purchase a superstar licence/upgrade you get a licence renewal. As Bob has stated, but this will only get you to S4 advanced.

It will cost an additional $50 to upgrade from advanced to pro. Pro gets you the pixel editor & enhanced LOR network.

or if your looking for the pixel editor you can just upgrade from advanced to pro ($50) & you automatically get a licence renewal.

I would assume 4.0.38 is going to feel like 4.1? And if I upgrade to to 4.0.38 (still at 3.15 advanced right now), I would get a free upgrade to 4.1? Or should I wait till 4.1?

I would assume 4.0.38 is going to feel like 4.1? And if I upgrade to to 4.0.38 (still at 3.15 advanced right now), I would get a free upgrade to 4.1? Or should I wait till 4.1?

Since you get a licence renewal if you upgrade, then you will get all of the LOR software releases for 1 year, from time of upgrade. ( this could be up to 4.5 by then )