Light-O-Rama Forums

Recommendations on Extension Cords and Light Strings

mrpbjnance

SO I am getting into this full steam.  I was looking for recommendations on extension cords and light strings.

Has any one had success of Cutting a sting of lights down to size?

What about splitting extension cords?  I have done it before (Not on purpose I accidentally cut it with the trimmers  LOL)  But is there a better/cheaper way to get extension cords and light strings?

Thx!

Yea.  SPT cable and vampire plugs.  You can easily make up cables in whatever length that you need.  Note that there is SPT-1 and SPT-2.  Either will work fine, but make sure you get connectors that match the cable you buy.

+1 for SPT wire for extension cords, also be careful about cutting light strings as you could mess up the balance of the earths rotation and the harmony in the music or something like that and they won't work.

CDI just announced their summer sale, they usually have SPT and plugs.  www.creativedisplays.com

I wouldn't recommend cutting light strings down.   Unless you know what you are doing, it will just ruin the string.

Jerry

Hmmm, recommendations on extension cords?

#1.     Buy twice as much as you think you're going to need.

#2.     Budget another 50% beyond that number for what you're actually going to wind up using.

#3.     Scramble for another 500' sometime around the 2nd week of November because you somehow managed to use everything up already.

Yep, that should about do it.

Hmmm, recommendations on extension cords?

#1. Buy twice as much as you think you're going to need.

#2. Budget another 50% beyond that number for what you're actually going to wind up using.

#3. Scramble for another 500' sometime around the 2nd week of November because you somehow managed to use everything up already.

Yep, that should about do it.

Describes 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 to the letter.

2015, well already bought on 2 pre-sales and will still probably wipe out local Lowes in November.

I still keep a eye on the local dollar store and 99 cent stores... they get a lot in at times and I have got some there 15 foot for a dollar... cant really beat that much.. even if I have to put a couple together that gives me 30 ft for like 2 bucks.

I also try to set my controllers close to what they are going to be controlling. that way I dont have to use as many long cords either.. 

Edited by Old Sarge

+1 on SPT cable and Vampire plugs.  I'm all for the Dollar store as well.  When I can't find Vampire plugs for cheap I've cut the $1 cords in half, solder and water proof heat tubed them to SPT cord for a longer cord.  I like to use 12awg wire for power to my controllers.  Last year I found some 100' cords at Costco for like $45 so I bought a few and cut them to shorter length's and put new plugs on them for cheaper than buying new 25' or 50' cords. (12awg)

I haven't cut too many LED strands of lights, but plenty of incandescent in my lifetime.  When I used C9's I cut them to fit the exact length of my roofline and eaves.  With the 100ct mini's you just have to find the center of the strand and you can cut them in half.  Any smaller and they burn out.  They are manufactured for a specific number of light bulbs so when you start making the strands smaller there gets to be too much power and burns the bulbs out.  I haven't had too many issues with cutting 100ct into 2 50ct.

You will never have enough SPT connectors. Don't be frugal when ordering these. When they sell out, it is hard to find them afford-ably.

Dollar Store is a good idea... Never go there so I would not even have thought about it.

I do cut LED strands. Some are easy to find the cut point.

Others I won't think of cutting.

I hit up the dollar store, the 99 cent store as well as a lot of other discount stores when I am just out driving around or happen to see one.

I have also found a really good deal on ext cords at thrift stores, good will etc. and dont forget to check out yard sales etc.

I got a couple big boxes of misc Christmas lights etc. a ta moving sale  just yesterday for 5 bucks... prob got a few hundred misc lights, a couple blow ups , and some other decorations for inside and out side in them etc. I haven't had time to go threw it all yet but so far all i have checked have worked fine.,

Harbor freight has good deals going on for electrical shrink wrap... I plan on making a HF run tomorrow.

some say it takes to long to strip and solder things... I do it as I sit around and watch TV so its not a big deal time wise..

This Dollar Store .99 cord got me thinking... It is hard enough to find affordable SPT plugs. 

I could just buy the extension and splice in SPT wire to make it longer where needed.

I might have to experiment to see if I can keep the spliced connections dry. 

Nothing like getting electrocuted walking across the front yard.

you can actually order the Dollar store cord by the case and have them shipped to the store closest to you. You will just need to find the product number and call thier 1-800 number. sorry i don't have any of the info with me at the moment but i have ordered a few cases this way.  

Well what good are you doing telling us then, info man, info!!!!!

Edited by Mr. P

Thanks for the tip Earle.

I called them to see if they had anything left and they sold me two  1000 ft rolls of SPT 1 for $50.00 a roll.

The owner is retiring and that's why they closed the business.

• 2 months later...

As some of you may have gathered, I am the owner of a vacuum store. I generate 1000's of feet if good preowned electrical wire annually. I would recommend that anyone out there in need of extension cords find a local vacuum store and get chummy with the owner. If it goes well you might be able to get him to save the cords that he cuts off of vacuums that are getting tossed. I know from experience that you will need to stop and pick them up often, we don't have a lot of room to store them. You might even convince him to wholesale some heavy duty ends to you. I make 50' 16-3 cords for about $4.00 ea. dirty copper isn't bringing squat for scrap so right now would be a good time to make a new friend or two.

I might not know much about LOR but I'm never short on cords.

I get most of mine here... from Dollar General store... shipping to store os free and you can check to see if there is a local store for you..

http://www.dollartree.com/household/electronics/Durex-3-Outlet-Extension-Cords-For-Indoor-Use-6-ft-/500c548c548p323400/index.pro?method=search

cheaper then getting vampire plugs unless you just like them.... also allows you to have a three outlet plug on the end of you extension cords and you can still attach to spt cable..

The nice part about settling on SPT2 to use, and keeping your inventory to it, and the SPT2 vampire plugs, is the fact that it is compatible with any of the deals you can get from the store bought SPT cords.

I wish someone shared that with me years ago when I started, and it is the only way to go now. It reduces weight and space for storing the cords....