Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16

aesl1982

My thoughts will be soon since the latest S4 Beta release had some updates and such for it. No idea when, just assuming, soon.

The absolute SOONEST it could come out is with the official release of S4 since that is where all the support for it is.  

Dan and Co. have been keeping me jumping on getting all the support for it just right.

• 1 month later...

Since it's been awhile on this post, I thought I'd bring it up front on the new content and see if there's any word on this controller yet. Will it be released soon?

Christmas Expo would be a great time to release it! Will you at least have a demo that we can see? Please!

I am guessing it will be ready before the Lor summer sale begins. There is one question......will it work with the Lor Gn3 MP3 player/Director Unit?  I am guessing it should because the Gn 3 mp3 player can run at 500 speed.

Christmas Expo would be a great time to release it! Will you at least have a demo that we can see? Please!

We had one at LAST year's expo :)  You mean you missed it?

I'm sure We are bringing one, and I'll have one with me for my 'What's new in S4' class.

I am guessing it will be ready before the Lor summer sale begins. There is one question......will it work with the Lor Gn3 MP3 player/Director Unit?  I am guessing it should because the Gn 3 mp3 player can run at 500 speed.

Yes, it will be able to work with a G3MP3, as long as you set the MP3 director to run at 500K, use ELOR/Intensity Files, and plan on a modest pixel display.  S4 Pro required.

I guess I didn't have as much interest last year since I was using CCR's and it wasn't necessary at that time. I did notice the matrix that's been at the last 2 Expos, what's with those?

I guess I didn't have as much interest last year since I was using CCR's and it wasn't necessary at that time. I did notice the matrix that's been at the last 2 Expos, what's with those?

If you remember the pixel tree at the back right (the one with the plastic tubes on the white frame that could be controlled with the joysticks), that was being driven by a Pixcon 16.  

As for the matrix.  That thing is being a thorn in our side.  The board, the design, the firmware, even the code in the Suite, EVERYTHING is ready.  What we can't find is a manufacturer that can produce a watertight enclosure that meets our specs.  Apparently getting a seal around that big of an area is not very easy - and I would imagine, one that stays flexible enough in a huge temperature delta is very VERY difficult.  We have had at least 2 separate companies go as far as creating the molds and running some test batches for us....  Only to find they leak.

Yes! I remember the tree, even played with the joystick. Will you be able to use the joystick on the production boards?

No, that was just for demos.  We wrote a special interface so the laptop would work with a USB joystick.  It is not something we are going to release.

Yes, it will be able to work with a G3MP3, as long as you set the MP3 director to run at 500K, use ELOR/Intensity Files, and plan on a modest pixel display.  S4 Pro required.

What is considered a modest pixel display?  I have 12 ccrs (I need 4 more for 16 ccr controllers), eight ccp controllers/strings, & two 16 channel regular Lor controllers & two eight channel Lor controllers. Is this considered modest?

Unfortunately, there are too many variables to really say what a typical modest display is.  For example, you could have 12 CCRs and completely overload a 500K network because of the number of commands.  On the other hand, you could have 80 CCRs that only very slowly change and be fine.

Basically the best advice I can offer is to try to run it from a computer at 500K with ELOR.  If it runs OK on the computer, it should run OK on the director.

Will S4's new file system help with the director?

Yes, if you have Pro and create Intensity Files (Enhanced LOR), then the G3 directors can use them.  You need to use the Hardware Utility to write the card.