Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Channel Intensity

Todd_91

I have changed all my landscape lighting to RGB and use LOR to set the colors of all my spots and malibu lights.  I cannot seem to find a way to control the brightness/intensity of the lighting.  I thinking I am missing something but cannot seem to find out how to dim a channel.  I am not doing anything other than turning the lights on and selecting a color.  

I'm a little confused by your statement because you said you converted to RGB, but you are using Malibu lights - which are not RGB devices.  Can you give a little more detail on what hardware you are using - both controllers and lights.

However, assuming you really are using RGB hardware I should be able to help.  I am running over 100 channels for my year round landscape lighting controlled by LOR.  I assume you are sequencing in the Sequence Editor (as opposed to SuperStar or the new in S4 Pixel Editor), so that is the instructions I will give.  Further I am assuming that you have converted in Sequence Editor the channels from individual channels into RGB channels.

Your friend is the Color Fade tool.  This is the icon that is a rectangle that is yellow on the left and red on the right with a little green arrow on the top left pointed right and another little green arrow on the bottom right pointed left.  When you select that tool, it will bring up a color fade selection with the ability to select the start and end color of the fade.  When you select of the "Choose" buttons you get a color palette that you can either select a color, or manually edit the Red, Green, and Blue levels.  You can also move the black pointer on the right to darken or brighten the selected color.  Once you have to color you want, click "OK".  Then repeat for the end color.  If you want the same color for the beginning and end color, simply select "Copy" to copy the start color to the end color.  Once you have the colors selected, select a start time for that color fade and an end time for the pixels you want to paint that color fade.

The other way to do it is to select the little Red/Green/Blue box at the far left of the time scale to expand the three colors, and then you can change levels for each of the three component colors just like any other LOR channel.

If none of this makes sense, PM me a phone number and I give you a call.

BTW, you can see what I am doing for landscape lighting at:

http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

Jim's got it, but I think it might help to make clear one little thing that people sometimes miss:

On an RGB channel, black is off.  Doing a color fade to black is fading the RGB channel off.  Doing a color fade to (for example) a darker red from a brighter red is fading down red.

Jim,

Cool display I might try working the RGB strips in to my landscaping like you have.  Here is what I have done

1) Removed all the old school bulbs from the malibu lights and installed Rainbow spots 

2) Replace all my old school spots with Rainbow spots in a waterproof enclosure

3) SanDevices ELOR to convert the LOR to DMx

4) 2 - Seasonal Entertainment 24 channel controllers.

I have all my channels set up for my lights in RGB and have used the color fade tool to make the cools that I wanted.

So if I understand correctly I just have to find a color I want then use the slider on the right to reduce the intensity or dim the light. 

Thank you Todd.

Thanks for the clarification of what your hardware is. That makes more sense now. As for the sequencing, I think you've got it.

• 4 months later...

Jim or Todd,

You ideas help a lot but still unable to turn my RGB bulbs down a little. I get the color fade tool but still can't figure where you go to set the intensity. If I open the intensity tool and select a lower value, then select the RGB channel, it makes all three colors the intensity value I selected. Therefore dimming the light but turning it white.

Thanks for any help.

Calhoun Lights

There is a menu item when you right click on a channel or multiple channels for some amount of time to meet the intensity by either a percentage or number amount. That's fairly new, but I can't remember exactly when that feature was added. If needed, I can give more details if I fire up the laptop.

The tool that Jim is referring to can be found by right-clicking on a selected area and choosing "Change Intensities" from the popup menu that will open. Details can be found in the help file here.

Jim and Bob, thanks for the quick replies. Added RGB to my landscape lighting, and in some areas I need to dim it. I will try these suggestions later this evening.

Calhoun Lights