Light-O-Rama Forums

Why We Do It.

Dcroc

You burn a couple lights? :o

Yeah, was thinking Martha Stewart Flamers would be pretty cool, if the timing was spot on.

You burn a couple lights? :o

Yeah, was thinking Martha Stewart Flamers would be pretty cool, if the timing was spot on.

yah my wife watches videos and seen one with fire in it. I tend to over do things. Couldn't imagine me with fire. I'd probably burn the neighborhood down
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

like most i have many reasons, first is I LOVE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS, watching my show and others and even the ones that dont go blinky blinky. Now there is the part of showing off what I &my crew did, and if others happen to like it also then that a bonus. I watch the show alot! even if there is no one else there i watch it. Ive had that moment watching a little girl get her father to dance with her in the street and knowing that was a special memory for them...pretty awesome to be part of, I worked at Disney for years so watched that many times, but I made that one happen. I also do it because I remember helping my dad put the lights up before he passed away, so thats probably where it starts. Now with all that said, we will see how this year works out, have a new girlfriend who has been told about but never seen the lights! little does she know whats about to happen

I am suddenly reminded of something the band was told on "Making The Band":  "I'm not saying you are not allowed to have a girl friend. I am saying you won't be able to keep one".

....and Twister:  "I didn't sign up for this. When you said you 'chase storms' I thought it was a metaphor"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do it for many reasons; my competitive spirit that got me started in the first place between me and a friend that put up ridiculous amounts of Christmas lights, my family (from my parents to my grandchildren) that would be disappointed if I didn't do it, winning the Christmas light contest with my first show without even entering and not starting it till after the judging took place LOL and to see the faces light up gives me a good feeling. Christmas lights and fireworks are my creative outlet, the crowds that gather to watch just come with the territory. I can watch the lights for hours and I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment that nothing else can bring. So yea, I do it for me but also to make the family happy and give the wife her bragging rights amongst the old hens and that friend that I used to compete with has given up now, lol I WIN AGAIN!! :D

I do it because I have way too much money and way too much time. I keep asking, "do my kids really need college?" and then I buy more controllers.

I started after visiting a house a few miles away and being floored. I asked the owner how in the world this is all possible. He told me not to bother because it's too much money and time and I probably couldn't do it. That was enough for me.started the following year.

• Like 1

I started after visiting a house a few miles away and being floored. I asked the owner how in the world this is all possible. He told me not to bother because it's too much money and time and I probably couldn't do it. That was enough for me.started the following year.

Seems like a real piece of work, I would go back to see his lights and I'd be motivated to prove him wrong and make it better

Already done. He's got more lights than I do but it looks all in disarray. I don't like to ever speak poorly about others but even with my limited knowledge I always try to help when I can.

I understand what your saying, I don't think to bad mouth anyone who puts in the effort to do this or even put up lights of any kind. But I certainly have seen ones I love and ones I go wow really does nothing for me. But in the instance of that person, I'd have to make en exception. I would take it as an insult.

This last year I had a friend that I was helping get into this, helping him learn and sequence so he could get a show going to make his kids happy. Honestly he jumped in with both feet and got in a little to deep for the first year I thought. He bought controllers and pixels from a certain well known Vendor who makes Coro pieces from Texas. When he had difficulties getting it working, he called their "world class customer service", where the tech told him that he felt that he wasn't intelligent enough to figure it out and not everyone was capable of doing this. Let's just say I refuse to do business with said vendor anymore.

Everyone has different skill levels, that's why we help each other

• Like 1

I don't see why you should call BS on anyone's reasoning for doing anything. We all accomplish tasks based on reasons that are sensible to us, even if those actions are done intuitively. I, personally, simply do what I do because I myself enjoy it. Everything else is an added bonus. 

I don't do light shows yet, but when we moved to our current house in 2006 it started by purchasing a lighted tinsel white elephant to put out near our front door on the night of our annual White Elephant party (now in it's 17th year)!  But then the next year we added a lighted tinsel giraffe that we found on sale.  The next year we added a hippo and a pig.  And at that point the obsession began.  We originally only did lighted tinsels, but then one year we got an inflatable that was REALLY cheap, and suddenly we added those.  Every year we buy 5-6 new lighted tinsels and at least one inflatable.  Last year we bought a bunch more lights and some spiral trees because I knew my path was leading up to doing a light show in the future.

Why do we do it?  Because we love the notoriety of being "that house" in the neighborhood.  We have people drive and walk by all Christmas season long, and have even had notes left in our mailbox saying, "You were our favorite house in town this year!"  We also do it because we have a light-hearted competition with some friends of ours at church - they have a much bigger property, and therefore have a much larger display, but we love seeing if we can outdo the other each year (this is where LOR comes in next year).

As for LOR, I'm a software junkie, so I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to that part of creating our 2016 display.  I can't wait!

Edited by Jaynee

What you need to do is to teach one of the grandkids, how to do it, so that you can pass it on. No doubt, one will take an interest and if not now, the family will remember you doing this every year. One of them will go looking. Leave instructions!

I might.  I've already got the software open and am pecking around.  Created my visualizer already, assuming only 16 channels.  Now I'm looking at the free sequences that are available so that I can study those in order to get my bearing on the actual sequencing software.  Fortunately, I've already seen some really great tutorials, so I think I'm in a good place to POSSIBLY run something basic this year.  We'll see!

• Like 1