Light-O-Rama Forums

Why We Do It.

Dcroc

Ask yourself, "If there were no ohs and ahs, saw no smiling children, heard no one talk about your show, and had little if any viewers, would you still do it?" My answer is yes. Fortunately all those happen for me and it make its it that much more satisfying. As much as I like the attention and appreciation from others and especially my family, my biggest, most loyal viewer of my lights is me.

and yeah, showing off, feels pretty good too 

..."If there were no ohs and ahs, saw no smiling children, heard no one talk about your show....

Are you sure if no one is there to see it, the lights would still blink?

Are you really sure?

lol

no I am not sure, otherwise it would be a bug report

.....but if no one is watching, who cares?!?! - power saver

• Like 1

We all do it for ourselves. The reasons why may vary, but It makes us happy! The Christmas Spirit. We do it because we feel good when the little kids smile and make the comments. We enjoy it when the long hours of sequencing , cold days of stringing lights, testing sets and making one last trip to the hardware store for more SPT-1 wire are done! We do it because it makes us chuckle when the grumpy neighbor down the street makes another grumbling comment about how much the electric bill must be and glad he doesn't need to pay it because we know the benefits of LED and how much that bill really is. It makes us feel good when your 10-year old son is already looking for a corner lot so he can build his house and have a better light display than you! I do it for all those reasons.

So yes, we all have different reasons why, but in the end we do it because it makes us happy! Just remember that at 2am when you are having issues with the SE.

So yes, we all have different reasons why, but in the end we do it because it makes us happy! Just remember that at 2am when the SE is having issues with YOU.

Fixed that for ya ... ;)

• Like 1

I do it because I like being broke, angry, confused, stressed out, rushed and tired. You gotta love this stuff.

• Like 3

I do it just because I can. I will agree some on that show seem like they are only in it for the show.

• Like 1

Im in it to show off and have the best display in my area that makes all the others look bad  :D and to make neighbours angry on halloween when I bring the PA system out... I also like to do it because it gives people a sense of mystery about how it works! And if people smile and say they like it it just gives me more motivation to do it again next year.

• Like 1

Ok...my confession....Loved Christmas lights since I was a wee lad.. (Queens NY)Dad strung a strand of C9's around our front window (25  lights) and I was thrilled... Move forward to 2007, I see Holdmans light show on youtube and that brought me to where I am today..Yes I did it for Me!!!! Never realizing it would become what it has today in our own "little" world..Yes I am THE house at Christmas Time and I love it!!! 

We probably all have some type of "entertainer" gene we were born with and this was the perfect outlet...oh by the way Dcroc...maybe like you this was the reason

I have the TD-10 expanded set.  Wife was rather upset when I bought it because I am a guitar player, and not a drummer at all.  Great to have around when people stop by and want to jam. Best thing is, every body complains about "electronic drums" until they play them.....then they go buy the same set.

I do it because I like being broke, angry, confused, stressed out, rushed and tired. You gotta love this stuff.

Yup....about sums it all up.

So tired of seeing all the people on Great Christmas light shows talk about how they do it "to bring a smile to kids".  I'm calling BS.  I do it because I am a show off. I'm a performer from the day I was born. I use to play in a band, and I still have a need to create, and to have a spot light on me. The only reason I give a **** about the neighborhood kids is because I need an audience. Tell the wife, and the news crew, anything you want about "bringing smiles to the young faces", but I firmly believe we all do it because we are simply showing off.

:P LOVE the Honesty Dcrock! :D, I would say that most won't want to admit but showing off is a big part of it, It does bring joy to the

visitors and that is a big part of it, but deep inside we all enjoy the kudos and attention it brings, we are all a little Narcissistic

I enjoy working with the technology and building props, I hate sequencing.  I enjoy the kind comments during the year when working in the yard.  I would love to hire George to sequence for me, but he would look at my visualizer and say "WTF, dude!"  Seriously, I wouldn't blame him

• Like 2

I do it to see the smiles on kids faces, at Halloween and Christmas!!  The looks I got with Big G were priceless plus the chocolate cookie smells coming from the fog machine!!!  Nothing like giving kids the munchies while they are collecting munchies.  They stand in awe of my singing Christmas trees.

Why?

to show off the little creativity a technician ( often called an autistic ) can have perhaps?  ;)

I use a kind of table with three buttons to drive the show, seen kids sitting on top of the table watching the lights last Christmas at the Christmasfair in Haarzuilens, thats why! ( the table sustained the stress beautifully )

Dick

The Netherlands

I do it because I stopped smoking and spend my Tobacco money on LOR stuff and Lights etc. also It helps me keep my finger and mind busy so I don't think about  smoking as much because I have never smoked in the house.... 

I dont do it for kids.... I dont do it for neighbors.... they cant see my display and I live in the country so I dont do it for people driving down the street..... Only have 1 neighbor who can see it..... I dont do it for the News Crews... or the news papers.... anyone else has to have permission and I have to open my gates to let them into my property.... It can be seen from far far away down the valley if someone knows where to look and has a telescope as I live on the side of a mountain...

I do it because I Like the Pretty Lights and I Support making our people who work at the electric company have job security.... and makes the stock holders have more spending money after Christmas to pay those credit card bills with..

I Do It Just Because i Can.... I have like maybe 10 family members who get to see it if they come over for Christmas or during the days I have it up..

I do it because I like spending all my saved money for lights decorations etc... I dont plan on having a huge savings left over for Kids and Grandkids to fight over when I am gone.... LOL  

They can fight over lights, decorations and LOR controllers...

• Like 1

What you need to do is to teach one of the grandkids, how to do it, so that you can pass it on. No doubt, one will take an interest and if not now, the family will remember you doing this every year. One of them will go looking. Leave instructions!

• Like 2

I heard about reverse mortgages.... you know... we buy your house but you still live in it... 

I am trying to get a nephew to reverse mortgage my LOR controllers and Christmas decorations...

Trying to keep it all in the family...lol

• Like 1

I do it because I wanted another hobby even though I didn't need one. I've always loved lights, being the king of the block with static and also seeing everyone come by with smiles. I got a few postcards last year and it was awesome to know it touched someone. But really it boils down to me just enjoying it. I sit in driveway burn a couple and watch lights even if no one is there. When I come home and lights are going I tune to my station and sit in driveway a couple minutes longer

• Like 1

I sit in driveway burn a couple

You burn a couple lights? :o

Edited by godman

I even remember living in an apartment with my wife. And we heard there was a decorating contest. I went to Home Depot and lowes n Walmart and bought tons of lights. Didn't have a plan and just started hanging them on patio. The upstairs neighbor would copy every night and do the same. Finally he moved his Christmas tree to the window and I put mine outside on patio. He gave up. Little did I know first place we got a free carpet cleaning. While second place "the upstairs guy" got 100 gift card

• Like 1