jfuller8400

Drone Recommendations

105 posts in this topic

he has no business buzzing or videoing  my place.... Just like catching a window peeper looking into my house...

Its Gated, on a Private Road, No outside access, My driveway is about 1/4 mi long... and totally fenced/walled in with no trespassing signs posted.

oh my neighbors house is about 1/4 mi from mine. Outside My Fence/wall/Property line and there is a privacy wall between us so its none of his business what is on my side of the wall..... lol..

oops I mistook it for a Raven attacking my little cat... I do wear glasses and cant see that well especially with the glare of the sun...lol

and he cant legally come on my property looking for it if it crashes here... Its Trespassing..

Edited by Old Sarge

I totally understand what you are saying, but check into your local laws.....usually the airspace above your property isnt yours. Best thing is just to talk to the neighbor and let him know your not comfortable with it flying over your land.

Id hate to see you get in trouble for it.

In the last few weeks we have had three instances of air operations halted over brush fires because civilian drones were flying too close.  There has been lots of publicity about it, but it keeps happening. 

Old Sarge I read a quote today. " I don't plan anything for my day, because that word 'premeditated ' starts popping up in courtrooms. "

Old Sarge I read a quote today. " I don't plan anything for my day, because that word 'premeditated ' starts popping up in courtrooms. "

LOL

Just saw on the 10PM news how some idiot installed a semi-automatic hand gun to a drone and seen it take a few shots. The drone moved a bit but was able to recover in 2 seconds and took another shot. I have no idea what the grouping looked like. Nor was we given a close up to see if there was a camera looking down the sights. Very interesting. Wonder if drones will become illegal? Now my post will not be fuel to the fire. Its the idiot who mounted a handgun to his drone that will be the fuel added to the fire.

Just saw on the 10PM news how some idiot installed a semi-automatic hand gun to a drone and seen it take a few shots. The drone moved a bit but was able to recover in 2 seconds and took another shot. I have no idea what the grouping looked like. Nor was we given a close up to see if there was a camera looking down the sights. Very interesting. Wonder if drones will become illegal? Now my post will not be fuel to the fire. Its the idiot who mounted a handgun to his drone that will be the fuel added to the fire.

THat would have to be a big drone.  The weight of a gun would not allow most small hobby drones to fly. 

he has no business buzzing or videoing  my place.... Just like catching a window peeper looking into my house...

Its Gated, on a Private Road, No outside access, My driveway is about 1/4 mi long... and totally fenced/walled in with no trespassing signs posted.

oh my neighbors house is about 1/4 mi from mine. Outside My Fence/wall/Property line and there is a privacy wall between us so its none of his business what is on my side of the wall..... lol..

oops I mistook it for a Raven attacking my little cat... I do wear glasses and cant see that well especially with the glare of the sun...lol

and he cant legally come on my property looking for it if it crashes here... Its Trespassing..

Actually Sarge, most of the hobby drones can't take very close up pictures and it would be like telling Google Earth you can't shoot my place from the sky..  Some of the professional drone cameras perhaps can take closer shots.. but that is about it.  Your nude sun bathing is safe.. LOL

Video on CNN states this was part of a college project with the professor involved and the flight and firing of the handgun was on the owner's private property.  Local police said that no laws were broken.

I just looked that up.. I am very surprised he was able to do that.. That drone looks to be a hobby drone.. That is a bit scary..

Edited by plasmadrive

Point is that it HAS been done. And from the video I know that no DJI drone will do the job. It will need to be a home made drone (note how long it is between the front and rear).  So, someone has just put the idea in someone else head and shown them what the platform looks like. Note how the gun was mounted with the barrel near the same plane that the props are one if not just a bit lower. I would say perfect tool for an assassin to use. Except for the prop noise.

Point is that it HAS been done. And from the video I know that no DJI drone will do the job. It will need to be a home made drone (note how long it is between the front and rear).  So, someone has just put the idea in someone else head and shown them what the platform looks like. Note how the gun was mounted with the barrel near the same plane that the props are one if not just a bit lower. I would say perfect tool for an assassin to use. Except for the prop noise.

YEah.. I was surprised.. my DJI would not be able to do that.. .. that is the kind of stuff that gets the rest of us in trouble..

My apologies for digging up a bit of an old thread here.  Looking to buy a DJI Pahntom 3 for a Christmas gift and have run across Standard, Advanced, and Professional models as options with each priced accordingly.  Any recommendation among these sub-models from owners on here?  Or has another brand come forward as a better option for consideration in the interim?  For what it's worth, we do already have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver camera available to use with a compatible drone.

Edited by SparkDr

I have the Advanced Phantom 3 and couldn't be happier. I chose the advanced instead of the professional because I couldn't really see the extra $250 for the 4K video as the Phantom 3 has amazing video already, Its easy to fly and I'm very happy with it.

1 person likes this

Must now register drones.  http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

I'm not surprised.  Heck, I'm from NY.  Registrations of every kind are nothing new to us.  If I can deal with NY's crappy gun laws, I can handle a little paperwork for the feds.

Excerpts from the FAQ page at this link - http://www.faq.gov/uas/registration/faqs

Q.  Where do I go to register?

A.  on faa.gov beginning December 21, 2015

Q.  When must I register?

A.  You must register prior to operating the UAS outdoors.

Q. When will I be able to register on this UAS website?

A.  WIll be available starting December 21, 2015.

Q.  May I operate my UAS once I register? 

A. Completion of registration does not provide authorization to operate your UAS.

Typical nightmare!

There are those saying the DJI phantoms will not work without firmware upgrades preventing you from operating in no fly zones. I wonder if they will sync with the FAA if you refuse to register them.....casusing your unit not to operate until you do.

Any word?

Not me.

Molan Labe

FYI - it's Molon Labe (meaning "Come and get them!").  And I don't think registering a toy whirlybird is on par with asking anyone to lay down their arms.  I'm guessing you probably register your cars as required without such defiance.  I bet you file you taxes faithfully every year, too. ;)

k4JxOex.jpgThe FAA is really strictly enforcing this. Merry Christmas to all!

1 person likes this

There are those saying the DJI phantoms will not work without firmware upgrades preventing you from operating in no fly zones. I wonder if they will sync with the FAA if you refuse to register them.....casusing your unit not to operate until you do.Any word?
thats false in my end anyways. I haven't updated my phantom 3 and it still flys perfect. There are apps that will show you the no fly zones. And I haven't registered yet either. If u use it for more than hobby U can only register by paper and mail
Excerpts from the FAQ page at this link - http://www.faq.gov/uas/registration/faqsQ. Where do I go to register?A. on faa.gov beginning December 21, 2015Q. When must I register?A. You must register prior to operating the UAS outdoors.Q. When will I be able to register on this UAS website?A. WIll be available starting December 21, 2015.Q. May I operate my UAS once I register? A. Completion of registration does not provide authorization to operate your UAS. Typical nightmare!
if your not a hobbyist U have to register by pen and paper lol. Old fashioned 0124dafb384042f23c5804bdde852f9f.jpg Edited by aesl1982

I shot my neighbors drone with a 22 pellet gun... watched it going down.... kep buzzing my pool and patio I will shot it again

The friendly little members of PETA decided this year to harass, even though it is illegal, a bunch of us while we were out Goose hunting. They decided to use drones. Really bad idea messing with guys like me out on the woods when we have weapons. You would be amazed at what a 12 guage will do to one of those things.

2 people like this

I was just reminded why I dont have Facebook.... to much long winded bs to try to possibly read something or see something interesting on them...