Light-O-Rama Forums

Drone Recommendations

jfuller8400

Point is that it HAS been done. And from the video I know that no DJI drone will do the job. It will need to be a home made drone (note how long it is between the front and rear).  So, someone has just put the idea in someone else head and shown them what the platform looks like. Note how the gun was mounted with the barrel near the same plane that the props are one if not just a bit lower. I would say perfect tool for an assassin to use. Except for the prop noise.

Point is that it HAS been done. And from the video I know that no DJI drone will do the job. It will need to be a home made drone (note how long it is between the front and rear).  So, someone has just put the idea in someone else head and shown them what the platform looks like. Note how the gun was mounted with the barrel near the same plane that the props are one if not just a bit lower. I would say perfect tool for an assassin to use. Except for the prop noise.

YEah.. I was surprised.. my DJI would not be able to do that.. .. that is the kind of stuff that gets the rest of us in trouble..

• 4 months later...

My apologies for digging up a bit of an old thread here.  Looking to buy a DJI Pahntom 3 for a Christmas gift and have run across Standard, Advanced, and Professional models as options with each priced accordingly.  Any recommendation among these sub-models from owners on here?  Or has another brand come forward as a better option for consideration in the interim?  For what it's worth, we do already have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver camera available to use with a compatible drone.

Edited by SparkDr

I have the Advanced Phantom 3 and couldn't be happier. I chose the advanced instead of the professional because I couldn't really see the extra $250 for the 4K video as the Phantom 3 has amazing video already, Its easy to fly and I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

Excerpts from the FAQ page at this link - http://www.faq.gov/uas/registration/faqs

Q.  Where do I go to register?

A.  on faa.gov beginning December 21, 2015

Q.  When must I register?

A.  You must register prior to operating the UAS outdoors.

Q. When will I be able to register on this UAS website?

A.  WIll be available starting December 21, 2015.

Q.  May I operate my UAS once I register? 

A. Completion of registration does not provide authorization to operate your UAS.

Typical nightmare!

There are those saying the DJI phantoms will not work without firmware upgrades preventing you from operating in no fly zones. I wonder if they will sync with the FAA if you refuse to register them.....casusing your unit not to operate until you do.

Any word?

Not me.

Molan Labe

FYI - it's Molon Labe (meaning "Come and get them!").  And I don't think registering a toy whirlybird is on par with asking anyone to lay down their arms.  I'm guessing you probably register your cars as required without such defiance.  I bet you file you taxes faithfully every year, too. ;)

There are those saying the DJI phantoms will not work without firmware upgrades preventing you from operating in no fly zones. I wonder if they will sync with the FAA if you refuse to register them.....casusing your unit not to operate until you do.Any word?
thats false in my end anyways. I haven't updated my phantom 3 and it still flys perfect. There are apps that will show you the no fly zones. And I haven't registered yet either. If u use it for more than hobby U can only register by paper and mail
Excerpts from the FAQ page at this link - http://www.faq.gov/uas/registration/faqsQ. Where do I go to register?A. on faa.gov beginning December 21, 2015Q. When must I register?A. You must register prior to operating the UAS outdoors.Q. When will I be able to register on this UAS website?A. WIll be available starting December 21, 2015.Q. May I operate my UAS once I register? A. Completion of registration does not provide authorization to operate your UAS. Typical nightmare!
if your not a hobbyist U have to register by pen and paper lol. Old fashioned 0124dafb384042f23c5804bdde852f9f.jpg Edited by aesl1982

I shot my neighbors drone with a 22 pellet gun... watched it going down.... kep buzzing my pool and patio I will shot it again

The friendly little members of PETA decided this year to harass, even though it is illegal, a bunch of us while we were out Goose hunting. They decided to use drones. Really bad idea messing with guys like me out on the woods when we have weapons. You would be amazed at what a 12 guage will do to one of those things.

• Like 2

I was just reminded why I dont have Facebook.... to much long winded bs to try to possibly read something or see something interesting on them... 

I have a DJI Phantom 2 for sale if anyone is interested.. extra battery and backpack

PM me if interested

Sold

Edited by plasmadrive

I was absolutely amazed how good the electronic stabilization worked.  Did a 360 roll and you could hardly tell that it wiggled.  Did a 360 loop and the video went wonky for less than 1/2 second.

Question,  does the wind have to be calm to fly and do a video  or will the video look jerky with the wind moving it around?

Depends on drone and gimble. Cheap hardware will yield inferior results. If your camera is not on a gimble expect poor results in modest wind conditions.