Light-O-Rama Forums

Drone Recommendations

jfuller8400

Exactly, however, what they are reporting is actually happening. Thus, the AMA's need to engage Congress, the FAA, and other Government departments that want to make these things illegal.  Even if you don't want to join the AMA (which is really cheap considering the amount of insurance it provides when your homeowners and medical won't), everyone that want's to fly RC should at least read, learn, and understand the safety guidelines. There are several practices posted on this thread alone that are only helping the media push their agenda. I have also personally witnessed how these things can injure and cause damage at great loss.

Ill admit ive had my phantom higher than its supossed to be, but im lucky enough to live close to a large airforce base so no civilian aircraft are aloud to fly over and im not in the flight path of the base. Im also out of the bases no fly zone for uav's.

But i have to be aware im close to a base so dont do anything stupid.

I don't think Max is  actually asking what a "drone is" I think he is asking what constitutes a drone based on the post about flying over Phillies Stadium?

Perhaps that is correct... I didn't read  it that way.... but I see the point now.

• 2 weeks later...

So I found a really good deal on a slightly used P2 Vision+ V3. For my purposes and cost this looked like a good way to get into the drone market. Hopefully should have it by end of next week.

• Like 1

So I found a really good deal on a slightly used P2 Vision+ V3. For my purposes and cost this looked like a good way to get into the drone market. Hopefully should have it by end of next week.

Have fun and be carefull!

• Like 1

Plasma,

Its kind of along of the lines of "what is, is?" And or what constituents an assault rifle? Now Drone can be attached to a single prop aircraft as it can to a multi prop aircraft, no?

• Like 1

"drone" refers to an aircraft with FPV. If you don't have FPV on your aircraft, it is not a drone.  However, the media is pushing the word "drone" so that it brings pictures in the minds eye of a dangerous, stealthy, weapon/spying device.

Dcroc, thanks for answering my question and helping me make my point. DRONE is being fixed on just about anything that is RC and flys, esp with a camera. As you noted the news media does not want to be confused with facts such as the aircraft needs to have FPV installed too.

So even if I had one of those quad copters with no camera of any sorts. And  if I was to fly it below 200 feet and in my unaided range of vision. Them social busy bodies called the news media would label my craft a drone.

That gents, is my is.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I told my neighbor.... You crash or land on my property and you can write off your drone as a casualty of war...lol... Or if it gets shot down over my property its still a casualty of war...lol

I told my neighbor.... You crash or land on my property and you can write off your drone as a casualty of war...lol... Or if it gets shot down over my property its still a casualty of war...lol

You can get in trouble and be held liable for that lol

.....and keep in mind some of those rigs are up and over $10,000

he has no business buzzing or videoing  my place.... Just like catching a window peeper looking into my house...

Its Gated, on a Private Road, No outside access, My driveway is about 1/4 mi long... and totally fenced/walled in with no trespassing signs posted.

oh my neighbors house is about 1/4 mi from mine. Outside My Fence/wall/Property line and there is a privacy wall between us so its none of his business what is on my side of the wall..... lol..

oops I mistook it for a Raven attacking my little cat... I do wear glasses and cant see that well especially with the glare of the sun...lol

and he cant legally come on my property looking for it if it crashes here... Its Trespassing..

Edited by Old Sarge

I totally understand what you are saying, but check into your local laws.....usually the airspace above your property isnt yours. Best thing is just to talk to the neighbor and let him know your not comfortable with it flying over your land.

Id hate to see you get in trouble for it.

In the last few weeks we have had three instances of air operations halted over brush fires because civilian drones were flying too close.  There has been lots of publicity about it, but it keeps happening. 

Old Sarge I read a quote today. " I don't plan anything for my day, because that word 'premeditated ' starts popping up in courtrooms. "

Old Sarge I read a quote today. " I don't plan anything for my day, because that word 'premeditated ' starts popping up in courtrooms. "

LOL

Just saw on the 10PM news how some idiot installed a semi-automatic hand gun to a drone and seen it take a few shots. The drone moved a bit but was able to recover in 2 seconds and took another shot. I have no idea what the grouping looked like. Nor was we given a close up to see if there was a camera looking down the sights. Very interesting. Wonder if drones will become illegal? Now my post will not be fuel to the fire. Its the idiot who mounted a handgun to his drone that will be the fuel added to the fire.

Just saw on the 10PM news how some idiot installed a semi-automatic hand gun to a drone and seen it take a few shots. The drone moved a bit but was able to recover in 2 seconds and took another shot. I have no idea what the grouping looked like. Nor was we given a close up to see if there was a camera looking down the sights. Very interesting. Wonder if drones will become illegal? Now my post will not be fuel to the fire. Its the idiot who mounted a handgun to his drone that will be the fuel added to the fire.

THat would have to be a big drone.  The weight of a gun would not allow most small hobby drones to fly. 

he has no business buzzing or videoing  my place.... Just like catching a window peeper looking into my house...

Its Gated, on a Private Road, No outside access, My driveway is about 1/4 mi long... and totally fenced/walled in with no trespassing signs posted.

oh my neighbors house is about 1/4 mi from mine. Outside My Fence/wall/Property line and there is a privacy wall between us so its none of his business what is on my side of the wall..... lol..

oops I mistook it for a Raven attacking my little cat... I do wear glasses and cant see that well especially with the glare of the sun...lol

and he cant legally come on my property looking for it if it crashes here... Its Trespassing..

Actually Sarge, most of the hobby drones can't take very close up pictures and it would be like telling Google Earth you can't shoot my place from the sky..  Some of the professional drone cameras perhaps can take closer shots.. but that is about it.  Your nude sun bathing is safe.. LOL

Video on CNN states this was part of a college project with the professor involved and the flight and firing of the handgun was on the owner's private property.  Local police said that no laws were broken.

I just looked that up.. I am very surprised he was able to do that.. That drone looks to be a hobby drone.. That is a bit scary..

Edited by plasmadrive