Light-O-Rama Forums

Ron Boyd

There have been a lot of discussion on how amazing and how terrible the new software is. My jury is still out.Since I have only been working on getting my new visualizers built to my liking, I can't feel good about forming an opinion either way.

That said,

Are there going to be some sort of video tutorials on how to properly use the new Pixel editor and then integrate it with S4 sequence editor and Superstar?

Superstar, no problem, Love it. Sequence editor, no problem but haven't used it in 2 or 3 years to sequence with. Pixel Editor, I'm totally lost.

I know it's probably already been asked, but how does it all mesh together? My Jedi reflexes can't be that rusty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Still trying to figure out SuperStar.  Found the videos don't start at the very basics. Need a couple videos for "dummies".  Totally lost on PE, so yeah.....some videos would be really nice.  I have been building and programming computers since '82, and am far from a beginner when it comes to that.  However, I find SS and PE totally confusing, and can not figure out where to even start.

• Like 1

Still trying to figure out SuperStar.  Found the videos don't start at the very basics. Need a couple videos for "dummies".  Totally lost on PE, so yeah.....some videos would be really nice.  I have been building and programming computers since '82, and am far from a beginner when it comes to that.  However, I find SS and PE totally confusing, and can not figure out where to even start.

I have a sequence that I built for a mini with a bunch of different Superstar effects in it. I can link to it if you want to spend some time and break down how the effects are built.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jurjonzggz4i82g/AADDPbxUk8iidNHMfuEFt2xBa?dl=0

Instead of sending a ton of emails to anyone who would like to see these, here's the Dropbox Link.

I don't have a narrative or even a written explanation, but I included both Visualizer files along with all of the screen caps. The screen cap names should give you a bit of info as to what the effect is, whether a morph, scene, image, smooth effects, etc.

Just DL the file, open Superstar, import the visualization files by selecting Import visualization pair, and then play the sequence. (I have the original, but so others can take a peek, I ask that you download the file to your PC before opening and/or changing anything)

I suggest first watch the effect to see what it does, then click on the effect to see how it's created, then watch it again.

You will notice on some of the morphs, 1A and/or 1B and 2A and/or 2B. State 1 is achieved by using the left mouse button and is the start, state 2 is the right one and the end. One click starts, one click ends. Click and hold and drag will get multiple strings.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Ditto on the Video tutorials. I thought I was the only one struggling with the pixel editor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron,

When I tried to open the pairs in SS, it says files are corrupt. Don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but could be. Or could someone have jacked with the files ???

Daniel

Daniel,

I just opened up both visualizers and Superstar and imported both files with no problems.

Maybe try downloading them again. 

Let me go in and zip this file so everything gets downloaded together.

NEW ZIP FILE LINK

https://www.dropbox.com/s/489p5io7s2fw674/1_Screen%20Grabs%20and%20sequence.zip?dl=0

Edited by Ron Boyd

Daniel,

I just opened up both visualizers and Superstar and imported both files with no problems.

NEW ZIP FILE LINK

https://www.dropbox.com/s/489p5io7s2fw674/1_Screen%20Grabs%20and%20sequence.zip?dl=0

I'll try that when I get back home tonight.

Thanks.

Here is what I did. I skipped watching any videos. I basically took Superstar & I just starting with a dummy sequence to see what each thing will do. A good place to start is in the drawing of animated characters.  However in Superstar itself there are partial sequences to look at. You can learn from them. Another thing you could do is buy a few ccr sequences & learn from them. (I didn't do this) because I wanted to go as far as I could on my own. I am still learning as there are many effects that can be created. 

I was trying to recreate the inch worm effect but what I was trying to do didn't look like the the inch worm effect that Ron sent me. I wanted to end the sequence with the inch worm effect & thanks to Ron I was able to do that. Eagleclaws had an effect I almost recreated but it wasn't right yet, & so he showed me how to do it.  I am thankful for that.  

Just keep playing with Superstar & see what each thing in Superstar can do. Watch those sample sequences. Look at the effects in the clipboard, & if you want buy ccr sequences (the actual Superstar file). 

Edited by lightzilla

I still say that videos would be nice. I am in the part of my summer break (school teacher) and in between two weddings (2 of my daughers are getting married THIS SUMMER) that I would like to start playing with this AND S4. As mentioned before I do not have Superstar and won't be purchasing Superstar (see the before mentioned about TWO weddings ;-). Everything I have seen mentioned in most all the post (here and in other threads) says something about Superstar. I hope that is not a must have item.

Videos please :-)

Videos would be nice, but this has been so helpful. I can actually make things happen now.  Still a bit slow, and clearly need more experience, but I finally feel that the proggie was worth the extra money. You guys are the best! Thank you!

Gotta say, I kinda love the "I can't do this" anxiety that I get before I find my way on it.  It is only topped by the rush in the moment I realize I can do it. I'm doing cartwheels thru my living room! Better than any drug!!!

Videos are always helpful and there are other videos available on YouTube that are not made by LOR but by users.  Just search for LOR or superstar or...  Also I have found using the help files, samples that were included with SS and then just playing with it can take you a long way.  And when you are really stumped -- the LOR forums are a great place to help you over the hurdle!  But most important when first starting is not to try to create your final sequence.  Just pick a song that is not real complex and see what you can create.  I found a short song and started playing; probably created a dozen or so versions of the same song as I learned something new here or there and then found by combining I could come up with xzy instead of xyz.

Daniel,

NEW ZIP FILE LINK

Awesome Ron. I was able to load up everything from these zip files. Probably was doing something wrong with the others - don't know. But I got them now. I'm not doing any CCR stuff this year, but I want to be learning for the future. It's great that people like yourself take the time to share what you know. Especially needing to learn SS as someday, even if I don't buy into CCRs myself, I need to payback some kindness to others in this thread... Right now, I just use SS to help with my SE sequencing. It will be good to learn more about what Brian built into it. Thanks again...