Light-O-Rama Forums

What a Shame to see that Grinch works for City Hall

Bizywk

i'm just saying to some people it doesn't matter what you do to please them or make them just a little happy it always seems like, they seem to have a negative attitude twards everything that usually makes other people happy and in harmony sorry about  the athiest thingy but i do get mad at people who try to ruin it for others or people who try to outdo themselves to make themselves look high and mighty and belittle others    cant we just all get along  is my motto

Edited by john fulkerson

I know I'm gonna get roasted for this, but since this appears to be in my home state of Florida {Broward County and Plantation, FL}, just not my location, I have to agree with the city and neighbors on this one, as much as that may make me appear to be a "Grinch", of which I'm not.   

But before you roast me too bad, here's why I say this, there are city or county, maybe even state codes that are on the books as to how much you can do in a residential neighborhood, and depending on type of neighborhood there are and can be differing guidelines {code violations}, a manufactured home park will have different rules as opposed to a brick and mortar built home in another neighborhood.

Our local fire department came to see my Halloween and Christmas displays in both 2013 and 2014.   And out of curiosity I asked if there were any city or county restrictions on how many lights one could put up.   The person I talked to didn't know the exact amount, but did say that at some point, if the display looked more like a "commercial enterprise" within a residential area, there possibly would be code violations to the owner of the display as commercial displays are not legal in most residential areas.   There are some areas that are defined Commercial/Residential, in those you could get away with a larger display.

So before going too big, I'd strongly suggest checking with your city, county and/or state agencies to know what your display limits may be for your neighborhood, this will help to keep you out of financial losses, and might even keep your neighbors happy.  

Although some neighbors, as we all know will nit pick on most anything, especially if it may inconvenience them, even if only for a very short amount of time.

But I think the Hyatt's are going to lose this battle.  Just my opinion.

Buy all of the houses around you. solution found. 

When my wife gets her next inheritance money {who knows when that will happen, all hinges on the sale of property}, our plan is to take to take that money and buy a very large acreage of wooded land and build our house in there.  No neighbors to contend with then and no houses would even be remotely close.  

And if anyone wants to watch our display, we'll have a nice sized parking area where the one display would be at.   If there's enough money left after clearing some of the area for our house, we'll next call on Pete Nelson{yea, the tree house guy} and have him build a few tree houses on the property, one will be permanently and entirely Halloween themed, another permanently and totally Christmas themed, all controlled by LOR controllers and software.   We'd make some changes to the display from year to year to spice things up.  

We'd open the Halloween Tree House the entire month of October, and the Christmas Tree House would be open from Thanksgiving Night through the 5th of January.   Of course these Tree Houses and the main house on our property would have RGB lighting as well as the basics.  And we are planning on making all those tree houses handicap friendly/accessible by having elevators installed as well.

Of course this is all just a dream at the moment, but if she gets what her Uncle says she may get, there'll be plenty of funds to do all this and more.

Only time will tell, just hope that time comes a lot sooner than later!  No neighbors, no one to complain about the sound effects or music.

Edited by Orville

No neighbors, no one to complain about the sound effects or music.

What about the woodland faeries? Don't you think THEY might be a bit aggravated? Or won't they matter any more once you've got money?

Edited by George Simmons

Dang Orv,   Buy acreage, build two displays, two tree houses and a home?    Pete's tree houses are $75,000 and up, so there's 150 grand, new house, 100 grand or so, land, another 80 grand or so. And still have money left over?    Must be some great property that is getting sold, good luck.  Hope it all works out.

New house, $100k. Acreage, $80k. That is fairyland talk right there. Where you gonna find those prices? In the swamps?

New house, $100k. Acreage, $80k. That is fairyland talk right there. Where you gonna find those prices? In the swamps?

Here in Florida you can get a nice house for 100 k,  acreage is about 10k an acre unimproved.  So yep, I stick by my prices,  sure you could spend more but you don't really need to.

Don't want to argue too much on it, but I found houses much more expensive than that.

Sure, I could find a foreclosure or shack for your prices, but in Orlando, here is an average price off zillow for a typical home on .31 acres. $240k.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1807-Hidden-Creek-Pl-Sanford-FL-32773/2102668084_zpid/

No acreage at all.

Could I find a house for 100k? Probably. But it wouldn't be a typical livable home for most.

Now, spring hill was cheaper. But Orville lives in Orlando.

I could find houses more than 100k too,  if he is looking for acreage, in the country, it's cheaper.

Orville you do know that those emails from your wife's "uncle" (a Nigerian prince) promising you his inheritance are a hoax, right?

Sorry, but her uncle lives in the next city over from us in Winter Park, FL.   My wife already got a partial of that inheritance back in the early 90's but she blew it.  She didn't listen to me at all, but hey, it was HER MONEY.  So all I could do was just make suggestions.

Now when she looks back on it she wishes she had listened to me and bought several homes and land, and used the houses for rental properties!   She got over $200,000 back then, and from what I hear she may inherit well over 1.5-2 million if the sale of this particular property goes through.  And that property is also in Florida.    So if and when it happens will sure make our lives much easier!

Unfortunately they have one old coot that continually blocks the sale that lives next to the property.   They've been fighting this person for quite some time now, may have to wait until they croak before the sale can get finalized and this person is in their mid 90's.  So they may not be around much longer.  You know how some folks are.    So only time will tell.

So yes, we'll have enough to do what we want and still have money left over, IF we stay in Florida, we're thinking of moving to Folkston Georgia when she gets her next inheritance money.  But we're still debating whether we stay in Florida or move there or maybe somewhere else in the US.

Here in Florida you can get a nice house for 100 k,  acreage is about 10k an acre unimproved.  So yep, I stick by my prices,  sure you could spend more but you don't really need to.

You're right.   You just have to know where to look to find those deals,  Sometimes you can find cheaper homes/property and sometimes you can bargain them down for even less if you have the cash to barter with and pay it all off up front.  And if we stay in Florida, that's EXACTLY what we'll be looking at, acreage in the country and the very rural unincorporated areas.

Edited by Orville

Dang Orv,   Buy acreage, build two displays, two tree houses and a home?    Pete's tree houses are $75,000 and up, so there's 150 grand, new house, 100 grand or so, land, another 80 grand or so. And still have money left over?    Must be some great property that is getting sold, good luck.  Hope it all works out.

Really starting at $75,000?   That's interesting because when we were able to watch his show, we saw him build some for much less than that, recall one was around $25-30,000 and some were between $40-$50,000.

Of course what I'm going to want I'm sure is going to cost much more than that anyway.   If my wife happens to get the projected amount, I was thinking my tree houses would be around $150,000-$200,000 each, maybe a wee bit higher.

Like said though, currently it's just a dream until the sale can be done and finalized, which could take a few more years or ???.

Unfortunately they have one old coot that continually blocks the sale that lives next to the property.   They've been fighting this person for quite some time now, may have to wait until they croak before the sale can get finalized and this person is in their mid 90's.  So they may not be around much longer.  You know how some folks are.    So only time will tell.

How is a next door neighbor blocking the sale of the property?

You're right.   You just have to know where to look to find those deals,  Sometimes you can find cheaper homes/property and sometimes you can bargain them down for even less if you have the cash to barter with and pay it all off up front.  And if we stay in Florida, that's EXACTLY what we'll be looking at, acreage in the country and the very rural unincorporated areas.

Holy crap!!  Two words I have not heard in a long time.

• The topic was locked