Light-O-Rama Forums

Glow With My Show

jstorms

Glow With The Show Ears from the Disney parks sequenced. These will be part of my 2015 show. Will have at least 15 sets of ears in the audience. Pardon that the sequence, still needs polishing, but this is for proof-of-concept.

Very nice. I have access to 20 - 30 big plastic water proof globes that were used on decorative street lighting. If I only had the pixels.

Glow With The Show Ears from the Disney parks sequenced. These will be part of my 2015 show. Will have at least 15 sets of ears in the audience. Pardon that the sequence, still needs polishing, but this is for proof-of-concept.

Very nice.  Do you have a tutorial on how you did this?  

• 2 weeks later...

Do you hand these out to people watching? Do they have to pay or something? If you did, you probably wouldn't get as many back.

Normally the way I do my display is I have neighbors and friends come out with their camp chairs and I run through about an hour's worth of songs. Several of our friends are big Disney fans and already have hats of their own. Getting the hats back shouldn't be an issue since I know where they live :)

Solution still has some gaps that need to be solved before I can post notes. I have LOR running the ears, but I don't have it where I can use the seq editor for them. For transmitter I need to get something with better range.

There are these things that go on the network and you can get powerful blasters IR for them.

There is a wifi version and one that connects with an ethernet cable.

I wonder how Disney do it. Really powerful blasters?

Also, is it possible to individually control them? One stays on a bit later than others in some parts and I can't tell whether it in intentional or just didn't receive the signal the first time. If they are individually controllable, do they have addresses?

Edit:

They definitely are individually controllable. I watched Disney's World of Color. I am pretty sure they are not individual, maybe there are four or five groups that can do different commands.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

There are these things that go on the network and you can get powerful blasters IR for them.

There is a wifi version and one that connects with an ethernet cable.

I wonder how Disney do it. Really powerful blasters?

Also, is it possible to individually control them? One stays on a bit later than others in some parts and I can't tell whether it in intentional or just didn't receive the signal the first time. If they are individually controllable, do they have addresses?

Edit:

They definitely are individually controllable. I watched Disney's World of Color. I am pretty sure they are not individual, maybe there are four or five groups that can do different commands.

I thought Disney uses RFID...

At Fantasmic, World of Color, etc, look up and you'll see these IR lights that are about 6" across either on poles or in the rigging. They are stuffed with IR emitters. According to the video made by Disney there are ~40 zones in the show area. So there are at least 40 of these IR cannons, more likely some multiple of those. They will tell the different zones to do the same effect but offset in time a little bit. Also from the video it says that each set of ears has a serial number, but I haven't seen anything coming from the ears that could be a serial number, but then again I don't know the command that might cause the hat to give it up either. 

When the ex-Disney guy came to Christmas Expo 2014 I asked if they only used IR and he said they do way more than that, but didn't elaborate. However; when you rip the ears apart you find a micro processor, two RGB LEDs, an iR receiver, and an IR emitter.

In my video the one set of ears at bottom left was a little different. Anyone that has used an IR remote knows that sometimes the signal just doesn't go through. Each command I send is sent 3 times to help prevent this and even then sometimes a set of ears will miss its cue. In order to make it as stable as possible, I'll likely use multiple IR blasters. Nice thing about this is I'll be able to do a rudimentary wave.

• Like 1

WOW! I want these... if only I could use ELLs to link them and control them.... the uses and applications... OMG! +1 for request on notes/tutorial/video...etc.

Thanks for sharing!

• The topic was locked