Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Spinner - Cosmic Color Pixels

Firstly Hey everyone, I have been lurking for a long time and finaly got around to signing up.

These forums have been very helpful as I learned (still learning) about LOR software, products, etc... Thanks to all who have posted questions and to those who answered, it helps when looking up information.

I am impressed with the helping attitude towards people asking questions and am grateful for those who share their knowledge so freely.

Ok, enough kissing up :)

After seeing some of the Pixel Spinners videos posted here it made me want to build my own. Thanks to those who shared their work. I lost count of times watching Ron Boyds videos :)

I did want to cut and solder CCR's (my skill level is not that good) So I decided to make mine using CCP's.

The Pixel Spinner is built with LOR Cosmic Color Pixels 2 - 50 LED strands, The distance between pixels is 3.5 inches and overall is 53 inches tip to tip (pixels) There are 12 arms with 8 pixels each. Those doing the math will know I had 4 pixels left over, so I just painted the extra 4 out.

I used 1/2 EMT to build the legs and zipped tied the Pixels to it. The video shows some of building techniques and the "Real" and "Row" Visualizer pictures to help others who might like to do this.

The sequence is a pattern file I created and add to as needed, no music just the sequences so I can grab then later to add to other sequences. (again props to Ron Boyd and others whos video were very inspirational and caused me to think "oh I want that")

This is one piece of the prop, the bottom half will be a 10 foot tall x 6 foot 6 inch wide (200 Pixels - 8 rows x 25 pixels per row) I'll post picture when I can.

It's not quite a mega tree but it's all i can afford right now.

Here a slideshow/video of the end result.

Alan...

• Like 2

Great work Alan.

Looks awesome.

Patterns don't look like a newbie though,

so must just be new to the forum..

Either way - good job & welcome aboard..

Welcome to the insanity Alan. :)    That video of your Pixel spinner was over the top!   Wish I had the ability to do something like that, in my younger days, perhaps, but no more building or soldering for me.

Thanks for the comments,

I finished the "tree" part of this prop and took some video today. The weather was bad today and my garage is only 12 feet tall so I joined the 2 props on their sides and took another video.

The Led part of this "tree"  of this prop is 10 foot. The CCP are spaced every 3 1/2 inches. Its construction is the same as the "star" in that the LED are mounted to EMT conduit which is mounted to a wood frame.

I didn't include music with this video (not sure about copyright stuff) but it is being sequenced to a version of  Mr Bo Jangles by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. So humm along if need be. ;)

Wow. Nice job.

I wanted to do the same thing. But I'm. Unsure how to Set it up in xlights. Using the e682.

Yup me too, I am just learning xlights and even started playing Glediator.

Great video.  I now know what I will be doing to fill a large blank space on a wall that I was trying to figure out what to do!  Even better, I have available ports on an E682 just a few feet away to drive it...

• 1 month later...

Very cool Alan! I wil need to build one or two of these.  Are you able to share the sequence programming for the spinner?

• 3 weeks later...

Alan,

I just purchased my first CCP's and this spinner is awesome. would you share the sequence? thanks in advance.

I made some changes from my original design of the Pixel Spinner and Tree. In the videos above, the supports for the CCP's were EMT (electrical tubing) The issue that bothered me was the white loom (diffuser) did not fit very well over the CCP lights and EMT, it came off to easily. It also added weight that I don't need. I install the Pixel spinner from near the top of a 10 foot ladder so less weight is better.

I changed from EMT to 1/16" cable attached with a crimp on swedge fitting on one end and a reusable/adjustable cable connector on the other. I was able to get the cable "guitar string tight".

IMG_0756a.JPG

Redesigned Pixel Spinner with 1/16" Cable and clamps

IMG_0758a.JPG

Cable swedge crimp style

IMG_0759a.JPG

Adjustable/Reusable Clamp

IMG_0765a.JPG

Part No. of the Adjustable/Reusable Clamp if anyone is interested

IMG_0763a.JPG

By using this method I was able to get the cable "guitar string tight". Note the bow on the 2x4 on the right.

IMG_0774a.JPG

All assembled outside. Total Height 16 foot from ground.

I choose to build my frames out of wood because weight and availability, mostly weight. The dimensions for the tree are such that it fits in my barn door for winter storage. The wife and I can easily carry these from the barn to setup with no problems.

I was able to set them over the weekend and get some video. I still have some lag issues and hopefully that will be fixed very soon. In the video I goofed up and hook the Pixel Spinner up wrong. Unit 14 was hooked to unit 15 and vice versa, (even though they are clearly labeled :rolleyes: ) it ended up clocking the Spinner 1 leg to the right. It drove me crazy until I took it done and saw what I did.

Anyways here's a short video of both in action (lag and all) It's only about 20 seconds of the start of Johnny B Good.

Alan...

Edited by default
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Alan.  I was going to use approx. 300 smart pixels to build a 5 channel star for the top of my CCR, but this looks much cooler and could do a whole lot more effects than what I could have done with the star.

Thanks for sharing this!  What size wire loom did you use and do you have a reasonably priced source for it? 

Jerry

Edited by Eaglesclaw

To give credit where credit is due. I saw a video of a Pixel Spinner by Ron Boyd and decided I had to do this. Here is his original thread.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/27227-my-new-prop-10-x-25-pixburst/?hl=prop

The idea for the white loom was from Brian (author of Superstar) and from his video shown here.

Opps I didn't mean to post his videohere, rather just the link. If this not OK let me know and I'll edit it out.

Here is where I got my white wire loom. I used 1". It seems like a good size I wish I could find a piece of 1 1/2" or even 2" just to test. The 1 inch looks great though. I'm not a fan of looking directly at LED's. Again this was from Brians video. As he says buy a little extra just in case. It was cheaper to buy more than I needed vs. have them cutting a  specific length. My order was processed and came quick.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/wireloom.php

Alan...

Edited by default
  • Like 1