Light-O-Rama Forums

My 2015 Mega Tree Make-over

Mega Arch

My Mega Tree, well, has not been so Mega the past few years. It's definitely the weakest link of my show. Yeah, yeah - my neighbors, my family and my friends all think my show is awesome. (And rain on everyone else...) For awhile, I even thought a 16 channel 16 strand multi-color LED mega tree was very cool. But now I know it's very weak in the mega tree arena. The past year I've known I needed a tree make-over. I just didn't know if I wanted a CCR tree, a pixel tree, an upgraded LED light strand tree, just more colors, just more strands - or exactly what. Oh me, oh my - the options - my head was spinning faster than my weak tree could..... So what to do to solve this mega of a problem? Come to the best forum for researching answers. The answers are always here. You just have to look and you will find most of them. Or post a question and - wha lah - the answers will come to you - fast.

So I've been reading posts from many, many of you. PM counseling from some of you - SPECIAL THANKS to Santas Helper, Papa6058, Lightzilla, Mike G and dgrant to name a few.... Continuous studying and analyzing... My front yard area to the street is very narrow to work with. So my tree is very close to the street. So a 20 ft high tree would be about the maximum height to not be getting sued for neck injuries. Also, being that close to the viewing area limits the dazzling effects of a CCR style show. So I'm now ready to move forward.... I have decided I want to go with C-6 LEDs for a 4 color super-strand style set-up; RWB-G. (Coloring order in honor of you great people who served our country to give me the freedom to be working on this mega project...) I started with a 16 channel tree, so I think adding to that setup would be easiest sequencing with some of the songs I want to reuse. However, Lightzilla has pointed out to me the many options the 12 channel trees can bring. We agreed - both setups can really rock a mega tree. So I still need to decide 64 channel or 48 channel? The decision has to be made before the CDI and HLE pre-sales are over.

I know, this post is getting long, but for those of you still reading, here's what I need to help finalize: Do any of you have a visualizer file and a few sequences you could share? I would like both 48 and 64 channel versions. My final decision will be made after George Simmons' Sequence U class is under my belt. Which by the way George, I'm very excited to be attending....
Thanks to all in advance for any sharing or additional thoughts you might have.
- Daniel
dcdpkpr@cox.net

He's one showing my current weak tree:
Thanks again to Mateo for sharing this sequence to get it started...

• Like 1

I think it looked fine but I think you might want to go higher and bring the base in.  that has sorta been my issue.  This year if I stay LED strands I am bring the base in 2ft.  I am using 32 strands on 16 channels which makes it look fuller (instead of spinning each strand on the mega, when I fire off one channel I am actually lighting up two strands which makes it look fuller).  In your case I would look at going up 3-5 ft with the same strands (set it up and test it one night).  Also reconfig the lights to be 1-Red 2-White 3-Blue 4-Green and then repeat in groups of four on the controller.  Next up using SPT-1 Connect Strand 1,2,3,4 of blue to channel 1, then 1,2,3,4 White to channel 2 and so on.  you will be amazed at the difference without any money spent.

I think it looked fine.....

Chet, thanks for the kind words. But my tree is puny.

...I think you might want to go higher and bring the base in...

Yeah - definitely going up a few feet. Using the altoonalights tree calculator helped determine my tree was a reflection of myself (short and fat..)

http://www.altoonalights.com/mega/mega_calc.php

....I am using 32 strands on 16 channels which makes it look fuller (instead of spinning each strand on the mega, when I fire off one channel I am actually lighting up two strands which makes it look fuller).  In your case I would look at going up 3-5 ft with the same strands (set it up and test it one night).  Also reconfig the lights to be 1-Red 2-White 3-Blue 4-Green and then repeat in groups of four on the controller.  Next up using SPT-1 Connect Strand 1,2,3,4 of blue to channel 1, then 1,2,3,4 White to channel 2 and so on.  you will be amazed at the difference without any money spent.

I looked at your tree and you are correct. The color effects you achieved with a few channels is amazing. I'm hoping oil gets back to $60+ a barrel before the pre-sales are over. If it doesn't, I may need to call on you for further explanations and short cut tips...

Thanks

One HUGE money-saving shortcut - whether or not the price of oil goes up - would be to go with a single-color 16 channel spiral tree instead. 

I don't believe there's a bigger value in this entire hobby, if you're comparing the wow factor to the cost.  Nor do you need to suffer any of the angst of having (or NOT having) the tallest tree in town/county/state.  A ten foot tall spiral tree will out wow any mega tree you have the space for.

See you next Sunday evening.

Edited by George Simmons

btw, I am the king of short a fat or as I call it fluffy!  I never mastered the spiral tree so I stand in awe of those that have.

• Like 1

One HUGE money-saving shortcut - whether or not the price of oil goes up - would be to go with a single-color 16 channel spiral tree. 

I don't believe there's a bigger value in this entire hobby, if you're comparing the wow factor to the cost.  Nor do you need to suffer any of the angst of having (or NOT having) the tallest tree in town/count/state.  A ten foot tall spiral tree will out wow any mega tree you have the space for.

I'm planning a 9ft spiral tree as well. I know your sign-up says beginner and intermediate, but will you by chance be covering sequencing spiral trees in upcoming Sequence U classes?

• Like 1

Yes, it's a little harder to put together than a straight-line mega tree.  But from a sequencing perspective it's no harder (or much different) than a mega tree.  You just get so much more reward for your efforts.

EDIT: Yes, somewhere we'll be covering (and practicing) how to sequence a number of different display elements.  I'm not sure there will be time for it next Sunday, though.  Lots to go through before we get that far.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

Yes, it's a little harder to put together than a straight-line mega tree.  But from a sequencing perspective it's no harder (or much different) than a mega tree.  You just get so much more reward for your efforts.

I was thinking I might use my existing 16 tree channels for the new spirals.

Then add 48 or 64 channels for the 4 color mega tree as new.

Either way, I can't seem to get more than 32 channels to work in the visualizer...

Either way, I can't seem to get more than 32 channels to work in the visualizer...

Sounds like you're trying to use individual fixtures for each string of lights. Instead, use bundles with multiple colors in each bundle.

(PS - At Sequence U we'll also be including working with the Visualizer for those who want it.)

Listen to George on the programming of the spiral trees, they are about the same as the regular mega trees. I have 2 - 10'  16 channel spirals trees and a 14'  64 channel spiral tree in my display. I have been doing the spiral trees now for 4 years and I think it's the best bang for the buck. My videos can be seen here

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34997-2014-talley-spiral-tree-sequences/

• Like 2

Sounds like you're trying to use individual fixtures for each string of lights. Instead, use bundles with multiple colors in each bundle....

That was it. Will take me a while, but yes that's it. Thanks..

Now I'm back to deciding on 12 channel x 4 color or 16 x 4.

Don't want to build the visualizer prop and then change my mind - again...

Listen to George on the programming of the spiral trees, they are about the same as the regular mega trees....I think it's the best bang for the buck....]

I agree. I plan to add a smaller spiral tree as well - or 2 that are electrically reversed.

And will listen to George 2 hours+ during Sequence U.... :P :P

.... I have 2 - 10'  16 channel spirals trees and a 14'  64 channel spiral tree in my display. I have been doing the spiral trees now for 4 years and I think it's the best bang for the buck. My videos can be seen here

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34997-2014-talley-spiral-tree-sequences/

I have watched your shows before - love your work...

Listen to George on the programming of the spiral trees, they are about the same as the regular mega trees....I think it's the best bang for the buck....]

I agree. I plan to add a smaller spiral tree as well - or 2 that are electrically reversed.

And will listen to George 2 hours+ during Sequence U.... :P :P...

I was in George's class last week and will be in the one next Sunday as well. Looking forward to it next week

I was in George's class last week and will be in the one next Sunday as well. Looking forward to it next week

Other than my pc, do I need anything for his class?

Can't wait.....

Nope, just need to download the files that will be linked in the email he sends you. And then click on the teamviewer link that is in the email. It did take me about 10 minutes to get onto the viewer after clicking the link

I usually open the meeting link fifteen minutes or so prior to the posted start time to make sure everyone has time to get all set up and settled in before the bell rings. The emails with the links for next weekend's two sessions will go out on Wed or Thur.

I usually open the meeting link fifteen minutes or so prior to the posted start time to make sure everyone has time to get all set up and settled in before the bell rings. The emails with the links for next weekend's two sessions will go out on Wed or Thur.

Thanks for the heads up.

Even though this is my 4th LOR season, I only have a limited knowledge on sequencing. Most are like the one at the top of this post - started by someone else and then modified by myself. I am really glad you are offering this online class. I really enjoy your spot-on timings and creativity in your shows. Can't wait to see and learn from your insight.

Thanks Daniel for the kind words.

Over the years, I've encountered an awful lot of people who really want to do their own sequencing but don't think they have the knowledge or the skills. To be sure, some don't. (For a personal example: if someone sticks an artist's paint brush in my hands, maybe I can do a stick figure but don't wait around for it or expect it to look like something you might recognize.)

In reality though, sometimes it's just one or two software tricks that stand in someone's way from doing what they want in a fraction of the time they're spending now. Or finding an incredibly simple way to turn their vision into reality. Or just being able to take a step back from one's own display to see a bigger picture that can be put together in ways not before considered.

That's why Sequence U exists. For those folks. And for anyone looking to improve their knowledge, even if it's just something as simple as learning how to nail timings. With apologies to Nipsey Russell, if they can make penicillin out of moldy cheese, we can make something out of you.

Listen to George on the programming of the spiral trees, they are about the same as the regular mega trees. I have 2 - 10'  16 channel spirals trees and a 14'  64 channel spiral tree in my display. I have been doing the spiral trees now for 4 years and I think it's the best bang for the buck. My videos can be seen here

I agree with Earle,  One look at his videos and you know what a spiral tree should look like.  Earle has perfected the spirals.

• 3 months later...

Last year 2014 was my first year with LOR. I started with my first year and a (16 Channel) spirial tree..

I just read different forums and tried it myself... sequencing wasnt really hard to do.. Just had to remember to try to keep things spaced basically even as much as possible.. Some I spent more time on them others. 

Mine can bee seen at     https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rQS92LcPWUXsSF1WR3hkw  

as I say it was my first year using LOR etc. aldo all my sequences can be downloaded at 

share.northjerseylights.com/for_chuck/  Thank you North Jersey lights for sponsoring my downloads for shaing.

I plan on making my tree taller this year and adding more lights to it. the one in the video is a string of 200 lights in half and going from top to the bottom they make 1 round on the tree starting at the top which is about 6 inch dia ring to the bottom which is about 41/2 ft dia. my light strand in half makes about 1 round on it top to bottom..

I never did measure to get the exact measurements of the PVC frame I made just kinda put lights on as I worked on it and made it to fit that way.