Light-O-Rama Forums

E682 Won't Connect to Gigabit Ethernet

dragonzpneuma

I recently built an E682 E1.31 card and am now in the testing phase.  All standalone tests work fine with the card, but when I connect it to the Ethernet port, I can't get the system to recognize it.  I know the E682 has to have a 100mb Ethernet connection, but my built in card is a Qualcomm Atheros Gigabit Ethernet card, which I'm thinking may be too advanced for the E682.  Has anyone heard of this problem or experienced it themselves, and if so, is there a workaround?  Thanks for your time.

Keith

Correct that the E682 ethernet module does not support 1 Gb/sec.  That should only be an issue if your gigabit capable card is forced to 1Gb/sec only.  Either set it to auto, or force it to 100Mb/sec and you should be good.  If you need help doing this (if it's Windows), I can help.

• Like 1

The output port from your computer to the switch, needs to be in the same realm as the E682's IP address. Now I don't yet own a E682, but whatever its IP address is that you're attempting to communicate with, the computer's IP address on that port, needs to be nearly the same, just not the last number in the address. Example would be the JoshuaSystems P12S card, its address is 10.10.10.10 so my port on the computer(I have two) the one feeding the switch which feeds the P12S card, is set to 10.10.10.50. Then open the IE and enter http://10.10.10.10 and it finds it every time. Not sure this is the issue for you or not but its something to consider

If you are plugging directly together, even though more and more hardware is auto crossover capable, you may need to be sure you are using a crossover cable.

A proper crossover cable is simply crossing pins 1 and 2, correct???

Edited by dragonzpneuma

For the purpose of this discussion, you do not need a crossover cable.  The eithernet module on the SanDevices boards has Auto crossover, and it is highly likely that your computer does as well.  With that said, for ethernet your description is not correct for a crossover cable.  For our purposes, pin 1 goes to pin 3, and pin 2 goes to pin 6. Pins 4, 5, 7, & 8 are straight through.  If you think in cable pairs, pairs 2 and 3 are crossed (but you have to know what actually constitutes pairs 2 & 3).  Note that this will work for 10Base-T and 100Base-T, but is NOT correct for 1000Base-T (Gigabit).  That requires a few more wires crossed.  Check out the link below...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Just to close this thread, wanted to say that I was able to get the E682 to connect to my network.  Set the Gigabit card to 100mb and did an IP address override to get the E682 matched to my network IP range.  Now I get to play LOL!!!!  Thanks for all the advice.

Keith