Light-O-Rama Forums

1602 and ELL Question

dgrant

I've got two 1602's, older ones. They have the capability to download an animation sequence into one and it will transmit the commands, up to 5,000, to others on the same network. Question, can I connect an ELL to its output and transmit to another ELL connected to the other 1602? The requirement is to control lights on the opposite side of a street.

I don't have that setup but the ELLs are supposed to be "wire replacers".  So if it will normally connect from one to the other via Cat5 then the ELL should do the trick.

I know I'll pull them into the house from the garage and test this possibility. The association here has asked me to do the lights at the entrance for next season but its two sides of the street. There is a pass-through under the street but I don't know if I can get a Cat5 through it without damaging it so the first thought was the ELL's but getting a 1602 to talk to a ELL...

The ELL will transmit the LOR protocol just fine.  My only question was what does your 1602 output.  If it connects to the next in line via CAT5 with the LOR protocol, then you are golden.. it will work.

Hey DGrant, I learned from Chuck Smith at an LOR jumpstart class that the ELL's are effected by anything that omits or absorbs RF (I think). He said this includes the human body. So if the setup you will be doing will have foot traffic or worse cars going between you may want to mount the ELL's at least 6 feet in the air and as close to line of sight as possible. He suggested a height of 6' but you may want to try 8' to make sure you will not have body/vehicle interference. :)

If this is redundant to what LOR told you in their confirmation please disregard.

Later,

Al

Thank You for that. So far, its just a possibility of using them. I could also just run the two with their own individual animation sequences too. The next issue would be securing them so they don't grow legs and vanish....chain them to a tree or similar

Just FYI dgrant,  I use ELLs for my LOR network.  I have one that runs my big trees and it is actually behind the trees relative to my location but between them, If that makes sense... anyway, when I am testing I am at about 3' off the ground with my transmitting ELL and at about 80'-100' away, it has no issues working every time.   Even when I am walking around between the two.  Bodies, trees and anything that can absorb RF can be at issue, but these things are pretty good.  The worst thing I think you can do is mount it on or next to a tree.  Other than that, no metal cages or such and you should be pretty golden

Thanks. This was/is a case of using a 1602 controller that can store and run an animation sequence AND it can command other boxes on its own network. Therefore no computer or director unit attached. Then asked if I can connect it to an ELL and transmit across the street to another controller. Apparently I can do this so now its just trying to figure out what I wish to do and of course how to make it look like.

As stated line of site & high is a key.  I had one on the edge of my house just out of line of sight (within inches) and it wouldn't work.  However I could go to my basement and that ELL would run everything.  Other side of house - no windows.  Great for testing, but I doubt it would be reliable all season.

If I do this with the ELL's then it'll be line of sight. Probably have them up high in a tree, strapped to the trunk. Since there won't be any music, leaves me thinking it would just be simple fades, twinkles and etc...There's some gas-lamp poles that I could sequence in series or fade them in series. The limit would be the 5000 commands total. Not sure how much that would be so will have to test and see what I get here during the year before actually setting it up.

As stated line of site & high is a key.  I had one on the edge of my house just out of line of sight (within inches) and it wouldn't work.  However I could go to my basement and that ELL would run everything.  Other side of house - no windows.  Great for testing, but I doubt it would be reliable all season.

What do you mean you doubt it would be reliable all season?  Do you mean from the basement location or the ELLs in general?  

If I do this with the ELL's then it'll be line of sight. Probably have them up high in a tree, strapped to the trunk. Since there won't be any music, leaves me thinking it would just be simple fades, twinkles and etc...There's some gas-lamp poles that I could sequence in series or fade them in series. The limit would be the 5000 commands total. Not sure how much that would be so will have to test and see what I get here during the year before actually setting it up.

Strapping them to a tree may be their undoing.  Trees and RF are not friends.  Might work.. but test it of course.   Leave them at 56k baud also.  That helps with transmission distance and reliability it seems. 

I'll remember that too, Thanks. I have to insure they don't get ripped off somehow which tying to a tree up high would be one way of "hoping" they remained there.

Edited by dgrant

I use several ELLs and the one on my lawn that is closest to the public is hidden in my mega tree.  I bold it to the same stand the controller is on and that puts it about 30" above the lawn. Hidden might work better for you.. In any case.. just try different places.. you will find one that works for your setup.

BTW, I have two of them that are less than 12" off the ground.. still work just fine. 

I use several in my house system as well with no issues at all. This is for a community entrance area with a street between so there'll be controllers on both sides of the street. Power is already available on both sides fortunately so now its just a matter of securing the controllers and ELL's so they don't grow legs when unattended all the time.

What do you mean you doubt it would be reliable all season?  Do you mean from the basement location or the ELLs in general?  

I'm only speaking of the basement ELL.  I use 5 ELLs in my show with very few issues.  I have 1 in my basement "command center" I use, but just for testing..

• 10 months later...

Putting the ELL's on trees really isn't an issue so long as they have uninterrupted line of sight between them.  

Just don't go adding CCR's or CCB's with an ELL configuration because those will quickly start to eat up your 56K bandwidth.  If you do want to use RGB stuff, put that on a different network from the ELL's.

Also, if you're using ELL's it's a good idea to optimize your sequences by removing unused channels and surplus timings from each sequence.  That reduces the amount of data that has to be transmitted, which in turn leads to smoother performance in the show.