Light-O-Rama Forums

Cordsets: DIY or buy from LOR?

lowepg

I'm acquiring some CTB16PC boards for the first time (in the past, Ive always bought full kits or completed units).

I'm wondering what some of the veteran DIY'ers are doing for the cord sets.

Buying off-the-shelf 16-bundles of cords or SPT-2 DIYs?

(Note, the first project I have in mind is 3 CTB16's built into a large enclosure to run a 48-channel LED megatree).

Im not trying to be a cheapskate, but buying 3 sets of LOR cords is nearly the same cost as a new board! :-)

Thanks.

Making the leads reach the location of the lights MIGHT be a litle tricky since I reuse many of my controllers for Halloween AND Xmas and the displays are radically different.

However, for the megatree, perhaps I *could* setup that set of 3 separately.

Along the same lines, has anyone had luck putting 2 controllers in the same enclosure?

i have 2 controllers in one inclosure. not a problem. I use a 5 gallon paint bucket painted black under my mega tree with 2 boards mounted in it with cheap extension cords for dongles used it 3 seasons now no problems. since the lid seals tight no water on the inside.

Edited by MCas4380

Another idea for dongles (if you're needing more than one receptacle) is to use cheap 6' (or longer) extension cords and cut off the plug end.

• Like 1

i have 2 controllers in one inclosure. not a problem. I use a 5 gallon paint bucket painted black under my mega tree with 2 boards mounted in it with cheap extension cords for dongles used it 3 seasons now no problems. since the lid seals tight no water on the inside.
Cool.I actually need to get THREE into an enclosure for my 3 color megatree (if possible). If not, I guess I can just put them in 3 LOR enclosures if need be...
Another idea for dongles (if you're needing more than one receptacle) is to use cheap 6' (or longer) extension cords and cut off the plug end.
That's a good idea.... I wouldn't think that would be cheaper than making standard ends with my bulk spt-2, but in cases when I then have to put a splitter at the end- that idea might work better!

Along the same lines, has anyone had luck putting 2 controllers in the same enclosure?

Do you need any picture of two controllers in an enclosure?

I have two enclosure set up that way.

I can take some pictures of mine if you need them.

Thomas

Edited by TGabriel

Cool. I actually need to get THREE into an enclosure for my 3 color megatree (if possible). If not, I guess I can just put them in 3 LOR enclosures if need be...

That's a good idea.... I wouldn't think that would be cheaper than making standard ends with my bulk spt-2, but in cases when I then have to put a splitter at the end- that idea might work better!

I use the extension cords that have 3 females slots at the end.  I got my 6ft & 9ft cords from Walmart when they cleared them out. You can get extension cords for $2.00. 

I live in Florida and to keep critters out of my boxes i use rubber grommets and run these round cords thru them. They have a ground wire which is a waste of time, but oh well. Of course, i bought mine about 3 years ago in quantities of 50 to get the discount, they are more expensive now. :(

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022802&p_id=5297&seq=1&format=2

• 3 weeks later...

Am I missing something here, cordset is 16 cords lor price is $30 Walmart price was $2 = $32 mono price was $1.50 = 24 plus your labor ?

Am I missing something here, cordset is 16 cords lor price is $30 Walmart price was $2 = $32 mono price was $1.50 = 24 plus your labor ?

yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

The ONLY advantage I could see to using commercial extension cords is if you find some with the multiple connectors at the end and/or ones longer than the stubby dongles.

Otherwise, the only two logical options I see are:

LOR sets, or

SPT-homemade ones

If I'm missing some other advantage, please share- I actually have 3 controllers I need to add cables for this off-season

For pure dollars and cents, SPT 1 and vampire receptacles are the way to go. (Note: I run practically 98% LEDs so there's zero chance I'd ever come close to approaching any SPT1 load limits.) If you need more than one receptacle on a channel, add as many inline receptacles as you need.

I understand where you are coming from but for me saving $25.00 on shipping to Alberta a few years back, plus the 16 extension cords I would of needed to buy well those 2 dollar cords were long enough to reach the display items that the controller went to.  However I shouldn't had posted here because they weren't used on a CTB16PC they were used on the controllers with the screw terminals. 

Well for example say a mega tree or spiral tree, You can buy the $30 cord set plus shipping, and then use other extension cords to reach your lights, or use spt and make one cord that will reach where you need it, neater appearance, easy setup. Not sure where the confusion is myself. Also cheaper lol

Edited by 1983ss454

I used my spare LOR board (My spare is just the board with no case or plugs) this year and made my cables from spt and vampire plugs.

I had a few elements that needed 3 prong receptacles. So I had to use the converter plugs.

I read that the dollar store sells extension cords for a buck each...so that would be cheaper than the LOR plugs....but the LOR plugs would be my first choice.

Also, LOR fuses are cheaper than I could find at Home Depot. So don't forget to get your spare fuses this year!!!