Light-O-Rama Forums

Rude People

jkosek

Does anyone else get rude people? I have to restrict my show hours and clearly post them in many places. Yet I get rude people demanding to turn things on right at dusk. Usually I have things going early and late as well and I still get rude people and even people honking. It's like certain people feel entitled to something we do with no personal gain (except for spreading Christmas spirit and making people happy). I don't let them get to me, but I can't help but wonder what these people are thinking? Get your Christmas spirit and quit being a jerk as you're watching a free show!

I've had people blocking the display for others, parking in front of the house, and wanting the lights on early/late. Don't know what gets into people, but sadly it does happen to a lot of us.

I have to deal with all kinds of people and have as a personal outlook that..."People are morons, until proven otherwise".  Works for me  :lol:

Tom Straub

• Like 4

It happens here every year. Between wanting the lights on early & late, stopping 3 across in front of the house completely blocking my dead-end street, standing in the middle of my yard, breaking display items ( as explained in a note in my donation box that her child didn't know that he shouldn't lean on my plastic candy canes!) to parents just turning there kids loose letting them run all across the the display & play. I've seen kids on my front porch while the parents are across the street. Others drive WAY too fast when there's people all over the place. Someone is going to get run over one of these days. What drives me crazy are the ones who roll down there windows get out of there vehicle, standing about 100' from there car & have the radio so loud that I can hear it from the back of my house.

Now that being said I'm glad there in the minority. Most are respectful & appreciate what we do. If the bad ones become the majority I'll probably quit.

Edited by Darryl Lambert

We live in different times now.......it's all about entitlement, all about me attitude. Some of those rude people could also be just so excited to see the lights, but they don't know how to express it with out being rude. Good manners are not taught at home anymore.

Our society values being entertained above anything else. Take a poll and show a picture of Beyonce, and one of Joe Biden. I bet everyone would know who Beyonce is but many would have difficulty identifying our vice president. That is the priority for most people, and they don't think of anyone else. They want instant gratification.

Think about how sad it is to go to a movie and they have to remind people several times to turn their phones off. That used to be common sense, but even after that some person who thinks their entitled will be on their phone. I call it "the rules apply to everyone else except me syndrome".

Turn your lights on when You want to, not when some else wants or expects you to. If they continue with the honking, go out there and politely say "remember the manners your mom taught you, you're at some one eles house". Don't make them feel stupid, but a gentle and firm reminder might make them feel different.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 3

Eric - you missed one important consideration. 

If their mom had taught them manners in the first place there would be no need for that curbside admonishment.

• Like 1

Eric... You my man, have hit the nail on the head so hard.... I heard it hit all the way up here in Canada!!

Cheers, and "to all... Keep your head up, natural selection DOES work, just give it a bit........"

Greg

I only get a few intentionally rude people.. most others are rude because they just don't have any awareness that they are not the only ones on the planet.. just makes em seems rude.. that's all..

Eric is right, and plasma, you've hit it on the head as well. I'm afraid more people than not are so wrapped up in their own little world, they have no idea that their actions have negative repurcussions. I work in theater for a living, and the guest situations we deal with in a live theatrical environment on a daily basis would blow your mind. Case in point, I just had an actress come to our house manager because there were some audience members being very distracting in the audience...to the point that other patrons were getting visibly upset. Sometimes it's hard to remember the people who are well behaved and enjoy your show without causing any problems, but they're the people we have to focus on!

Well I'm glad that people like you guys are putting up these lights, and creating shows to make other people happy. I'm sure there have been plenty of children and adults a like viewing your shows with astonishment. Well you encounter a rude person keep in mind the dozens of kids that were probably bugging their parents to visit " the house with the dancing lights to music."

This was my first year and so I have a small display. On Christmas Eve my brother and his girlfriend came over and were amazed that the lights go to the music, and you could hear the music on the radio. He was so interested in how I did it. I told him I belong to a secret Christmas light club and we can't give away our trade secrets. He wanted to know how much I had to pay to get a radio station to play my music!

Eric.. LMAO ! (Radio station to play your music...)

Quite a while ago, (When I was in a show band) we had a nightclub ( Holiday Inn, Winnipeg) where we had a heckle section right down front of the stage, that simply would NOT relent.

Our then keyboard player told me (I was the sound & light engineer) to pin spot him and boost his microphone volume during the interlude after the first song of the next set......

He : " Ladies and gentlemen, do you suffer from that constant itch of hemorrhoids... (Long silent pause, crowd is dumbfounded about his dialog) there is an entire table of a$% holes in the front row, just pick yourself out a new one on the way out....."

We received a standing ovation from the rest of the crowd, with about a 2 or 3 minute LOUD applause as well.....

Yes, son there IS a Santa Claus.........

Greg

• Like 1

I've seen the rude people here too in some cases. Those who were parking in front regardless of others views being blocked. I guess they figured if they had to wait 30 minutes in line to see it, they were going to "see it" no matter who else was impacted. Yes, some stopped in the middle of the street and blocked the street and there's one guy in the neighborhood who loves to blast through at warp speed. I've not figured out who he is yet but there is a way around, so its not needed. To be fair though, for the most part the people here are respectful. Its just the few who spoil it for everyone else.

I had a lady get real snippy with my wife because it was dusk and the show wasn't going. After all, she informed her that she had 3 kids in the car and family plans. I loved my wife's response. "Sorry lady, I don't know how to turn all this on and he's not home from work. He's busy working so he can pay for the free show you're complaining about". Golf clap...

I agree, you hit the nail on the head. It's all about me, me and me these days.

• Like 1

The worst of it comes for me.

I was fixing up some of our lawn decorations (we had 30-45 mph gusts blowing them over), and a neighborhood mother was walking with five or six children and said, "Did you hear us the first night? We were out hear applauding and the children loved it..." to which I gratefully replied, "Thank you... it was only our first year (and the first time this magic has appeared in my community)... next year it will actually look good." [Joking about the how basic our current design is] She retorts back, "Yeah? (pointing at her niece) Well... she was at this other girl's house (which I assume was in the community too) and you could wave your hand in front of the whole display and it would do this thing from Frozen and then do the "Let it Go" song." It just irks me when people suggest that my display is inferior when I mention that it was only our first time doing it (ever - even for the community).

Oh well... can't blow everyone away. Might as well let it go....

Don't let that bother you. Each of our homes is a "work of art" as such. Each of us is the artist and we're doing what we see in our minds. There's now three of us in this area. One new family just two blocks away who is just starting out! The other one, long known here and has a mile of cars each night lined up and waiting to see his. He's got a huge home, on a hilltop, mansion type and its really nice. Now he doesn't do "Frozen" as far as I'm aware of but when people heard I was doing two songs from Frozen, they came from far away to see mine. Many people said they thought mine was better than this other person's but frankly, the only reason was the pixel tree I added this year and the animation on it from holidaysequences.com. Most people haven't seen anything like that before so the word went out. The new guy here, the long time person close by, good people. Met them both and for me, its not a competition in the slightest.

This was the SECOND year I almost had two drivers get into a fight while parked in front of my house due to one parking right in front of the house.  I'm afraid that if I put cones out that they would just start parking further out into the street.  (shaking head) People!

People love to back up at high rates of speed when they see my house.  Right in the road, right in front of other cars.  Happens 1-5 times per night when the display is running.  They're driving by, the display hits an "All On" section and they slam on the breaks and back up about 50-75 feet about as fast as they were going forward to grab a picture, or just to watch.  I can't do anything about it.  I can't fix stupid.  I mean WHO DOES THAT?  (Obviously a lot of people in my town) BUT STILL?????

I will admit, I've worked a lot on my sequences and have learned that often some of the biggest impact moments of the display is when the music changes dramatically and you hit a big beat and the display goes from a second or two of dark to 32,000 lights on all at once.  Like in the Dub Step Carol of the bells, when the intro builds and builds then squeeky voices says "Merry Christmas."  BOOM I hit them with an All on!  Love that.

I live one the dead end section of a 3 way stop/intersection. people park across the street, lined up and have front row viewing. Until that one SUV parks in front of the house (red zone). I honestly don't think they realize there are a bunch of cars behind them watching with there lights off. 

now one night, long after show had ended, my daughter came home from a date and was taking an awful long time saying good night while standing in the dark of the driveway.WHAAMMM! hit 'um with all white shimmering lights until she came in a minute later shaking her head. LOL Guess I was the rude one that night!

• Like 4

I'll have to remember that one for when my daughter starts dating.  At least that's a few years away yet!