Light-O-Rama Forums

Donation Box

joefrick

OK.  With the amount of traffic we have been getting over the last two years; 500 plus cars a night, it is about time to put out a donation box next year.  I was even thinking of setting up a DVR camera with audio so that those that donate could leave a video message as well.  What does the community think?  I would also like to see some pics of your donation boxes.

Edited by joefrick

Mine is an ugly black box by the road. It has a lit white coro sign with the school name on it.

The trick that I used was this:

I used to build / refurbish arcade games, so my box is built so the money and change dropped in the front fall into an arcade game coin tray.

Then I go out at night and open the Ms. Pacman coin door on the rear and retrieve the coin tray.

My thought was that I didn't want to leave the money out all night, and I didn't want to pick out loose change.

The box itself resembles a US Mail drop box.

I have a lit snoopy sitting under it guarding.

Mine is the Secure Logic Mail Vault

It also doubles as my daily mailbox.

http://www.steelmailbox.com/html/secure_mail_vault.html

You can also find them on eBay.

I put lights on it during the show, so people can find it.

I also added glow-in-the-dark tape to the mail slot door

IF you plan on using it for both mail and donations, be sure to clear it with your mail carrier first.

But mine thought it was a great idea.

I modified a C-fold towel dispenser ....the kind you see in public or workplace bathrooms....I placed an LED puck light inside so the slot is illuminated from within. I also attached a wireless door bell sensor so that a bell rings in my house when a donation is placed in the box. Every time the bell rings an angel is getting their wings.....

Visit kevinkolak.com and select PRESS, then select the ABC 27 video and then of course click on the video. Videos on my website shows the donation box and lighted sign.

We just have a notice telling people to post any donations to charity through the letter box. We also have a website where people can donate on line. Doing the lights for a local charity helps with the donations.

Ps in the uk we have a letter box in the door. Basically just a flap you put the post through. Website link is below which is also great as people leave kind messages

https://www.justgiving.com/jancis-shepherd2

Here's what I'm using.  Has a couple of issues though.  1st during observations of those walking up to put money into the cane.  They can't seem to locate the slot.  I even have a flashing strobe light inside that blinks 100% of the time.  I've even found money in my mailbox on more than one occasion.  So I plan on putting some kinda of signage that says "Insert Money Here".  Possibly a chute also.  That way people won't have to get out of their cars.  Worried about people hiting it though.  It's bolted to my mailbox 4x4 post.  I can picture the whold thing on the ground.  2nd problem is that of loose change.  So I take a pizza box out with me for which there is just enough clearence between the bottom of the cane and the ground.  That way when I pull the locking plug out of the bottom, I don't have to pick up all of the loose change.  Outside of that, it's the third year and it works pretty good.

post-3246-0-69426000-1419638600_thumb.jp

Edited by Dave Pursel

I used a 4X4 pole with a flat mailbox, with an "InfoBlox" holder above it for the cause we are sponsoring, along with a lighted sign in front of it.  The Post itself is bolted to a steel post holder which goes 4' in the ground.  I have a board screwed into the post, and then the box scred into that.  The box screws are inside the box.  The only way to get it would be to rip it off... We emptied it every night.  No issues with anyone trying to steal it...  

I am thinking of adding a "slot machine" for next year. "Winners" receive candy canes... :-) 

As I collect larger items such as bags of dog food I had to create a larger box. As my space is limited during the dark season I wanted something that would stow easily and not take up much space. I built 4 wall using treated 2x4 and then built a base using 3/4 " plywood and 2x4. I cut holes for the legs to slide into and installed latches on all 4 top corners of the box to hold it together. I have enough space for 4 of the reusable grocery crates to sit next to each other allowing easy retrieveable donations, bills and change. I then made an SPCA sign with mini lights in coro board so I can flash it during the show and draw attention to it. Next year I plan to build a separate box for $$$ donations.

• The topic was locked