Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinking about getting started, maybe a show for 2015

Gregs1213

Hello Everyone!  I'll start off with some of my background.  I have done lighting for some small night clubs and other events, I have some moving heads, scanners, led tubes, pars, dmx boards, dmx software and some of that type of equipment already.  I love lighting and was thinking about doing a light show for Christmas 2015.  I was looking into maybe doing a 16 or 32 channel show.  This was the unit I was looking to buy:  http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=3&Product=49

Some Questions:

How difficult it would be to integrate some of my lighting (probably pars) using DMX into a show?    

Can the Light-O-Rama Residential Kit control RGB values?  (It looks like it's mostly like a relay pack to turn on or off or dim the lights)

Is there a best time/place to buy lights? (I was thinking of raiding target on Dec. 26)

What is the difference better twinkle and shimmer? How does it work?  I'm assuming that ramp up and down is the same as a fade..

Also, I'm open on suggestions on what the must-haves are. I noticed the spiral Christmas trees are very popular, but I don't much storage space, so I'd probably use mostly lights on my roof and trees outside.

Hi and welcome.  Nice to hear from some one else in a similar situation.  I to am thinking of a display for next year.  I have experience in DMX lighting both from church and theatrical settings.  In many ways I would love to stay DMX as it is what I know, but something tells me it will be much easier using equipment and software more optimized for the holiday decorating.

Although I am still very limited in my knowledge of LOR software and hardware, I have been playing around with the demo version of the software.  I can tell you that the difference between shimmer and twinkle is that when a group channels are selected as twinkle, the different channels will randomly turn on and off at different times.  In shimmer mode, all the selected channels will turn on and off at the same time.

I think that you will find a wealth of info in this forum.  Also trying putting Light O Rama into youtube.  Some very good video's will come up.

A warm welcome to both of you! I'm very much a newbie myself being this is my 3rd year of running a show so my knowledge level isn't what it should be yet. The only DMX I have is the E1.31 protocol which is DMX over TCPIP. The LOR controllers are capable of using DMX commands but how that works, I do not know. The best time to buy lights is the after christmas sales. The best advice, you've already given yourself!!! Starting now, to plan a show for next season. I suggest starting with a plan. Take a picture of your house, print out multiple copies, then start drawing strings, fixtures/props, trees and so on, on them and how you wish to control them. This will dictate your hardware requirements. Starting out with 16-32 AC channels is probably a very good idea. Also, there's a large interest in RGB illumination which involve both smart and dumb type LED strips/pixels/nodes. So if you are considering those, get into it now. I suspect that huge changes will be coming to LOR shortly involving RGB since the community is showing great interest in RGB.

If you have any experience with DMX in Theater Equipment, you will not have much trouble integrating it into this Hobby.

What you will find, though is that the Software (at least the lower cost software) does not have the advanced feature set

you may be used to.  However, with a little research and work you can combine several of the packages, like LOR, nutcracker, Xlights.

and create a very good show. 

Tim

Thanks so much for the info.  I already have an Enttec USB Pro, and I've seen them mentioned on the forum about using them with DMX.  I'm just trying to figure how the chain of devices would look like.  I'm looking to purchase the LOR CTB16PC unit.. 

Also, do the LED Christmas strings fade nicely?  I'm assuming the until just raises and lowers the voltage for fade in/out.  I know LED's sometimes  have issues with that...

Edited by Gregs1213

I always get the card assembled kit. its about 50 bucks cheaper ,and all you do is install the cords and strain relief. as far as dmx lor works  well as long as your not sending a lot of information ie a lot of pixels.

Guess I should have looked at this yesterday.. I bought a bunch of Phillip LED lights at Target today, and I'm retthinking my decision. 

I purchased close to 4,000 Phillips LEDs for this years show , and i am not disappointed at all.  Very good dim rate.    I even got them at a great price buy 2 get 1 free plus a 10.00 gift card for every 50.00 purchased.