Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR IDMX Vs. Entec or other outboards

shredocaaster

Hello There

Having issues with a new sequence I have programmed and I THINK it may be because I'm driving my DMX to the limits.

I'm running 12 CCRS off a 500k adapter on one network, 7 CCRs and 36 LOR boxes off another 500k network and a third network is 120 dmx channels with a iDMX1000 off a standard lor adapter (couldn't get a 500k to work).

After much frustration of changing out stuff, splitting the 12ccrs to 2 networks of 6 et al  it seems as though the issue is the dmx is too much for my computer (i7 loaded blah blah). From what I see the iDMX is NOT a true converter and that the computer actually processes the dmx signal VERSUS an outboard such as the Enttec device which does all the processing. Is this correct? If it is correct does it speed things up/reduce lag in ones shows by using something other than the LOR iDMX system? I'm sure there are many of you out there with opinions and experience that can point me in the right direction.

THANKS MUCHLY!

The Enttec pro is a good choice (only If you are using DMX 512 controllers).  limit is one universe, although there are a couple of E1.31 protocol converters that have 4 or 6 DMX universes each.  Many or most RGB light controllers on the lighting market now tend to be E1.31 that will not need a dongle (as well as the above mentioned DMX protocol converters as they are also E1.31 at heart).   iDMX although more point and shoot usage are really old school, useful if you can live with the limitations.   Suggestion  rely on E1.31 for lighting and DMX for non lighting items (foggers, laser lights etc.

IDMX seem to have issues when run from anything other than 56k.  You can only run 128 smart channels which is seems you are not up to.... but baud rate of 56k is where you want to set it for those.  I tried the 115k and it messes up a lot.  Myself and others have reported it to LOR and they are working to find the problem... but I wouldn't count on that happening until after Christmas for sure.

OMG! FACEPALM!  First : Plasmadrive... I went into network editor to try only to find out ALL my networks were set to 115k!  For some reason if I set my network from sequence editor it defaults all to 115 BUT I this time set from Network editor/panel and VOILA all works perfect now. Something so simple...  

Jerry... as this year is working I'm in no rush to change... but for my future endeavors your input was most helpful!

Thanks, ALL!

Merry Christmas!

OMG! FACEPALM!  First : Plasmadrive... I went into network editor to try only to find out ALL my networks were set to 115k!  For some reason if I set my network from sequence editor it defaults all to 115 BUT I this time set from Network editor/panel and VOILA all works perfect now. Something so simple...  

Jerry... as this year is working I'm in no rush to change... but for my future endeavors your input was most helpful!

Thanks, ALL!

Merry Christmas!

Does that mean you set it back to 56k and it worked? 

I have never set the network speed from the sequence editor... I didn't even know you could.. learn something new every day..

Does that mean you set it back to 56k and it worked? 

I have never set the network speed from the sequence editor... I didn't even know you could.. learn something new every day..

I only knew you could set in the SE....didn't know you could set elsewhere? Where?

I am now 115 for regular channel (7 ccrs and a few lor boxes (old school 115k), 500 for 12 ccrs and 56k for idmx) - I had originally set 115/500/115 from SE but it was defaulting back to 56 on all 3 networks (as it turns out). I did some test changes and yup... always back to 56 WHEREAS once I did the change from the control panel the changes stayed.   How from SE? - Edit - Preferences - Network Preferences.... But, as mentioned... that MAY be the most useless advice I have ever given out ;)

As per from elsewhere (CLD) - you want to activate the LOR Control Panel (gives you a red lightbulb at the bottom of your screen - right hand side usually) - right click and a bunch of DIRECT options are given. Try it, you just may be running slow speed as I had been up until two days ago!