Light-O-Rama Forums

Unsure About RGB Floods

EmmienLightFan

I want to get an RGB flood to go with a CMB24 but I am unsure of how to power it.

Is the power dangle for the 12 volts power? If that is for power, how do you control it with a CMB24?

EDIT:

Is this any good, and could I trust it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161501041357?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

I will have 1 flood and three dumb ribbons that each consume a bit under 50 watts. 

Edited by EmmienLightFan

I don't know about the reliability but that power supply should work just fine, what will you install the CMB24 and PS into? Verify the voltage switch before you plug it in. I typically always have a spare for of each type of PS I use in my display, can be very disappointing when something in the display goes on early vacation and you don't have a replacement.

Merry Christmas

Daryl B.

Thanks. I have a plug-in power meter, the UK equivelent of a Kill-A-Watt and I will use that to check that it is puttijg out the correct voltages and stuff.

Thanks.

I am unsure of how you tell whether a power supply is capable of powering something with leds. Here, people talk about amperage, but RGB shops talk about Watts.

What do I need to know to work it out?

I ran 8 RGB floods with a converted 250w computer power supply and cat 5 cable.  No problems at Halloween.

I had to upgrade to a 600w computer power supply for my RGB 'mega' tree.

You can also use a deep cycle RV/marine battery if all else fails.  Just make sure to charge it every other day or so.

Lastly,  There are $14 RGB floods that can be easily converted to use as 12v LOR floods!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KYOE2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the flood.  Ignore what it says about only having 16 color tones, thats because the remote for it only allows 16 options.  The LOR controller will have full color control.

Conversion is easy, and you can see video's on you tube.  In a nutshell, you open it, peel the board out (has tape on back) cut the board inside to only have the resistors, and attach the RGB wires to the resistors, and the + line to the LED +.  Remove the little transformer inside and your good to go.  Takes about 10 min.

The 10w are amazingly bright.

Edited by chandalen

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KYOE2Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the flood.  Ignore what it says about only having 16 color tones, thats because the remote for it only allows 16 options.  The LOR controller will have full color control.

Conversion is easy, and you can see video's on you tube.  In a nutshell, you open it, peel the board out (has tape on back) cut the board inside to only have the resistors, and attach the RGB wires to the resistors, and the + line to the LED +.  Remove the little transformer inside and your good to go.  Takes about 10 min.

The 10w are amazingly bright.

Thanks but I was asking the OP what flood he is thinking of using.

I've hacked over 30 of these so I'm good.

I want to get an RGB flood to go with a CMB24 but I am unsure of how to power it.

Is the power dangle for the 12 volts power? If that is for power, how do you control it with a CMB24?

EDIT:

Is this any good, and could I trust it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161501041357?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

I will have 1 flood and three dumb ribbons that each consume a bit under 50 watts. 

What flood are you looking to use. Can you provide a link or a pic?

Edited by Santas Helper

And just to add, there are several different configurations (internally) on these 10W RGB floods so the course of how to hack them will differ.

• Like 1

This answer is for the modifiable RGB Flood lights, NOT the LoR floods.

*The power plug is assuming your using the remote to control the LED, the other dongle if present is for the remote sensor.

Edited by chandalen

The power plug is assuming your using the remote to control the LED, the other dongle if present is for the remote sensor.

You keep saying remote. What remote are you talking about?

The LOR floods connect to the controller.

Ahh, I was answering on my phone, and did not see the full thread!  Now I believe that Emmien was referring to the LOR Floods.   I was referring to the amazon floods.  THEY come with a remote.

To correctly answer Emmien :  The dongle is 18" of wire out of the LoR Floodlight.  The 16' power cord connects to the dongle.

This answer is for the modifiable RGB Flood lights, NOT the LoR floods.

*The power plug is assuming your using the remote to control the LED, the other dongle if present is for the remote sensor.

And to add, you cannot use it in it's current state (with remote) with the LOR controller. It will have to be hacked.

I say this because the use of an LOR controller is in the original question.

Ahh, I was answering on my phone, and did not see the full thread!  Now I believe that Emmien was referring to the LOR Floods.   I was referring to the amazon floods.  THEY come with a remote.

To correctly answer Emmien :  The dongle is 18" of wire out of the LoR Floodlight.  The 16' power cord connects to the dongle.

I understand now. Thanks very much. I will be getting some.

:)

Hacking floods from Amazon doesn't seem bad. It would save a lot of money.

Are there any flood lights that are not 12 V out there?

Just curious.

Why ask?

And welcome aboard. (noticed it's your first post).

Are there any flood lights that are not 12 V out there? 

The majority of flood lights (Normally not LED) are 110v or 240v, depending on where you are.

These are normally just for normal light use and have ordinary bulbs.

There are some energy saving LED ones at the same voltage as well, and after a quick search I found 24v LED floods on Amazon.