Light-O-Rama Forums

How its Made?

Dadhero43

I am a newbie to the light show arena. I will begin to invest in LOR software and hardware in 2015 but feel I will not be ready for any type of light show until Xmas 2016, as I spend quality time doing research, learning, education before I invest. It would be greatly appreciated if some of the experts here could provide any useful information as I am in the learning stage. With that said, I recently saw a light show(Fred Loya's light show) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbO1UZfxKoc . An effect was used on the fence surrounding the house, this effect used lights to display pictures, and messages(like a message board).  How was this accomplished? I have learned Loya hired professionals to come in and program his light show.  Regardless, how did they do it?

How did they do it? Well there is a very expensive program called Matrix. They might have used that. But there is also another program that many have used to create an effect then copy that data and paste it into their S3 LOR software.

Recomendation: Download the S3 program and while it is in demo mode you can create sequences and learn how to use it. These can be saved, but they will not control lights. Until you buy the Lic. Then those sequences will be unlocked and will now control lights. Start now and you might be able to put on your first show in 2015. BTW the program that I was referring to is called Nut Cracker. Another fine program but at this time it is free. But again there is a learning curve.

Thank you Max-Paul that is extremely helpful. I want to understand the dynamics of how light shows are programmed and your advise was helpful thank you. Bear with me as I'm still novice, my research has revealed that color Changing lights is needed in this effect as (C9 Gemmy for example)each individual light has a chip in it that would allow for this effect?

Agreed! No Fred Loya spared no expense for that set up! In my quest to learn about the dynamics of the set up, was just curious about what it took to put all that together. Obviously you can use just any lights, and I at least have learned he most likely used a DMX setup to run that display?

You can create these effects with the aforementioned software. The Superstar program that is an Add-on to the S3 is what a lot of on here use. Regardless, you'll nee to have some sort of pixel matrix. There are a ton of different types out there. The LOR Cosmic Color Devices, available in the LOR Store, plus the WS2801, WS2811, WS2812b, INK1003, just to name a few. Mind you, to create a fence matrix anywhere near that size will cost a small fortune. Most folks are doing a small matrix, anywhere between 20 or 25 pixels wide up to 50 pixels wide and anywhere between 10 and 30 high. It all depends on how far away from your viewers and how deep your pockets are, among other things to consider.

Welcome to the Christmas Light Addict.......er..a...Hobby. Once this path you choose, forever will it dominate your destiny. :P

Lol, yes sir I've got the bug. I wouldn't want anything that size. Like you said the small matrix would be sufficient,when the time comes. Still in the light collecting phase (LED's only).

this guy was also the winner in the battle of lights contest and won lights of the year if i had a couple of 10 of thousands of dollars id do that also LOL

it problably took all year to set up or 2 

Edited by john fulkerson

He uses Madrix software to sequence pixels. Give the sheer numbers, I imagine he's using pixelnet protocol. Even e1.31 would probably not handle that pixel load.

Edited by marsh28