Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 3.12 Scheduler Errors

kevin

This year I seem to be having issues with the Scheduler.  To begin with the Comm Listener will die during a show with the error connection closed while reading msg header. I am only using the e.131 port, no dongles the LOR boards are running in DMX mode, and I am mostly pixels running on Falcon or Lynx controllers. I have the network set up with all univ that I'm using set to multicast and all on port 5568 with the DMX Listener port set at 8837.  When comm listener starts it loads the DMX universes with the correct multicast port and than acceps the connection on Scoket 1320.  When it crashes during the show is when I see the reading msg header error.  It doen't happen at the same time and once it happened after the show was over and waiting for the next nights show.

Another strange thing I see this year that I have never seen before is:

In the show editor I have the Sequences are to be loaded before any are played. The status shows that it is loading the compressed sequences prior to the show beginging.

But during the show see alot of events showing "decaching musical:"  and it appears that prior to each song I see the loading compressed sequence.  I appears that as the show goes on it eventually loads the compressed sequence, starts the musical

ends musical, decaches musical and than does the same again for the next sequence.

I don't remember it being like this last year.  And I have never see the "decaching" status before.  The PC is a new PC with 32G of memory.  I have applied the 8gb patch to all the LOR apps.

Can someone tell me what and why the "Decaching" event means? 

Has anyone else been having issues with the comm listener this year?

• 11 months later...

"Connection closed while reading message header" (or something like that) doesn't mean the Comm Listener is no longer functioning, it means that something that was talking to the Comm Listener is no longer talking to it.  This could be completely normal - for example if the Sequence Editor is talking to the Comm Listener, and you close the Sequence Editor, then the Sequence Editor stops talking to the Comm Listener.  This message is not anything to be concerned about unless it is associated with some sort of strange behavior.

"Decaching" happens when the Show Player needs to load a sequence, but suspects that it doesn't have enough free memory to do so.  It will (essentially) "unload" some sequence or sequences that it currently has loaded, so as to free up memory, before attempting to load the sequence that it actually needs at the moment.  This unloading is referred to as "decaching" the sequence.

It tries to be smart about exactly which sequences it decaches.  For example, if it can figure out that a certain sequence it has in memory is never again going to be played during the rest of the show, that sequence is considered a prime candidate for being decached.

Similarly to the "connection closed while reading message header" thing, this "decaching" is something that you don't need to worry about, unless it seems to be associated with some sort of strange behavior.  These are both just informational messages, not warnings or errors.  They both can be encountered in the normal day-to-day use of the software, and neither of them (in and of itself) indicates that something is going wrong.

• 1 year later...

Bob, is there any way to configure more memory for the show player to use?  I am have the issue of songs decaching after each is played.  This is causing song delays up to 41 seconds.  My Computer is 64bit Windows 7 with 16 gig of ram, I7 processor.

Please advise.