Light-O-Rama Forums

ramsey FM25b Scratchy and crappy sound... Help?

carsonsig

OK.  the set up.  Laptop running LOR, all standard kit.  good MP3's  going from Laptop, out headphone jack to ramsey, out ramsey to stereo for speaker.  speaker sound is fine.  no distortion.

ramsey is in front of garage, single car drive way to street.  across street, it sounds like garbage.   laptop audio is under 50%...  any ideas?  freq is clear...

Get an audio ground loop isolater, plug that into your headphone out jack and then connect it to your Ramsey. Also check the antenna, move it away from any electrical cords, if your using the small whip antenna that came with the Ramsey you may want to consider a Tru-match antenna, here is a link to the one Ramsey sells:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Tru-Match-FM-Broadcast-Antenna-Kit/dp/B0002OERGC

I had some issues with my signal and decided to move it outside, it is currently mounted in a large pine tree!

Craig

I found 2 things that give me distortion, if my florescent lights in the garage are on and if my laptop volume is over 20%. Might check those out.

Matt

I am using the extending metal antenna that came with it now... I am only broadcasting 100 feet...I figured I didnt need more. 

I have the lights off, but I will check the volume and fiddle tomorrow... discovered this at 9 pm..

I had issues with my ransmitter last night and had to reduce the output volume until the static went away.  I had changed input devices and the volume was higher to keep the outside speaker at a decent level, but was overpowering the signal to the transmitter.

You definitely want to make sure you are not overdriving the audio into the transmitter. The FM25B has line level in and out connectors, and it is possible to over drive the transmitter and still have undistorted signal on the line output to your stereo. One way to check if its being over driven versus a weak signal is to us a portable receiver, like your car radio and listen in the driveway in front of the garage, if it sounds ok then its not being overdriven,if distorted adjust the level until it clears then move the car away until it distorts due to a weak signal, hopefully you have enough range. I have the FM 30B which has the same output power as the FM25B I use a 5/8 wavelength vertical and my range limit before distortion from a weak signal is about a mile. Using the telescopic antenna that came with the transmitter I was lucky to get 300 feet.

Doug

ok, I bought a few things.

audio ground loop isolater off amazon.  seems to take a bit of the bass off?  but I dont care.

dipole FM antenna, hardware store. as well as the adapter to go from the screw on spade connecter to the female

3.5mm splitter... figured I would ISO the FM radio from the stereo instead of running laptop->fm->stereo... dont know if that matters..., but who knows.

and a nicer 3.5mm cable. 

Ran the FM dipole out the garage door ( I knew that huge gap from my house settling would come into play) and hooked it across the fascia above my garage doors...

It is WAAAY better.  I can CRANK the radio across the street now.  it is clear and no HUUUUUM!  A little gutless maybe... like I said... seems the bass is gone...  but I am not running a rap show.

thanks everyone!