Light-O-Rama Forums

Vimeo Took Down My Video

derekb

Well, last year I was able to post videos. Not this year. Vimeo took down my first video for this year. I submitted the fair use appeal and they denied it. Hope everyone else has better luck.

I have not got hit yet. Mine all say. Interpretation in lights fair use.

Any TSO?  I've talked to a few people and it seems they have issues with TSO on you tube and vimeo.

Last year I had facebook remove a Lindsey Stirling video.

Edited by 75redman

I only tried one video this year so far. I put the fair use statement in the description and still got removed. Then I appealed for fair use and they denied the appeal. Considering the time it takes me to cut the video up into individual songs and add the music at the right spot, I might give up for now posting video.

PMC ran a contest last year with a TSO poster as a prize (Which I proudly have).  He's worked with TSO and talked with them about us Lighters...  They know what we do, and he even said something to the effect that they think of us when they write music.  I wonder if we could work a deal with them to benefit us lighters in general.  Face it, we make a  lot of their stuff out there very popular.

PMC ran a contest last year with a TSO poster as a prize (Which I proudly have).  He's worked with TSO and talked with them about us Lighters...  They know what we do, and he even said something to the effect that they think of us when they write music.  I wonder if we could work a deal with them to benefit us lighters in general.  Face it, we make a  lot of their stuff out there very popular.

Aint this the truth. I remember back about 9 years ago seeing for the first time WOW by Carson. I was hooked after seeing it. Took me a few years to do my first show and going to my first TSO concert, and buying my first TSO CD.

I had the same issue last night,  Did a video of Spiralings Do you hear what I hear. Sent in the fair use and it was denied. You can hear traffic and me muffling the camera around. I hardly think it would impact the group other than once some one see's my video they would want a high quality version of the music. Now the whole account with 4 other videos is locked. When it unlocks i'm deleting video's and Vimeo account. I'll keep my you tube account.It's good for looking up video's on garbage disposal replacements....

I finally figured out that my OneDrive account allows me to embed my videos on my website. I am done with Youtube and Vimeo and just linking the videos myself from where they are already stored anyway. It seems to work ok.

Edited by derekb

I had the exact same thing with them yesterday. Tried and tried and they flat refused. Talk to me about this "One Drive" and how it works please. I know I have it with Windows 8.1 but I've not investigated it yet.

I uploaded 18 videos on Sunday.  One of them got denied... Christmas vacation theme song.  I uploaded it again... it got denied.  I uploaded it a third time and it was accepted.  Maybe I wore down their computer program that searches the videos.  Anyway, here's hoping that my 18 stay up!  I would also be interested in the one drive instructions as I have a feeling that Vimeo may become an issue. 

Edited by Jim Hans

I already back up to Microsoft's cloud service, onedrive.live.com, you can create folders, and store all your files. I was just messing around with it the other day and clicked on the share button and there are options to send email invite, post on social media, or embed HTML. I chose the last option and it gave me the code to put on my website. Sure enough I now have the videos on my website and all my files are in one location.

Edited by derekb

• 2 weeks later...

Aint this the truth. I remember back about 9 years ago seeing for the first time WOW by Carson. I was hooked after seeing it. Took me a few years to do my first show and going to my first TSO concert, and buying my first TSO CD.

I actually came across a video just the other day that highlights this exactly.

It's the TSO Founder Paul O'Neill in an interview and he clearly states that if it weren't for us (particularly Mr. Carson Williams) using their music to our light shows they wouldn't be as big a hit as they are now. So maybe the TSO needs to get with YouTube to lay off the removal of our light show videos so that more people could view them and in turn promote the music of not only TSO but everyone else that is featured in our light shows. It's not like we are trying to make money off the use of the music we feature.

A few years ago, TSO ran a contest and part of it was that you uploaded the songs to Youtube. Mine were up there for a while, but eventually removed. I don't think it's TSO that's the issue at all, I think it's their label.

If I post videos online again, I think I'll do Chiron Beta Prime (very oddball Jonathan Coulton Christmas song) and House on Christmas Street. Coulton releases all his songs under an Attribution-NonCommercial Creative Commons license and we know Judy has no issues with it, and she owns all rights.

I started to upload to Vimeo this year and I had the same issue; about 1/2 of my videos were being rejected.  I filled out the fair use forms and they were all denied.  I was so frustrated, I cancelled my vimeo+ account and deleted everything.

I'm now hosting all of my videos on OneDrive without any issues and it is free.

There's another thread over in the "My Christmas Display" section of the forum on the same subject of Vimeo deleting our videos. I wrote to Vimeo and asked for an explanation and actually got a detailed response. You'll find it here:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/31153-vimeo-following-youtube/#entry316342

Yeah, that's the same or near same response "canned" they send to everyone. Apparently they are out to lose business. As soon as I verify my uploads to OneDrive or this other place I'm trying, I'll cancel my Vimeo account too

I've already allowed my Vimeo membership to expire without renewal a few days ago. I moved my videos to my personal web site where I can stream what I want with unlimited bandwidth. I'm hoping LOR will allow video submissions for the 2014 Christmas contest from personal web sites.

• The topic was locked