Light-O-Rama Forums

3 Pixels in a row not displaying green on CCR

kneel999

I tested my CCR tree tonight and 3 pixels in a row in the middle of the strip won't display green. Red and blue work fine.

I tried resetting the controller but nothing. Is the strip bad? Any suggestions??

Thanks

Neal

Sounds like bad pixels to me. 

For myself, this is a really annoying thing with RGB.  I could probably ignore a pixel a bit if it was just as simple as green not working, But every time a color mix like yellow is called for, it also jumps out as a different color pixel.

I am no expert on this stuff but have discovered sometimes it's the working pixel just before one that is out, causing problems.

Steve

Edited by steve synek

I have this same issue (green missing).  Worst part is that sometimes the problem goes away on it's own, but then comes back just to annoy the heck out of me.  Has anyone been able to fix this problem?  I'm willing to dissect the CCR.

post-401-0-04222700-1417049037_thumb.jpg

post-401-0-83205700-1417049037_thumb.jpg

The worst part of bad pixels is that LOR makes you buy the entire replacement strip!  In the LOR CCR instructions, it states:

"LOR does stock ribbon sections that can be purchased should you damage your ribbon when cutting it or by accidentally standing on it, etc."

If LOR does not sell these sections, then why put it in the instructions manual???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fired up my 8 LOR CCR's  that I bought this year with the CMB24.  No Green On one ribbon.  Thought I hooked something up wrong BUT I did not.  

Tree line looks terrible with one purple when the rest are white, and no light when the rest are Green.  I bought these to experiment with, and right now I am not impressed.

I wouldn't mind if LOR sold individual repair sections.  As it stands now, I only see that I have to repair the whole ribbon to fix just one small section.

I had this problem with one pixel (3 LEDs) refusing to display green.  Of course, you could have any combination of red and blue.

I have not personally tried this, but I believe the following is true.  You could cut out the offending section.  Then splice it back together.  This would leave you with a short CCR but the magic is that the section that will not display is the 50th section, the one at the bottom.  I'd bet you don't care as much about that one as you do about one in the middle.

For me, my CCRs are so laboriously installed in my display that all fixes are labor intensive.  So I just replaced the CCR with a spare.

Stanward

I am not sure why, but twice I have been able to purchase repair pixels/ damaged pixels from LOR.  Maybe you didn't ask nicely. :D

From a repair stand point, I cut CCRs for the outline of my windows. The longest section is only 12 pixels. I have found that trying to work with just that length has been tough to remove the sleeve and reinstall the ribbon. I can't imagine trying to get a whole ribbon moving inside the sleeve.  I truly think when working my short sections, I have strained the good pixels. I have found that baby powder has helped get the sleeve back on. 

I would suggest to anyone trying to make a repair/ replacement pixel, to get a long flat surface and two people to work the ribbon out of the sleeve.  I would describe it as trying to get your finger out of a rubber glove when your hands are wet and the glove sticks.  The first person would have to pinch the ribbon while the second person works the sleeve.  I have also found it helpful to leave a pair of very small conductors (covered in baby powder) connected to the ribbon - being pulled into the sleeve as the ribbon comes out. I have found it helps to get the ribbon back in the sleeve.  Caution....pull lightly on the wire so you don't tear the trace off the ribbon when reinstalling in the sleeve. ( by small wire, I use a pair of cat5 wires)

On my last repair, I was in a hurry and just cut the sleeve at the damaged pixel, worked the damaged pixel out of the shorter sleeve and replaced it. I gave the joint a quick shot of silicone and put a piece of shrink tube over it. Time will tell how it holds up.

Steve

A very nice person on the Facebook LOR users site is sending me an extra 18" piece he had sitting around after custom cutting some of his.

I'll let everyone know how it goes in replacing that section.

Very hopeful and excited that I won't have to buy another replacement strip!!

So I replaced the 3 pixels that were bad (not displaying green) and it didn't work, I tried a different section of the 18" piece that was sent to me and it didn't work either. So I tried just soldering the two sections together with the bad pixels removed and that also didn't work so I started thinking that there must be something wrong either before or after the bad pixels that making them not work correctly so I cut out the 3 pixels before and after the bad section so now 9 pixels were removed. I soldered in the new section of 9 pixels and yeah! it started working again!

Too bad one of my other strips had a rip in the weatherproof jacket and we had 1 1/2" of rain and when I turned it on the next day it burned out. Back to the drawing board.

• 1 month later...

Related question: Are the LPD6803 strips the same as CCR's? Physically they look nearly identical. I've got four of them and was messing with one the other night. Looked great but I wasn't able to compare it to the single CCR that I also own due to time contraints. I will this weekend but wondering if anyone has purchased the 6803's for CCR's and do the "appear" to look the same when running?

Knell999, I'm curious.  Were the pixels working fine when you first put them up or have they been failing since the install?

dgrant,

I purchased some 6803 and they are identically physically to the LOR CCR's, the only difference was the color order. The 6803 I purchased turned out to be RGB, the LOR CCR's are GRB.

dgrant,

I purchased some 6803 and they are identically physically to the LOR CCR's, the only difference was the color order. The 6803 I purchased turned out to be RGB, the LOR CCR's are GRB.

Ahhhh...I didn't know that. Thank you very much for that info as that's very important. I suppose when they are together and being commanded, they would be the same colors, given the CCR's commanded normally via LOR's own CCR controller and a pixel controller running the 6803's as RGB normal.

I did confirm that the LPD6803 strips are indeed GRB. Simple matter to tell the controller to reverse it to RGB to GRB then the colors came out as they should. Obviously LOR's special controller handles this for us. Thanks again to Frank Farmer for that!

Knell999, I'm curious.  Were the pixels working fine when you first put them up or have they been failing since the install?

They were fine for a couple of years then went bad. It turns out that the pixels or circuit before the bad pixels were actually the problem not the 3 pixels themselves.

I replaced not just the (what I thought) 3 bad pixels but the 3 before and after them and it started working again.

I did confirm that the LPD6803 strips are indeed GRB. Simple matter to tell the controller to reverse it to RGB to GRB then the colors came out as they should. Obviously LOR's special controller handles this for us. Thanks again to Frank Farmer for that!

Could you please tell me where you got your Non-Lor  6803 strips from? 

Could you please tell me where you got your Non-Lor  6803 strips from? 

Ray Wu

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC5V-WS2801-32leds-m-with-32pixels-m-led-digital-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-black/701799_1868610316.html

Now until I receive them and test them, I won't be sure they'll work the same as LOR's but giving it a try. I'll test as soon as I receive them within the next two weeks or so. Remember, they are indeed, GRB, not RGB so you need to alter the controller to compensate. LOR's controller does this already plus who knows what else along with their RS485 comm buss.

Edited by dgrant

The LOR CCR controller also handles shimmer and twinkle at the hardware level.  If you use another pixel controller those features are handled in the software.  You can use the same sequence and not tell the difference.

Edited by Frank Farmer