Light-O-Rama Forums

Fades on one channel causing random flicker on others

jeffl

I have an issue where I have about 6 "Incandescent" channels that flicker when they are not programmed in 3-4 sequences.  After testing every combination known to man including network cables, multiple dongles,multiple different controllers, recreating the sequence and isolating my show to just this controller, I have come to the conclusion that I have two channels that when cleared everything works fine.

The only thing I can conclude is that when I clear these two channels everything works.  Even changing these channels to a different IDs / controller has no affect.

I think it has something to do with the long fades of these channels but I can't figure out why that would affect any thing.  Luckily it's only happening on half my sequences.  The odd thing is the sequences computer , LOR software version is all the same as last year.

My show is 100% DMX so my guess is the DMX stream is somehow getting jumbled.  

Any thoughts.  Things I could look of?  After 10 hours of troubleshooting I'm exhausted.

I had something strange happen which may or may not be related to your issue. This is a first year for a new pixel tree running on E1.31 DMX over TCPIP for me. My tests on the pixel tree earlier in the year went just fine with no issues seen. But when I put it all up for the show, I loaded a show just to test everything and sure enough, I had random flickering going on, with the pixel tree only. I read in here somewhere to possibly change the show load option in the show editor, to load the show before playing as opposed to loading when needed. So I tried that and sure enough, the flicking vanished. Now I don't have a clue why this was this way other than the computer wasn't fast enough to get all the data loaded into RAM memory or some other unknown reason. Its also been suggested by DevMike(Admin) to turn on the Load Compressed sequences as it supposedly saves time/memory and is more efficient for the show player.

Not sure that this is what's happening to you or not but its something to try. Oh, also make sure you aren't running any other E1.31 program at the same time...like xLights. Flickering will result.

Edited by dgrant

Good points to check.  I do have these options set on the show computer.  During my testing I stripped it down to just an Entec Pro adapter, laptop and the one controller not hooked to anything else and could still reproduce the issue. 

I spent some time analyzing the XML and cleaning up the sequence.  I'll test it tonight and see what it looks like.  If this doesn't work then I'm going to test with xLights or the Pi to see if it's a player issue.

That was my first test.  I stripped my setup down to just one controller and I can still reproduce it.  I have two channels that if I delete everything from them it goes away.  I just don't get it.  More testing........  Thanks