Light-O-Rama Forums

How many channels can 500k adapter handle

Gilles

yes you can do it.  But  I think your question has an unsaid 'without problems' on it.    Maybe you want to see if you are satisfied with the matrix effects first.    A complex pattern with all pixels changing at once could show some lags.   

• 9 months later...

I just received a HS adapter that I'm hoping to use to eliminate my other adapters.  I have 3 CCP controllers...6 CCR's....2-24CMB boards...and 2-16 channel LOR controllers with 100% LED, if that matters.  If you DON'T recommend putting everything on 1 network, what is the best combination using the HS and the other 2 adapters I have?

Also, what do I need to do in order to get the HS adapter to actually be utilized as high speed?  Do I need to change it in network preferences or is it automatically recognized and played at high speed?

Edited by drivemewilder

drivemewilder:  The issue isn't how much you can connect to the same network, in theory you could run 240 controllers on the same network, and if each of those controllers were a CCR, you'd have like 37,680 channels on the same network, double that for the 2-string CCB's.  Hardware utility can see it all, and you can sequence any of it.

The limitation is how many events you can send down the wire at once.  If your display doesn't change extremely fast or only parts of it change at any given time, or latency isn't a huge problem, you should be fine.  When you "fade down" a single CCR, (unless you're using the macro channels) LOR could potentially be sending 150 commands every 100th of a second.  The network is fast and the commands are small, but it's still a bunch of data.  Your mileage may vary considerably.

As ItsMeBobO said, give it a try and see if you notice any delays or inconsistencies.  They would show up as pixels not turning on or off all together -- a ribbon will appear to "chase" off, rather than just turning off.  All that said, adding a second network only costs another USB485 adaptor and additional cat-5 cabling.

• 2 weeks later...

Following.  I recently purchased 12 CCRs and a high speed adapter to add to my 12 16 channel controllers.  Should I put all CCRs on high speed and 12 controllers on the old, or split 6CCRs and 6 controllers on each adapter?  I am not up to speed ( pun not intended) on adding networks or CCRs.

Your 16-channel controllers may or may not run at 500k. If not, it will prevent the high speed adaptor from using that speed. You should be able to run all the CCRs at 500K on one network. I'd keep the regular controllers on their existing network. If there's any lag on the CCRs you can always move one or two of them to the older network.

• Like 1

Here is my 2cents based of personal experience...

As msturtz stated....it's not the number of channels, but how much data your pushing down that line. Running 12 CCRs or 1800chs should be no problem in a single network....as long as your sequence isn't too busy. You could probably run more. Thrown in fast moving busy sequences....and watch it lag. Add singing faces which the timing is super important and it looks like your watching a bad foreign to English dub movie. I experience lag with 6 CCRs on a single network because the sequence was created used crazy fast moving effects. Again...6 CCRs or 900chs on a single network and I experienced lag. And not just a little.

Gilles, I believe that is way too much for one 500k network if you plan to use anything other than all channels fading to the simple colors. I don't even think 3 or 4 networks will be enough with that many channels if you have a really busy sequences. This is just based off my experience and I tend to use lots of fast moving effects. Yours may be different and less networks run fine.

My opinion with that many channels.....I would use a E1.31 dmx bridge. You'll probably need 2 or 3 bridges as they are 4-6 dmx universes each. Or you could use a 682 or 6804 as a dmx bridge which each can handle 12 universes or 6120chs.

Adding one more thought to Kevin's excellent post.    Some lag is not as obvious as other lag.   With matrixed lights where 12 or more strings are side by side, you have a high expectation that response is the same on all strings.   If you are using strings to outline your house or for arches the same lag may not be a concern since you do not have the reference nearby to compare.     My setup has all the AC controllers on one slower speed network, The RBG has one network for each 300 pixels on matrixes and one network for each 600 pixels on the house and arches.   I had to buy a 10 port USB hub for this.   I am satisfied with response and I am using all LOR HS adaptors.

One tip would be to not overlap your unit numbers.    Assign units as if you had only the one adapter.    Later if you decide to split a matrix into multiple networks it will be much easier to do.  

• Like 1

Thank you.  I guess it's time to get it all hooked up and see if there is any lag.  I am using the CCRs as a 12 string tree with mostly morphs so it may be a concern.  I am going to keep the 16 channel controllers on the slower adapter.  I can always get another high speed adapter if I need it.  Hopefully, I can understand adding the new networks.  I've been away from LOR for a bit and not too computer savy

Thank you.  I guess it's time to get it all hooked up and see if there is any lag.  I am using the CCRs as a 12 string tree with mostly morphs so it may be a concern.  I am going to keep the 16 channel controllers on the slower adapter.  I can always get another high speed adapter if I need it.  Hopefully, I can understand adding the new networks.  I've been away from LOR for a bit and not too computer savy

It's not that complicated, I could help you if need be

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about a regular adapter! I bought the high speed to handle my CCR's, but I also added a couple more CCP's. So I am looking to have on 1 regular speed network: 3 CCP's, 3 CMB24's, and 2-16 channel PC controllers. So 8 controllers with 5 of them just changing colors. Seems like a lot on 1 network to me, but then only 3 of them are capable of being "busy."

What about a regular adapter! I bought the high speed to handle my CCR's, but I also added a couple more CCP's. So I am looking to have on 1 regular speed network: 3 CCP's, 3 CMB24's, and 2-16 channel PC controllers. So 8 controllers with 5 of them just changing colors. Seems like a lot on 1 network to me, but then only 3 of them are capable of being "busy."

Sounds ok to me.  You didnt say how the 3 CCPs are being used.   You understand AC controllers & CCPs on the same network will limit the network to the slower speeds.    

I'm actually not smart enough to understand how to use CCP's any way except to chase and change colors.  If there are more options, I'm ignorant to them.  1 CCP is used for 4 arches, the other 2 outline my roof.  I don't macro or micro jack crap, I have no clue what any of that even means! If you suggest putting AC controllers on a separate network than the CCP's, I can do that.  My AC controllers are responsible for my mega tree (using 12 channels), and the other is responsible for strobes/(3) 3 color stick trees, and led icicles.

Matrix pixels will have more complex patterns and very demanding expectations that each pixel has no lag compared to the overall pattern.    For your arch and house outline you will be ok I think.   But when you make future plans you should plan your networks by the max speed of each controller which will be on it.   If you are able to split off the CCPs to another network,  the CCP network can run at a higher speed.

You can see what Macros do with this program  http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2010/MacroMaestro.exe        They are another tool in the tool set which can speed up programming, reduce network traffic.  I use them a lot for arches and outlines.  Not used much for matrix pixels. 

Thank you!  I appreciate any and all help.  I'm phasing out all controllers that are not CCR/CCP or dumb boards.  I had 5 in years past, now I'm down to 2 and I'm probably stuck with those.  I have a mega tree with 4 colors and too many LED's to start over or eliminate.  And my LED icicles, LED snowflakes, and strobes.  I doubt I will ever get away from these props and will always have 2 controllers.  I could easily put those 2 controllers on their own network if you suggest it.  I would have 6 CCR's on my HS adapter.  2 DC controllers on a second network, and 3 CCP's and 3 CMB24 boards on a third network.

• 10 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2014 at 8:54 AM, Gilles said:

I have 8 16-channel controllers, 24 ccp strings, 8 flood lights. Can I put them all in one 500k adapter?

Gilles, how did it work out for you last season?

2 minutes ago, Brucey said:

Gilles, how did it work out for you last season?

If you put your mouse over the users profile pic you will notice that Giles has not been on since Dec 2015.